TFB - to Nationals and Beyond!

teamfatboy

Sunday 12 August...

Gave in to the inevitable, moved journal to the right place...

Anyhow, after the Nationals I've been thinking about goals for the rest of the year, and a plan...

So, next comp may be the Raw Nats in Tauranga on 03 November, as I don't think I'll be in town for the Bledisbro. Rather than get all experimental, I'll stick with what I know - a couple of Sheiko #29s with test days then a Sheiko 5wk Comp programme to finish. Unimaginative, doesn't "shock the system", but I know how to make it work.

Goals - got myself a three-tier plan:

a. top goal and gold-medal standard is 575kg - 225kg each in Squat and Deadlift, 125 in bench - why? Psychologically, there's something about a bar full of red plates - four/side for the big lifts, two reds/side for bench. No little biscuits, just red plates and the bar - oh, and it's also the black standard for 105s, which I could reach with attention to diet;

b. 545 kg is the silver medal - that'd be a 100 kg improvement in the twelve months since my first comp, last year's Bledisbro; and

c. 535 kg is the bronze medal - that's the brown standard, qualifier for the Masters-2 Oceanias. I'm not contemplating actually going to Oceanias, but a comp PB at that level would be a good goal. It might be e.g. 210 squat, 115 bench, 210 deadlift, for instance - up 10 on squat, up five each on bench and deadlift over previous PBs.

The top goal would be a helluva stretch - it's better than 10% up on current comp PBs in three months, but if I don't aim high, how will I know? Besides, I know my lifts have woeful technical faults which, if I fix them, can take me some of the way.

Views ?

For a minute there I thought you'd joined CAPO when I saw your journal title.....just kidding...I'm naughty :naughty: but the dark side welcomes you TFB \:D/

Just a thought about doing back to back sheiko training...can you fit in an assist day each week. I think it is important to try and build on other body parts to support the three lifts. While you will get gains doing sheiko cycles I think you would get better gains by adding in some other movements. We also know sheiko is hard on joints so prehab is vital. Sheiko also doesn't improve your form if you have technical issues...it tends to enhance them due to the sheer volume that you are doing. I have done a few sheiko cycles now and will they are great for a short peaking to comp I now think there are better ways to get there. Just my 2 cents worth....I'm sure you will be discussing this plan with OB or some of the guys at PH who have more knowledge on such matters than little ole me :grin:

Cheers, Barbelle...

Yes, you're right, assist work is important, I didn't elaborate on how the weeks would look.

I've yet to talk with OB or others up at the 'House in any real detail, but I'll likely use a couple of other days for pre-hab and assistance work, esp on shoulders. Those other days would also be for drills on form - dropping the weights back and embedding proper muscle memory so that good form becomes second nature.

I'm also open to other suggestions :pray:

Tuesday 14 August

Sheiko #29, week 1, day 1

Bench

1x 5x 60, 2x 4x 72.5, 2x 3x 85, 5x 3x 90

Squat

1x 5x 100, 2x 5x 120, 5x 5x 140

Bench

1x 5x 60, 1x 5x 72.5, 4x 4x 85

Some press-ups and good-mornings with a heavy bag, once I got home.

Call that "cardio", Boris-style... first day back under the bar since the nationals, happy to be started again :D

Thursday 16 August

[while walking like John Wayne from Tuesday's squats]

general conditioning workout - arms/shoulders

DB curls superset with CG Press - 10s with 10/15/ 17.5db and 40/50/60 bb

low-pulley curls superset with T-bar pressdowns 3x 10x something in pounds

Standing Press 3x 10x not much :roll:

DB 21s front fly/side raise/rear fly w 7s, 8s, 9s.

DB Shrugs 10x 30s, 10x 40s, 10x 40s

And done. Arms now not working. :nod:

Thursday 16 August - again

Having thought in more detail about my programme, I've concluded that a smart move would be to take the time to re-train my deadlift to conventional from sumo.

So, after some front squats for fun (triples at 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, and 90 kg and a failed 100), I took the script from Sheiko #29, Week 1, Day 2:

Deadlifts

1x 3x 100, 2x 3x 120, 2x 3x 140... then back reminded me that it wasn't entirely happy about what I'd done to it at the Nats with a 200kg stiff-leg in my last lift, so I called-time.

It's clear I'll need some expert advice, so I'll get myself up the 'House to diagnose and re-set the script. Things like work on hip flexibility, to get down for the pull and keep the curve in the back, for instance. I'll work-up a script which includes more drills to re-set the muscle memory - work that and review at the 9-week-out point.

But, there's still time :)

Saturday 18 August

General-purpose back day

Seated ISO CG row done unilaterally

10s at 30, 40, 50 kg/ side

WG LPD

10s at 56, 63, 70 kg

BB hi pulls (yes, i know this is more about shoulders, but..)

10s at 30, 35, 40 kg

DB Row

10s at 25, 30, 35, 40 kg

Stiff-arm DB Pull-overs

10s at 20, 25, 30 and 8x 35 kg...

That'll do.

Tuesday 21 Aug

Bench conditioning day

warm-ups, broomsticks and rotator cuff stuff.

