NZ's bodybuilding, strength and fitness community
Sign in to follow this  
Kelsie6

University student needing help

Hi,

I am studying nutrition at Otago Uni. I need to find out some general information about supplement use so was hoping you guys could help me out. There are just a few quick questions:

1. What type of supplements and/or sports foods have you used or

are you currently using?

2. Why do you take supplements and/or sports foods?

3. What information do you consider before taking a supplement

and/or sports food?

4. Where do you purchase supplements and/or sports foods from?

5. Do you follow the manufacturer’s instructions on the label?

6. Where do you obtain information about the benefits or risks of

supplements and/or and sports foods?

If one or two of you would be able to answer these that would be great. Thank you!

Hi,

I am studying nutrition at Otago Uni. I need to find out some general information about supplement use so was hoping you guys could help me out. There are just a few quick questions:

are you currently using?

Currently using protein powder and pre-workout. In the past have also used creatine, test booster, and fat burner.

To hit my daily nutritional targets and for energy in the gym

and/or sports food?

Depending what it is I will check ingredients (e.g. pre-workouts for calories, or BCAA content in protein powder), or will read various reviews online

Whichever online store is the cheapest.. tends to be bodybuilding.co.nz

Yes except for protein powder

Internet forums :)

If one or two of you would be able to answer these that would be great. Thank you!

Answers in quote above

Hi,

are you currently using?

Pre-workout (L-Arginine, Beta Alanine, Caffeine, Taurine, BCAA mix usually)

Post-workout (Creatine, Glutamine)

WPI (morning and post-workout)

Daily multi-vits and oils

Pre-workout gives me better blood flow, endurance during my workout, and motivates me after long lethargic work sitting at desk all day.

Post-workout for better recovery before next workout and help build as much muscle size as possible for the effort I put in.

and/or sports food?

The ingredients, either know the effects from previous use...or research and talk to people who take the supplement.

Online overseas or in local store

Depends on supplement

I don't, I find out for myself. I rarely take same stuff all the time cycling products and supplements regularly.

I assume one month of taking something is infintissimal risk.

Hi,

are you currently using?

Have tried most major kinds of supplements for which there is factual or strong anecdotal evidence for. Most have a poor cost-benefit ratio so I don't buy them again. What I do use, and am using now, is vitamins (multi, plus extra E & C), antioxidants (NAC, green tea extract), stimulants (caffeine, ephedrine) and creatine monohydrate.

In terms of "sports foods" I use whey protein and fish oil (sometimes flax seed oil too) and have a tub of Powerade powder sitting around but don't use it much.

Take the supps to ensure dietary intake of vitamins & minerals is good, for general health and exercise recovery and to support various activities I may be partaking in. I eat whey because it is , high quality, cheap and convenient

and/or sports food?

As much as possible. Ingredients & dosage info primarily then factual, anecdotal and opinion-based evidence on safety and efficacy. Cost is a major factor for me. I only buy the cheapest correctly dosed brands of stuff that is proven to work and that I actually need.

Mostly online stores both US and NZ based. Buy whey in bulk from NZ stores, low-weight items from US online stores. Will occasionally buy from local physical stores if price is right.

If they match my requirements and research :wink:

Mostly internet forums but I work for a medical publishing company so have the global medical literature at my fingertips too. Depends on the subject and application.

Se bold answers above

Hi,

are you currently using?

Have tried most major kinds of supplements for which there is factual or strong anecdotal evidence for. Most have a poor cost-benefit ratio so I don't buy them again. What I do use, and am using now, is vitamins (multi, plus extra E & C), antioxidants (NAC, green tea extract), stimulants (caffeine, ephedrine) and creatine monohydrate.

In terms of "sports foods" I use whey protein and fish oil (sometimes flax seed oil too) and have a tub of Powerade powder sitting around but don't use it much.

Take the supps to ensure dietary intake of vitamins & minerals is good, for general health and exercise recovery and to support various activities I may be partaking in. I eat whey because it is high quality, cheap and convenient

and/or sports food?

As much as possible. Ingredients & dosage info primarily then factual, anecdotal and opinion-based evidence on safety and efficacy. I refused to pay for over-priced supps so only buy the cheapest correctly dosed brands of stuff that is proven to work and that I actually need.

Mostly online stores both US and NZ based. Buy whey in bulk from NZ stores, low-weight items from US online stores. Will occasionally buy from local physical stores if price is right.

If they match my requirements and research :wink:

Mostly internet forums but I work for a medical publishing company so have the global medical literature at my fingertips too. Depends on the subject and application.

Se bold answers above

Hi,

are you currently using?

Whey Protein Powder and (previously) Creatine

To meet my macro nutrient needs and to get the nutrients into the system faster

and/or sports food?

Reviews, Studies, Discussions on forums, and other peoples results

Online stores

Yes

Various sources on the internet. I google both pro's and con's when researching different things.

My surprise knew no bounds when my niece told me that she and her parents found a tutor at https://edureviewer.com/tutoring/varsitytutors-com-review/. And here not only tutors, but also other services for study and work. In general, the niece is glad that we could find such a person who knows how to explain intelligibly. This is important because the previous tutor was unable to teach anything.