help or advice on weight loss

danellaj

Hey ladies (and guys)

I need a little bit of advice I want to loose fat, heres what I'm doing:

Breakfast: 2 whole eggs and two egg whites, dandilion tea

Morning Snack:home made protein bar which is really low carb & low sugar

Lunch: a big salad with cucumber, red pepper, lettuce, a sprinkle of pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds, once a week 1/4 avocardo with 240g of tuna

Afternoon Snack: a sachet of weight wise uncle tobys oats with water, protein powder and 1/8 cup of dried unsweetened coconut

Dinner: either shop brought vege soup or 200g of cottage cheese

Weekends I might have sushi for lunch or pizza for dinner one night. and Im drinking a glass of wine about 3 nights a week.

Workouts are

Monday: Step class

Tuedsday: off

Wedensday: CXworks or resistance bands and cardio, or weights and cardio

Thursday: Attack class

Friday: off

Saturday: Weights and pilates or resistance bands, cardio and pilates

Sunday: Step

Im 5'10" and 65kg, I would prefer to be around 57kg which used to be my easy no-work set weight - but now for what ever reason is evading me - in fact my weight is going up.

thoughts anyone?

Hi there...

Coupla questions for you:

a. when you say you want to drop from 65 to 57 kg, I take it you've found that there is excess fat (the old favourite jeans don't fit, that kinda thing), i.e. it's not that you've added a little bit of muscle with that programme ?

b. Where's the protein?

With those stats, if you were around 25yo, and working out the way you do, maintenance calories "should be" (using this calculator ) around 2300/day. To loose 500g/ week (safe, sustainable, keep-it-off rate of loss), you would set a 500 cal/day deficit, meaning your diet needs to be around the 1800 calorie mark.

To conserve lean muscle while running that deficit, your calories could usefully be derived 40% from carbs, 30% from protein, 30% from essential fats and oils. Since there are 9 cals per gram of Fat, 4 cals per gram of protein or carbs, that would suggest a diet comprising:

280g net carbs (1800 * 40% = 720 cals/4 equals 180g),

135g net protein (1800 * 30% = 540 cals/4 equals 135g);

60g net fats (1800 * 30% = 540 cals/9 equals 60g).

Have a look at that diet, esp the manufactured stuff, and see if your carbs are too high/ protein too low, maybe ?

Saw this post by FOTR elsewhere on the site, thought it might be helpful.

Plus, it points to the resources tab which has some great things on it :nod:

when you dieting to lose fat, you must eat less than your body needs for normal maintenance BUT it's not going to be helpful for you at all if you start following the diet of a 7yr old girl.

check out this section : content.php?id=162 specifically read the part about working out your caloric requirements (calculator is provided there too). that calculator will show you your maintenance level as well as a fairly safe caloric intake level for fat loss. Only once you have the required intake level you can start making up your own meal plan with the healthier food choices, keeping your macro split in mind. To find out calories/macro-nutrients of your foods you can check out the labels on the back of them or look them up on online sites like myfitnesspal.

Thanks for the replies - I wish it was just my favorite jeans are now tight - more like im now a couple of sizes bigger for no obvious reason.

my breakdown is around 1440 - 1550 cals 56g or fat - all really good sources 75g carb about 30 sugar 158 g protein

I have put on a little muscle but im not really relying on the scale - im measuring too and noticing very very slow changes

Dr says it seems like my body has decided on a new set weight - but darn it there must be a way to change that :)

my breakdown is around 1440 - 1550 cals

56g of fat - all really good sources

75g carb about 30 sugar

158 g protein

Hmmm - I can't help but wonder whether running a prolonged calorie/carb deficit is causing the body to use lean muscle for fuel when you work out, then when surplus calories arrive, storing them as bodyfat. Others may have a view about the number of calories from sugars, especially if they're from fructose.

One of the arguments in favour of running only a small deficit, not a much larger one, is that you're training your metabolism to use food as fuel. A bit of emphasis on meal times and sizes, giving it what it needs to build lean mass, when it needs it, and not having a large chunk of carbs before a period of inactivity (like sleeping).

tell us what a typical day looks like- when's meal times, when do you work-out, what times you get up/ etc...

Wake up 6 am

6.30 breakfast - egg white and 2 whole eggs

between 9.30 -10 am snack - home made protein bar or some almonds

between 1.30 -2pm lunch - salad with tuna

between 4.30 - 5 afternoon snack oats and protein

between 5.30 - 6.30 workout (depending on when I finish work)

7.30-8pm home eat as soon as I get home soup

bed by 9.30

Hmmm - some suggestions:

Because your protein intake's already good AND because the gap between dinner/post workout meal, and going to bed, is quite short, I wouldn't be too concerned about the comparatively long 'fast' from 2130-0630, and otherwise the times between meals is pretty good.

Especially on weights days, use fast-digesting carbs before workouts, not slow carbs like oats. Have the carbs with the protein before workout.

If the gap between leaving the gym and getting home is short, make sure there's a decent serve of protein in the post-workout meal.

If you really don't want to up the calories every day, then you might consider carb-cycling - only increasing the carbs on weights days.

Why? You're training weights to increase lean muscle mass, which burns more calories, is denser than bodyfat, and looks better than bodyfat. Therefore, on weights days, you want the body to be fuelled so that you do the most "work" you can - on a cardio day, where the emphasis is not on increasing lean muscle, keep to your current carb quantities.

Again, just my 2c worth :)

• 8 months later...