10-12 Week Sheiko Template for Squats

Phedder

Alrighty, I'm currently trying to put together a bit of a mongrel of a training program for after nationals. I'm dead set (no pun intended) on doing the Coan/Phillipi cycle for deadlifts as I haven't really put much effort into them at all this year, and currently looking at the Brad Gillingham 12 week raw benching template as well and liking what I see.

So the issue is finding something to keep my squat slowly increasing. I'm after something with a fair bit of volume and frequency (though not smolov levels, done with that for a while :lol: ) and I figured most Sheiko templates offer exactly what I'm after, a good amount of volume in the 70-85% range with the odd set at 85-90% or so. I'd prefer 3 days a week of squats, but if there's a particularly good template with 2 days a week I may just add in a light front squat session to keep the frequency up.

So, anyone got something suitable for me to look at? Or even think this is a good idea at all, I'm open to any and all criticism :)

Your Squat programme is going to be raw too like the Bench and Dead.

Yep all raw, just belt and knee sleeves. Would it be better to just run the same 4 week template 3 times through, slightly increasing the max each time? Or are there some appropriate 12 week cycles I could take from?

Really appreciate your input here OB :)

I just looked over the calc's for both and they don't look too bad.

The Bench would be down on the overall volume, as you are benching only 2 days per week, but the overall Bench % is higher.

With the Coan/Phillipi Deadlift cycle the volume is down on #29 and not as high as #37 but the % rise is linear and greater. Average% for #29 is 70.8%, #37 is 68.5% and C/F is 87.5%. The Assist work is something you would have to be mindful of and monitor on a week by week basis.

Conventional Deadlifting in a Sheiko based programme, is quiet taxing on the lower back, with 3-4 Squat sessions per week. That is why a lot of the top lifters, train Sumo but pull Conventional in a comp.

Here are some calc's for #29 and #37

Squat

342 Total Rises 4 weeks

Squat

65.9%

64.1%

71.6%

64.4%

66.3% Average % 4 Weeks

Squat

359 Total Rises 4 weeks

Squat

65.9%

68.6%

67.9%

69.9%

68.1% Average % 4 Weeks

Other than the rise difference, of 16 and the % of 2.2%, the main difference is the middle 2 weeks, where you have 178 rises in #29 as opposed to 202 rises in #37.

After all that #29 is more Deadlift Bench focused just on Volume and % and #37 is more Squat focused.

#37 would be the better for your squat, but you would have be mindful of the Coan/Phillipi assist work. Not to sure of level of work capacity, but coming off of Smolov it should be up there. I was going to suggest #29 first then #37, but I think you could do #37 back to back and maybe with a small % increase, on the second cycle.

Hope this helps

OB1

Wow, exactly the type of reply I was after. Thank you so much OB!

I like to think my work capacity is fairly high, and I never failed any reps or got injured during Smolov, whilst benching heavy once a week and speed once a week, with a day for some speed deadlifts and a little bit of heavier work.

I'm going to try and throw all this together in an excel spreadsheet and see if I like the look of it, after going over the 37 squats I might drop a bit of volume and on the days where it has 2 squat sessions, eg on Week 2 day 1 where it has 1x3@55% 1x3@65% 4x3@75% as a second session, I'll just add the 4x3@75% onto the end of the first session and see how it looks.

It's going to take a bit of tweaking but I think this could end up being perfect for me :)

Is there any chance of lift videos to see technique as all the numbers and % dont fix problems here

Link to last video in my sig, viewtopic.php?p=329793#p329793

In the write up I mentioned my tech on squats felt a bit off that day.

This is taking freaking ages to put into Excel :lol: Currently only half way through Mondays sessions.

Is there any chance of lift videos to see technique as all the numbers and % dont fix problems here

Link to last video in my sig, viewtopic.php?p=329793#p329793

In the write up I mentioned my tech on squats felt a bit off that day.

This is taking freaking ages to put into Excel :lol: Currently only half way through Mondays sessions.

After viewing your vid my opinion, for whats its worth, is that your depth for squats looks good but from an observers perspective, as the weights get heavier your balance seems to go and the weight pushes you more and more forward - I think that just as many gains would be available to you thru perfecting techniques as thru worrying too much about specific % training weights. Are there any successful athletes/coaches in your province who could guide you thru some of your training sessions or who could provide video critique for you?

Wow, exactly the type of reply I was after. Thank you so much OB!

Cheers Phedder,

I like to think my work capacity is fairly high, and I never failed any reps or got injured during Smolov, whilst benching heavy once a week and speed once a week, with a day for some speed deadlifts and a little bit of heavier work.

Well then you should be ok Volume and % wise, as I said you can make adjustments weekly based oh how you recover.

I'm going to try and throw all this together in an excel spreadsheet and see if I like the look of it, after going over the 37 squats I might drop a bit of volume and on the days where it has 2 squat sessions, eg on Week 2 day 1 where it has 1x3@55% 1x3@65% 4x3@75% as a second session, I'll just add the 4x3@75% onto the end of the first session and see how it looks.

It's going to take a bit of tweaking but I think this could end up being perfect for me :)

Yeah that's what I meaning. the Double Squats may throw things out a bit, as this is the accumulated fatigue system at work.

Ha ha, it takes me weeks sometimes to do a 12 weeker.

After viewing your vid my opinion, for whats its worth, is that your depth for squats looks good but from an observers perspective, as the weights get heavier your balance seems to go and the weight pushes you more and more forward - I think that just as many gains would be available to you thru perfecting techniques as thru worrying too much about specific % training weights. Are there any successful athletes/coaches in your province who could guide you thru some of your training sessions or who could provide video critique for you?

This is half technique/Half focus :lol: That video was taken after the smolov base, so the heaviest weight I'd worked with was 10x3x155kg. I just wasn't used to working with the heavier weights, hence the pulling forward sometimes. I also wasn't very focused that day and just excited to hit the weights, despite that I think the 190 was actually the best lift of the day tech wise, especially for a relatively easy 10kg PB. Since going through the intense cycle now, I'd like to say my tech with heavier weights has improved dramatically, Hips still shoot up on occasion when I'm not focusing, but it's usually not an issue. I went through the entire intense cycle unspotted, and never doubted myself for any reps.

I train at Sky Fitness, so when Marie and Rennie Soffe are in I'll often get them to check me over, usually nothing noteworthy, but as always little things pop up. One of my reasons for wanting to include Sheiko squats was the high volume at moderate weights to help practice technique a bit more. Often through the Smolov sessions I was just focused on getting in and getting the weights up, I've just put the spreadsheet together and honestly the squats don't look at all daunting, which should allow me to focus a bit more on technique.

Well then you should be ok Volume and % wise, as I said you can make adjustments weekly based on how you recover.

Yeah I'm expecting to make some adjustments, I really want to focus on my deadlift and bench, but didn't want to neglect squats. So if I'm not coping, squat volume will be the first to go. I wanted to get something % based so I didn't really have to think about training too much either, being my last semester of study I'm wanting to leave on a high note :lol:

Ha ha, it takes me weeks sometimes to do a 12 weeker.

Easier when I'm mostly just copying other programs I suppose, made a few tweaks but nothing major, like adding 2 weeks to the start of C/P to make it 12 weeks total.

Here it is if anyone wants to have a geeze/give it a go themselves, I didn't bother making it pretty or rounding to the nearest 2.5 :shifty: should serve my goals well though :nod: