High Rep Training

shane

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you consider high rep training, Shane? Mostly my reps will be between 8-12, sometimes I'll go down to 4 or up to 15.

Occasionally I'll finish a workout with high-rep stuff (say 20-30 reps) just to change things up a bit, but I don't do it consistently enough to be able pin any gains specifically on that alone.

What do you consider high rep training, Shane? Mostly my reps will be between 8-12, sometimes I'll go down to 4 or up to 15.

Occasionally I'll finish a workout with high-rep stuff (say 20-30 reps) just to change things up a bit, but I don't do it consistently enough to be able pin any gains specifically on that alone.

100 reps from time to time :)

I just started 50,40,30,20,10 four exercises per body part but three for tri's and two for bi's. Just going to give this a whirl done the heavy as low rep for years time for a change. Your form has to be fairly good as you can get fatigued easy :grin:

The only time that I do high rep training is when my joints start to hurt then I change to high rep training and I do that for about a month until I go back to ten to 12 reps with the rep rang ranging from 20 to 30 reps also I have used FST-7 when doing high reps.

Everyone should be doing both as part of their training cycle. Heavy low rep sets are far superior though for both strength and mass gains. So long as you keep overall volume at the right amount.

Riccardo - Would you say heavy low rep sets, say 4-6 are better for mass gain over 8-12 reps? As long as the total number of overall reps remained the same. So if you did 8-12 reps for four sets you would need to do about 8 sets of 4-6? Keeping the total reps around 48?

Yip, It's my belief that, generally, a certain amount of volume results in hypertrophy not a combination of reps vs sets. However I also believe that you need a certain amount of mechanical tension to stimulate maximum hypertrophy, depending on the individual, that tension is generally achieved at weights greater than those in which you could achieve a couple sets of 20 reps at. Tensions less than this won't be great enough to stimulate hypertrophy via mechanical stress.

if you look at Olympic weightlifters they very rarely go beyond 5 rep sets and have ridiculous quads. 10 sets of 3 is the same as 3 sets of 10 in my opinion.

Whether you should use one particular rep/set scheme depends on the muscle fiber type. eg hammies should be trained with lower reps and quads trained with higher reps.

i think these comments must be clarified and put in context, cos you are now talking about different things.

* there is no difference in overall volume between 3 sets of ten, ten sets of 3, or 30 singles with the same weight. the total tonnage/volume is the same.

* time under tension principals obviously change things, as your time under tension doing 3 reps with a weight you can comfortably do 10 with, most likely wont be optimal.

This is why programmes like sheiko are set up how they are, with lots of sets of low reps - as if you do 10 reps, your last 5 reps of that set will have at least some fatigue/form breakdown present. but if you did the same weight for 10 sets of 3 reps, your form on all 30 reps would be done at a faster speed, with better form - but total volume is just as high

cliffs - this topic is goal dependant 8)

10 sets of 3 is the same as 3 sets of 10 in my opinion.

What do you base this on? have you read some obscure study that had findings like this? can you please link this for everyone to be as informed as you seem to be?

Have you actually tried 10 sets of your 3 rep max compared to 3 sets of your 10 rep max? If you have and still think they are the same then I'm pretty sure its a delusion or you're doing it wrong.

Olympic lifters often do higher reps when practicing speed on certain parts of lifts. The weight is lower so they can perform at a higher velocity and its nowhere near failure.

I haven't seen that great a leg development on olympic lifters compared to bodybuilders, sure they have decent legs but nowhere near the level of development size wise as a bodybuilder.

What do you base this on? have you read some obscure study that had findings like this? can you please link this for everyone to be as informed as you seem to be?

Have you actually tried 10 sets of your 3 rep max compared to 3 sets of your 10 rep max? If you have and still think they are the same then I'm pretty sure its a delusion or you're doing it wrong.

Olympic lifters often do higher reps when practicing speed on certain parts of lifts. The weight is lower so they can perform at a higher velocity and its nowhere near failure.

I haven't seen that a great a leg development on olympic lifters compared to bodybuilders, sure they have decent legs but nowhere near the level of development size wise as a bodybuilder.

inb4 graphs telling you why your wrong

I haven't seen that great a leg development on olympic lifters compared to bodybuilders, sure they have decent legs but nowhere near the level of development size wise as a bodybuilder.

Both are the same in a properly designed training cycle from my own observations. Refer to my original comment. Time under tension is not in of itself the important factor you are training a particular energy system so you can still tap into different systems using lower rep ranges. Yes body builders have bigger legs but they also are on a lot more drugs. Look at the combination of weightlifters and mild drug use (Ivan stoistov). I know a few bbers train with similar methodologies.