BB Bench

20x 40, 10x 50, 5x 60/70/80/90/90

Flies 2x 10x 15s, 3x 10x 17s

DB Bench

5x 25s, 30s, 35s and 40s... was running out of oomph so decided not to tempt fate with the 45s.... CityFatness was getting crowded with the chest-n-arms crowd, none of whom seem to have mastered the art of picking up after themselves :evil:

Wow, talk about predicting the future - 11 hour day in the office...

But, tried a CrossFit WoD for the first time...

Wod: 32/24 KB

30s k/b snatch right arm / 30s rest

30s kb snatch left arm / 30s rest

30s supine ring rows / 30s rest

30s kb thrusters (alt arms) / 30s rest

4 rounds

Record reps.

Picked the easy option :roll: of the 24kg kettle, and gave it a lash.

Round one - 10, 10, 10, 10... so far so good

Round two - 10, 10, 10, 10... starting to see things

Round three - 8, 7, 10, 9

Round four - 7, 6, 10, 9

Total reps: 40 + 40 + 34 plus 32 equals 146. :oops: :-x

Still, at least I didn't launch the kettle across the room in the snatch, and I still have a pulse...

Real training tomorrow - deadlifts for sure :)

\:D/ plenty more wods in my handy dandy notebook, should you want to get your crossfluff on :grin:
Have you got wods that involve a lot of lying down and not moving 8)

Otherwise, "gee, thanks" :grin:

As far as hi-intensity cardio goes, it'll do for in-between respectable gym work....

Actually, it was good, harsh but good. I can probably pick up a few reps with technique.... and INB4 u say it

Practice practice practice :nod:

I learnz, I learnz.... I googlez snatch :shifty:

I think some of those strength WoDs could help with shoulder power, and speed, flexibility.

Watched a vid of drop-snatch, can see how some of those lifts could help with flexibility, for instance. Got a week or so left before I need to knuckle down for Raw Classic, so might look at programming them in for cardio days.

Yep, you're right... an oly bar and wooden dummy-plates could be fun.

I think I've a coupla things to think about...

a. the lack of bumper plates and alloy bars. The gyms I've access to don't have the plates, and cast iron would shatter;

b. for me, the practice and improved flexibility would be good gains. Drop-snatch would help with dropping hips, a bug-bear of my deadlifts.

But after a demon day in the office yesterday, today is all about zee deadlifts 8)

Saturday 25 August

Sheiko #29, Week 1, Day 2

Deads - paused at knees.

1x 5x 100, 2x 4x 120, 2x 4x 140 and 4x 3x 150

Incline Bench 4x 6x 40

Machine Dips 5x 5x whatever

Rack pulls - bar 50mm below kneecap

1x 4x 110, 1x 4x 130, 2x 4x 150, 4x 3x 170

Lunges - 5x 5x 24kg powerbag

Abs 5x 10x crunch w/ 10kg plate

Deads - tried conventional on the paused-at-knees, wasn't too bad 'til 75%, then I found it too difficult not to round-back it so swapped to sumo. The rackpulls were in a power cage, so I had no choice but to stick with conventional, still not happy with form.

But, time in the gym is time in the gym :)

I'm thinking that 'til I start the run-up to Tauranga I might bail on the Sheiko template at least for deads, and focus on trying to obtain some respectable form for conventional. It'd be nice not to look like a 200kg stiff-leg... and it sucked not nailing a PB on deads at the Nationals smiley-angry013.gif

I think I need some words from the Wise One...

• 2 weeks later...

OMG - hadn't trained (well, cardio doesn't count) for a week!

Weds 05 Sept

Squats

2x 5x 60/80/100/120/140 and a double at 160

Chucks, no sleeves and belt only at 140 (70%).

Bench

1x 5x 60/70/80/90/90/80/70/60

Had to do something... so just ripped it about... took both squat and bench up to reasonable percentages, so happy enough for now :?

Off to re-map training - may not be going to Tauranga now, so will be evaluating options including BBro.

Monday 10 September

Sheiko #29, Week 1, Day 2

Deads - paused at knees.

1x 5x 100, 2x 4x 120, 2x 4x 140 and 5x 2x 160

Incline Bench 4x 6x 50

Machine Dips 5x 5x whatever

Rack pulls - bar 50mm below kneecap

1x 4x 110, 1x 4x 130, 2x 4x 150, 4x 3x 170

Lunges - 5x 5x 24kg powerbag

Abs 5x 10x crunch w/ 10kg plate

Deads - tried conventional on the paused-at-knees again, still not happy.

Will get help :)

Felt good to lift things - life gets in the way : :boohoo:

Tuesday 11 September

We will remember....

Quick ad-hoc upper-body workout

Warmed up with high pulls, 20 and 30kg

Standing Press 10x at 30, 35, 40

Front and side raises, 3x 10x each at 8/9/10

Rear delt flies 3x 10x 8/9/10

Hammer curls 3x 10x 15s

CG Press 3x 10x at 40/ 50/ 60 and done

Just wanted to hit something other than the main lifts...