neck/traps

mr yoyo

i seem to be having issues with my neck, i guess maybe my head is to heavy and I have a short wide neck so i often wake up with a stiff/sore neck, this has happened for a while now,and I am getting sick of doctophysio bills.

anyone got suggetions on how i could strengthen my neck and i assume suppporting areas?

sorry, should have explained better

the pillow is definatly part of it, so i change every 2 months, but I have had issues in past with my neck due to a car crash and then a tear while working out. I only have limited flexibility/strength because of that. This makes me more prone to sore/stiff neck muscles. I want to try and strengthen my neck as I figure that should help.

I have seen a few excersizes involving rope pull downs,or a weird skull cap thing, but I train at home, so none of that stuff can be done that easily.

just suits my lifestyle, i like the fact I can come home,unwind and no one is allowed to talk to me/cell off etc for an hour + each day. The only day that I think i really suffer is legs.

I spent 3 years at LM in wgton,had Joe Ulberg as a trainer, and did a 2 year stint at CP botany up here and a short 3 month stint at Eastern health.

Just a choice I made I guess, im not a person that needs someone else to train with, nor do i greatly enjoy the "annoyances" you sometimes get with gyms (poseurs, equipment hogs, those who think deodorant/towek isnt required, or the wonders of LM where everyone cares more what everyone else is doing etc)

Hey bro if you have a short wide neck it must make for a good strong plateform for your big {heavy} head,it should'nt really be necassery to strengthern it just to hold your head up,unless you are a headbanger?

How about getting some Arnica cream and/or tigerbalm

Rub it on your neck before you go to bed,but be sure if you use the tiger balm not to touch Mr Sausage!

I'm suprised no one has mentioned doing shrugs and wrestlers bridges to build up the neck. Sets of 10 should do, barbell shrugs superset with dumbell shrugs. Sets of 3-6 on barbell shrugs I have also found helpful. I did these as training when I was a loosehead prop. Now I got a 20 inch neck and 18 inch arms haha.

its hard to explain but pretty much u lye on your back and arch your back up with yr feet flat on the ground then bring your head as far round as u can and put in on the ground and hold it with your earms slightly bent and extended in front of your body.

when u do it evrything should look upside down.

i used to do wrestling at school, and this is on of the exercises we did when we warmed up. although im not sure if this is the particular one big mac is talking about, this work for strengthening your neck/warming up.

been using a fair bit of Arnica creme, seems to be helping, and dont worry...learnt that tigerbalm lesson back in the rugby playing days with groin injurys : (

for the "old guys" on here who remember WWF, a wrestlers bridge would be similar to the "perfect plex" ?where basiclly only the back of your head and feet touch the ground?

been using a fair bit of Arnica creme, seems to be helping, and dont worry...learnt that tigerbalm lesson back in the rugby playing days with groin injurys : (

for the "old guys" on here who remember WWF, a wrestlers bridge would be similar to the "perfect plex" ?where basiclly only the back of your head and feet touch the ground?

Who you calling an old guy, buster? :evil:

:pfft:

I assume this is what you mean:

wrestlers-bridge.jpg

yeah thats the one, theres also another one i picked up in MMA training, enter into a push up position, except walk yourself in with your hands.. so that your body is like an inverted "V" shape off the ground. Now support yourself on your head and remove your hands... twist your neck from side to side...

im aware of shrugs and personally dont find them any good. but wrestlers bridges? plz tell me moer about these.

Then you need to do them more until they work. I found doing 140x10 and 180x6 or so for multiple sets combined with dumbell shrugs and lat pulldowns to work very well.

You guys got the bridge right. One I actually preferred was a neck bridge when you sort of get into a press up position and then get onto the upper forehead and just use hands for balance.

Won't throw muscle on, but will make your neck alot stronger. Of course if you mess it up you'll be stuffed to put it plainly. But, then what exercise that is completely safe is worth much at all?

And all of this is suppossed to make the neck feel better.......

....ok

:shock:

How about head spins,you know like they do in break dancing,that will make for a strong neck.

Yes do this three times a day for ten minute periods,three days a week.

Your neck should be strong in....... ten weeks

but you will need to add:

600mg test e

600 mg EQ

400mg deca durabolin

50mg anadrol{weeks 1-4 only}

If that doe'snt work I know a good doctor in Hyderabad province in india that can preform a neck transplant procedure for a very competative fee.

PM me bro,no worrys we'll sort this out together.

And all of this is suppossed to make the neck feel better.......

....ok

:shock:

How about head spins,you know like they do in break dancing,that will make for a strong neck.

Yes do this three times a day for ten minute periods,three days a week.

Your neck should be strong in....... ten weeks

but you will need to add:

600mg test e

600 mg EQ

400mg deca durabolin

50mg anadrol{weeks 1-4 only}

If that doe'snt work I know a good doctor in Hyderabad province in india that can preform a neck transplant procedure for a very competative fee.

PM me bro,no worrys we'll sort this out together.

now thats funny :pfft:

The bridge is pretty much doing what the guy in the gifs are doing. Doing the front bridge on the knees will help too. You know that muscle behind your neck? Thats your traps. Shrugs = good.

I dunno man, if you're not willing to try this stuff, then really there is nothing you can do. Buy another pillow, but you're still left with a weak neck.