Got a bad shoulder? Try this...

gonzo6183

Hey guys,

Thought id share an amazing shoulder routine that from what I have seen will make drastic improvements to almost any shoulder injury.

Shoulders are one of the most common injuries we experience all the way from just that little niggle that doesnt feel right through to multiple reconstructions. The info ill share with you here was shown to me by Dante mid 2009 when I was in search of new training and rehab methods, I dont recall where he got it from but I was so impressed with the results in just two weeks that ever since then I recommend it to everyone with even the slightest shoulder injury.

If you guys like what you see and decide to give it a shot I would love to get feedback posted on here on how effective it was for you (positive or negative I dont mind) in a 2 week period any any further updates as you progress would be great too. Please also include the type and age of your injury and any relevant information about yourself ie: competitive bencher, age, years training ect...

Here we go:

First off grab yourself a broomstick (without the brissles) and hold it out in front of you with perfectly straight arms while you read this. Now adjust your grip to be really wide. you will probably need to go as wide as you possibly can DONT FORGET THOSE ARMS MUST STAY STRAIGHT.

OK keep that grip wide and arms locked straight while you bring the stick up infront of your face and over the top of your head. Dont grip the stick too firmly you want it to roll freely through your hands. Bring the stick down behind your back as low as possible, you are aiming to get to the midway point down your back. Yes its going to be very difficult and may be slightly painful (in a strong stretching way) but make sure those ARMS STAY STRAIGHT, youll get used to it soon enough.

One repetion is complete once you have gone from the starting position over your head, down to the center of your back then back over the top and being held out in front of you again but it ONLY COUNTS IF YOUR ARMS STAY STRAIGHT. Thats one rep

Now I want 50 reps, yep thats right do that 50 times, youll be cursing my name for the next two weeks then thanking me for it ;) The important part of the movement is the area overhead that is really tight, do all of this carefully/slowly, dont just whip it over and back. If your hand is slipping off the broomstick even with the widest grip, or you cant bring your arms over straight and they start bending on you, you have some serious shoulder inflexibility and need to work this hard and get up to speed (or you may just need a longer broomstick too). Again do all of these revolutions controlled and carefully, push into the stretch as you go along toward the 50 revolutions, your chest will be pushing outward and your shoulders rolling back, your shoulders are going to blow up with so much blood its going to be incredibly painfull pumpwise.

Do this once a day at night as many times a week as you can, sometimes I have people do it every single day but generally get guys to avoid it the day before and the day after their shoulder workout. On your shoulder day do it straight after your session. Every time you do it try to move your grip inward (thats the key), its going to be very hard to do but try your best to move your grip inward for the next 2-4 weeks and your range of motion with shoulders will increase dramatically and any impingement and the majority of other problems should be gone in 2 weeks. Also try to move your grip in as you are doing the 50 revolutions.

Start off with a stretching but relatively easy 10 to warm up, then try to move your grip in even by a centimeter if you can for the next 20 revolutions and then at 30 try to move the grip in another centimeter. Really try to push what you can do stretchwise once your warmed up here, trust me this sounds easy but your going to be muttering f*#k You after you get to your 25th rep :)

I have helped a lot of guys with shoulder problems with this simple movement now, this and a menthol rub applied liberally daily and before sleep has cured alot of shoulder/bicepital tendonitis issues.

Hope that helps at least a few people out. Let me know what you think.

Gonzo and Dante

NOTE: This is not my own personal invention, this was taught to me by Dante and I have simply taken his information and re written it to use with assisting people I know and offer advice too.

Thanks Gonzo (and M.T. for the video), I constantly get niggles in my shoulder so I'm going to give this a try. Don't have a niggle right now though so hopefully this will be good for injury prevention.

I will only do it twice a week post workout though (I workout full body twice a week). Is that enough?

Also currently once a week I am doing 3 rotator cuff exercises post workout, would that interfere with doing this or would it be good to do together?

Thanks Gonzo (and M.T. for the video), I constantly get niggles in my shoulder so I'm going to give this a try. Don't have a niggle right now though so hopefully this will be good for injury prevention.

I will only do it twice a week post workout though (I workout full body twice a week). Is that enough?

Also currently once a week I am doing 3 rotator cuff exercises post workout, would that interfere with doing this or would it be good to do together?

I would add this in for a 3rd day after your rotator cuff exercises, three times a week should be enough considering you are doing it more for prevention over healing. Let us know how you get a long

I agree best shoulder rehab excerscise ever, i do this after every chest session ,no rotator cuff issues here.Dante is the man.

YOU TOLD ME TO PUT MY ARMS CLOSER AFTER THE FIRST REP!

Not after the first rep lol . U LIE!!!

should of made it clearer bro, you know I am a retard lol

Yep I do them religiously too, I like doing them with a band instead though. It gives that little bit of stretch right at the top where things are tightest and lets your shoulders follow a more natural arc while still lubing everything up and giving it a good stretch :nod:

I have not had another shoulder issue since changing elbow position through the full ROM. Less angle towards plate, and more aiming towards feet. Tricky initially, but is sweet as now, and have now got higher set weight.

This may be common knowledge, but I had never done it :/

I have not had another shoulder issue since changing elbow position through the full ROM. Less angle towards plate, and more aiming towards feet. Tricky initially, but is sweet as now, and have now got higher set weight.

Are you talking bench press bro?

An oldie but a goodie if you can do them at all. For those of us with chronic shoulder injuries & tendon tears the rotational movement associated with this exercise can make it too painful or impossible & could cause further damage to partial tears IMO.

Maybe stretches with the bat or broomstick like might be easier

-

Lying on the floor or bed knees bent upwards. Grab the broom at shoulder width overhand grip & stretch backwards & hold 20 secs. Repeat 3 times.

Grab the broomstick out in front of you while standing parallel to the floor. Slide the injured arm/shoulder to the end of the stick & apply pressure with the other arm in a slow backward motion. Hold & repeat.

There's another one you hold the broomstick behind the injured arm at a 90 Deg angle & pull it forward with the good arm but I think this can be a bit tough on the rotators & might not be that good if injured.

Others can chime in with their versions I'm sure.............

Great exercise I did these a few years ago had a crook shoulder that wouldn't come right for months, Started doing these within two weeks shoulder had come right. Yeah I better get back to doing these again you get a great stretch from doing this. :grin:

Are you talking bench press bro?

Oh yeah. Never mentioned that. I forget that people don't live inside my head.

I had issues with benching, and thugh I did warmups on the shoulders, I found that as soon as I did it with elbows less flaired out, it made an instant difference. But it was tricky to control until I was used to it.

Taking the elbows away from aiming at the plates is worth the pain free experience

• 1 year later...

Thank you for writting this post!  I found this on a google search for bad shoulder exercises.  I injured my shoulder about 12 years ago doing dumbell overhead presses.  Since then, I cant throw a baseball, serve a tennis ball, throw a frisbee with my force and had much discomfort from this.  Recently due to my job as a fabricator, I had irritated it big time. I tried many stretches and excercises to aid this pain and imobility, nothing works like this!  Also helps with my posture. 

This excercise with straight arms and high reps done daily has helped the most!  Thank you so much for posting this.  I created a login only to thank you all for helping another injured shoulder.  I currently only do dips and straight bar curls for my upper body, I focus more on cardio now.

Thank you from Maine, USA

Mark Ouellette 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This has been a great help, had to stop training in 2008 because of my shoulder. tried again 2010, but wasn't happy. 

Started training again Feb this year with that niggling twinge coming back.... Found this thread and wow very happy with progress and comfort levels

Thanks all

• 2 years later...