Glutamine

PeterDolan

I've always believed it is the one amino acid that should be most abundant as from it your body can use it for fuel and for creating about 3 other amino acids from it if they are required...something like that without googling the answer.

Also, for recovery of the DOMS as a natty I found it to be as good as consuming protein. I eat more meat and stuff now so dont supplement it, but I would if I couldnt get my 1kg of meat/day

** all anecdotal

I've read it described as a conditionally essential amino acid. Heavy training makes it a must-have.

The way I see it the daily cost is trivial and it mixes well with shakes and with water so get it in.

I thought the literature was pretty settled on this one? How has it performed for you?

I'm not disputing the benefits of glutamine, I wanna know why supplementing it is neccesary?

More is always better bro. That's the general mindset. Your question is a really good one. Most of us that take supplements do so with a hunch. And the more we take we hope that we have even more chance of getting that formula right. I suspect (broscience here we go again) that any tangible benefit from taking additional glutamine would be so small that it would be impossible to measure.

So what's the answer? Spend our money on good food.

Dolan pls... You gotta realize it's drugs that benefit you not these worthless supplements... I laugh when I hear of these ppl (not you, in general) on testosterone and cutting cycles discussing glutamine supplementation pre morning cardio.

what next, Protein shake before you masturbate so the rise in heartrate doesn't turn you catabolic.

Supplementing glutamine is worthless.

Havent seen any good studies supporting free form glutamine use except in aids/cancer patients with severe wasting or burn victims. They receive it intravenously too. If someone has proper evidence supporting its use in athletes, Id love to see it

Not worth the money at all IMO. If you look, you'll see glutamine is the most abundant amino acid in almost every proteinaceous food. Spend the money on isolate and meat instead IMO

Makes you fart real nasty like too, but I see that as a positive :twisted:

I'd always been led to believe oral supplementation of L-Glutamine had no benefit. Lyle Mc Donnald did a series of articles that suggested it was bollocks, but there are a few studies to be found that suggest otherwise...

Tomas C Welbourne

ABSTRACT An oral glutamine load was administered to

nine healthy subjects to determine the effect on plasma glutamine,

bicarbonate, and circulating growth hormone concentrations.

Two grams glutamine were dissolved in a cola drink

and ingested over a 20-mm period 45 mm after a light breakfast.

Forearm venous blood samples were obtained at zero time

and at 30-mm intervals for 90 mm and compared with time

controls obtained I wk earlier. Eight of nine subjects responded

to the oral glutamine load with an increase in plasma glutamine

at 30 and 60 mm before returning to the control value at 90

mm. Ninety minutes after the glutamine administration load

both plasma bicarbonate concentration and circulating plasma

growth hormone concentration were elevated. These findings

demonstrate that a surprisingly small oral glutamine load is

capable of elevating alkaline reserves as well as plasma growth

hormone. A,n J Clin Nutr 1995;61:1058-61.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7733028

Pretty low on the list of things to get IMO

BCAAs and protein powders

Creatine

taurine and electrolytes

beta alanine, cit malate and stimulants

green tea and fat burners

vitamins

fibre

peppermints

lube

$2 aviators

glutamine

If your getting that 2g protein per kg of mass in a day then I don't think its noticeable/useful to be using. If you were cutting maybe I don't know but I'd still favour BCAAs over glutamine anyday.

My 1 cent

Havent seen any good studies supporting free form glutamine use except in aids/cancer patients with severe wasting or burn victims. They receive it intravenously too. If someone has proper evidence supporting its use in athletes, Id love to see it

Not worth the money at all IMO. If you look, you'll see glutamine is the most abundant amino acid in almost every proteinaceous food. Spend the money on isolate and meat instead IMO

My thoughts exactly.

For your average healthy weight lifter with a high protein diet, it's totally unnecessary. If you were recovering from an illness or injury, and especially surgery it might be a good idea to include it just to be safe. For most it's just a waste of money.

The only credible benefits I've noticed were when I started to run again after four months off - recovery times were quicker than the first time around, but there was certainly no improvement in performance or endurance. If I were pushed, I'd say it's possible it helped smooth over any dietary issues I was having as a result of moving from no aerobic exercise to running four times a week. I'm not a big protein eater so the effects were probably even further exaggerated, so chances are there's very little benefits and all you'll end up doing is finding it harder to take a dump when you need to.

I know HumanPerformance prescribes industrial quantities of glutamine to his clients when they're on a strict cutting diet. I don't know what evidence he has to support this, but I presume he has some. That's always been a good enough reason for me to take it when on restricted calories - as insurance if nothing else!

I know HumanPerformance prescribes industrial quantities of glutamine to his clients when they're on a strict cutting diet. I don't know what evidence he has to support this, but I presume he has some. That's always been a good enough reason for me to take it when on restricted calories - as insurance if nothing else!

The stress of a highly restricted diet could be likened to that of injury or illness I suppose. Like you said, possibly worth taking as insurance if nothing else when on a strict diet. When bulking or maintaining however, I really doubt there'd be any noticeable benefit. Nothing that spending the extra money on more steak wouldn't do anyway =P~

The stress of a highly restricted diet could be likened to that of injury or illness I suppose. Like you said, possibly worth taking as insurance if nothing else when on a strict diet. When bulking or maintaining however, I really doubt there'd be any noticeable benefit. Nothing that spending the extra money on more steak wouldn't do anyway =P~

He's not the only knowledgable guy who puts dieting BBers on heaps of Glutamine trust me... :nod: