Which whey protein??

time4change

Just a quick question to find out what whey protein powder brand i buy if my goals are to drastically reduce fat and tone and only really have the protein shake for breakfast and pre or post workout.

My last tub wat the horleys 100% whey protein chocolate flavour (orange and black tub) but found the flavour waasnt the best.

Any suggestions for when to have my protein shakes are welcome too!

:)

Hmmm - protein powder choices can be very subjective, here's 2c worth of advice:

a. avoid anything that has the word 'mass' - they tend to have huge quantities of carbs in, which is the last thing you want, to help shed those kilos;

b. depends on price - but I've found Eat Me to be good value, not bad tasting or mixing, and they deliver all over NZL. Reactiv are also good - or you could try some of the supplement companies like the advertisers on here.

Looking at your diet, to answer the question about when - it looks like a long time between breakfast and lunch, so a shake's a good option mid-morning. You can make it with water if you can't get milk. Also, right after workouts would be another good time to get a serve of protein in.

Just an update that I have just purchased a 800gram tub of horleys ripped factors choclate fix flavour. As far as taste goes this is the best protein shake i have had and the consistency is really smooth but not too thick.

Just another question (sorry i am a newbie at supplements and all that lol).. From what i know you can gain weight from shakes if you dont do much exercise and drink lotsa protein shakes but my question is can i gain fat from doing this?? Just worried about the days i would have a shake in the morning and not get to gym the same day :-s

Whey Protein powder with no added carbs is just another source of protein. One serve of powder is (basically) the same nutritionally as a serving of chicken breast (minus the fat).... Protein powder is basically a replacement for a serving of protein.

Its better to eat real food if you can, but where it is more convenient to you - i.e snacks at the office or if you are busy at any point during your day and can't have a real meal then protein powder will do the trick!

The only difference is it will digest a fair bit quicker than a serve of chicken so make sure you are mixing it with a serving of good fats if you are having it as a snack.

The time when it is really good to have protein powder after working out with weights - here its good NOT to mix it with fats but with carbs instead.

Any Whey protein that has low carbs (7g or less) is good for women and shouldn't make you gain weight - but as I said -it is just a replacement serve of protein... if you went from eating not much to eating 3kg of chicken a day you may gain body fat - so it's about your own diet and exercise plans...

Also if you are eating lots of other bad calories in the day that could be making you gain weight or not lose weight. So I would suggest maybe posting your diet here to ask for improvements in general.

But mostly I believe protein powders help boost protein intake and have many positive benefits as in my experience most female clients need to boost their protein intake especially if they are exercising or not. Even if you don't exercise that day your body may still need the extra protein to help you recover from your workouts from days before.

In my opinion and generalizations based on what you've said and your goals they are more likely to help you lose weight... But there are other ways you can be helping to ensure this as well

Good luck!

Thanks for all the advice and info.

Nice to know I can have my protein powder without any worry of gaining weight in form of fat. Will post my diet up soon. Please look out for it and comment as I am noticing many posts aren't receiving much reply from members :(

Would be really nice if you could give your opinion on my eating and workout schedule

TA :wink:

• 1 month later...

I use optimum 100% gold standard whey in double rich chocolate. I love the taste and it's low calorie so good if you are trying to get lean. This protein is really popular and not too badly priced. Would be my suggestion =) they do samples you could ask for at supplement shops like nz supplements.

• 2 months later...
":28o209rj]the protein you bought is good but very much overpriced for what it is.

I thought Horleys CrossFire was great, but once I stopped getting them at cost, I chose no to continue. Way too expensive.

There are cheaper brands out there. Go online and browse. Compare protein per serve with serves per tub, against cost.

I jump around brands now, as I get the best bang for my buck at the time.

Time4change, you really should look at increasing the demands on your body in order to speed up the fat loss process. Start easy, and work it up.

• 4 months later...

I like the Gold Standard - both the chocolate flavours are pretty good (and I can't pick much of a difference between them in taste).

It's economical, and easy to make up cookie alternatives with, which I then freeze for part of my food prepping.

The french vanilla creme is pretty tasty too.