Fish recipes

Ronin

I'm not a big fan of seafood (unless it's battered, deep fried and smothered in Mr Wattie's finest :grin: ), but I know it's a great source of lean protein for cutting.

So does anyone out there have any good suggestions for making it palatable, in a reasonably quick, easy, inexpensive way? And still be suitable for a cutting diet of course. My go-to has generally been to cover it in lemon-pepper, wrap in tinfoil and bake, but I'm hoping for something that'll make the fish taste more like...well, not fish lol.

Bear in mind, I'm not talking about salmon steaks etc, more like student-budget varieties, like red cod or something.

If you don't like the fishy taste so much, make fish pie. There are so many ways to flavour it, it freezes and reheats well and with the right ingredients can be made into a complete meal with one plateful providing protein, carbs, fat and veges all in one go. Perfect for the cheaper fish too, even tinned tuna/salmon

• 2 weeks later...

I buy the 'basa fillets' cheap as from Countdown. squeeze some lemon on them bake in oven 200 degrees for 15 mins in oven dish. mix some tomato pasta sauce with some chick peas then pour onto fish, bake for another 10 mins. Serve with couscous. Its My favorite and cheap to make (student also)

• 9 months later...

As an island country, we’re fortunate to have a numerous provide of amazing seafood at our convenience like hake, haddock and whiting which is good and balanced to eat and easy to prepare. As well as being delightful, white-colored seafood is also a flexible component to prepare with, as one kind can quickly be changed for another in a formula.

I buy the 'basa fillets' cheap as from Countdown. squeeze some lemon on them bake in oven 200 degrees for 15 mins in oven dish. mix some tomato pasta sauce with some chick peas then pour onto fish, bake for another 10 mins. Serve with couscous. Its My favorite and cheap to make (student also)

Basa is fantastic, $9.99 a kg and seem to soak up favour really well. Also they aren't flaky like other cheap fish (hoki is probably the worst) so are fantastic for cooking in a variety of ways.

I like the homebrand cans of tuna countdown have as well, 425g can is like $3.5 which is so much cheaper and tastes exactly the same. Countdown brand salmon is also very cheap 420g can is like $3.65ish and imo tastes better then the more expensive ones. (Love making curry rice with salmon, broccoli and whatever other greens i have in the fridge+seasonings.

Anyone know where i can get some cheap prawns? or crayfish? (I'm a student in Palmerston north).