Meal Timing

tgzerozone

Ok, so I am currently doing (well, starting on monday) an Intermittend fasting diet. I eat from 14:00 to 22:00. Did the IF for the last few weeks before ending gym last time and it seemed to work well for gaining.

My 14:00 meal is 1000+ cals as well as my 22:00 meal. The other 2 fit into the 3500 cals I go through a day. Biggest being the 19:00 meal more or less 1000 cals.

I was wondering if I eat a big meal before gym (I normally hit the gym at 16:00, would it be that much important to have a massive meal right after gym.

Reason I am asking, I would like to shift my meals an hour earlier, eating from 13:00 to 21:00. It helps not feeling to bloated during gym. This however would mean that I am only eating at 19:00 again.

Basically it would be:

13:00 1000+ cals real food

15:45 to 17:00 (500 calories of dextrose and carbs) (gym time)

19:00 Big meal to the region of 800-1000 cals

21:00 Big meal over 1000 Cals.

Is this doable?

I don't the 8 meals a day as I find I get more in eating 4 meals.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
Nutrient timing and meal frequency is irrelevant for improving body composition.

Eat whenever you want, just hit your total macros targets and calorie requirements at the end of the day.

Josef do you make an exception to this for post workout nutrition?

Nope, post-workout is also irrelevant.

Just hit your macro targets and calorie requirements at the end of that day and you will be fine. Various muscle magazines have drummed in a lot of bro-science into the lifting community.

Nutrient timing and meal frequency is irrelevant for improving body composition.

Eat whenever you want, just hit your total macros targets and calorie requirements at the end of the day.

Josef do you make an exception to this for post workout nutrition?

Nope, post-workout is also irrelevant.

Just hit your macro targets and calorie requirements at the end of that day and you will be fine. Various muscle magazines have drummed in a lot of bro-science into the lifting community.

bitch you can't just go round saying the corny shit, discrediting the likes of insulin for one. also, many proteins an shit requiring significant energy usage for breakdown alone....

meh.ro563.jpg

Josef, what I would like to know is why you say this as an absolute when the guys you get this from (Layne in particular), still encourage the supplementation of leucine and ALA, among other things, which contribute to changes in body comp. So either you've done some research that warrants the modification of their research OR I haven't read what they have wrote fully?

Gotta get used to him mate he needs the money from his one-system suits everyone concept.

On a site with bodybuilders, powerlifters, crossfitters, bikini girls, boxers etc we all know it's a stretch of the truth that we will all have different body shapes despite all eating the same way...that's cool most of us just ignore him.

It's ok to say we do bro science, he hasn't proved anything except he knows what works for him. All good, beats selling pics of yourself for cash.

Oh shoot he doesn't does he? :shock:

Josef, what I would like to know is why you say this as an absolute when the guys you get this from (Layne in particular), still encourage the supplementation of leucine and ALA, among other things, which contribute to changes in body comp. So either you've done some research that warrants the modification of their research OR I haven't read what they have wrote fully?

I saw a pic of Layne in a Tshirt and he does not even look like he lifts!

For the record, I do think the importance of meal timing is overstated but I just don't believe it to be irrelevant

Surely people don't believe that meal timing is irrelevant? I've never heard anyone talking about their success by eating one large 3000+ calorie meal immediately before bed, and having constant energy levels throughout the day

For the record, I do think the importance of meal timing is overstated but I just don't believe it to be irrelevant

Surely people don't believe that meal timing is irrelevant? I've never heard anyone talking about their success by eating one large 3000+ calorie meal immediately before bed, and having constant energy levels throughout the day

Not many believe it.

No meal timing or irrelevant meal timing is still a timing...right :pfft: it's just irrelevant timing is all.

Sumo wrestlers use meal timing to pack on bulk. And I've seen people half my size push the same weights as me, take gear like me, and eat same calories.

I'm sure JR practices what he preaches but he's trying to push what works for him and other teenagers with thin bodies into a single system.

Take out the exercise and look at people who eat light in the AM and have large dinners at night. They end up with big guts and fatter. There's even a guideline for obese people which puts them on regular small meals spread out the daytime to assist with getting them down-sized, so if the medical profession (peer-reviewed and accepted worldwide) use meal timings, well then JRs bro science (of which he has no research himself) is absurd

Take out the exercise and look at people who eat light in the AM and have large dinners at night. They end up with big guts and fatter. There's even a guideline for obese people which puts them on regular small meals spread out the daytime to assist with getting them down-sized, so if the medical profession (peer-reviewed and accepted worldwide) use meal timings, well then JRs bro science (of which he has no research himself) is absurd

Isn't this great an example of correlation being confused with cause? Same as saying people who eat a good breakfast are smaller/healthier/whatever.

The typical study discovers that the fatties eat a lot of calories in the evening - forgot to mention the 4 hours watching tv and snacking. Those same people don't even do so much as walk up a flight of stairs in a day. They aren't fat because of how many meals they eat nor how many calories they have for dinner, they are fat as a sum of the outcomes of their lifestyle choices, i.e. what they eat, how much of it they eat, lbm, and nil exercise.

Nutrient timing isn't irrelevant but it's an area that only helps push a person from 90% to nearer 100% optimality in their eat, lift, sleep program. Most people simply need to focus all their efforts on the basics to achieve real change and still have a pretty normal lifestyle. It's only when you're pushing your personal limits or preparing for a contest that approaching optimality is worth dealing with.

Isn't this great an example of correlation being confused with cause? Same as saying people who eat a good breakfast are smaller/healthier/whatever.

The typical study discovers that the fatties eat a lot of calories in the evening - forgot to mention the 4 hours watching tv and snacking. Those same people don't even do so much as walk up a flight of stairs in a day. They aren't fat because of how many meals they eat nor how many calories they have for dinner, they are fat as a sum of the outcomes of their lifestyle choices, i.e. what they eat, how much of it they eat, lbm, and nil exercise.

Nutrient timing isn't irrelevant but it's an area that only helps push a person from 90% to nearer 100% optimality in their eat, lift, sleep program. Most people simply need to focus all their efforts on the basics to achieve real change and still have a pretty normal lifestyle. It's only when you're pushing your personal limits or preparing for a contest that approaching optimality is worth dealing with.

Repped!

I saw a pic of Layne in a Tshirt and he does not even look like he lifts!

Is this layne Norton??

Corellate 100yrs of real life experiences of ALL the top bodybuilders against a few studies of maybe 100 "elite athletes" and I'll go with the success of the crowd every single time until I fail to see results

I mean seriously guys when u debunk meal timings based on calories in, you're being very 1 dimensional.

Why?

My workouts would b half as good if I ate less carbs beforehand and scoffed the remainder down afterwards. I'm not 70kg in total weight I'm carrying 100kg LBM, I get tired if I miss one meal!

Oh but you say that's irrelevant...

You can't speak for all body types when you're only one type. But 100yrs of successful bodybuilders of all shapes and sizes says meal timings are important.

I wouldn't do it if I thought otherwise.

I've ready about the warrior diet where it revolves around having 1 very massive meal and one small meal per day, but that's more for "cutting" personally I can never do it, also if you know any muslims during Ramadan they don't eat/drink anything while the sun is up, when it's down that's when they eat/get their daily calories , most people I know pile on the unwanted kgs of fat during that month due to them binging and stuff....

I dunno bros I dunno sounds very dangerous

"If you like this MVP post by Crazyfacials them thumbs it up, he is a mod and will rep you back"

I've ready about the warrior diet where it revolves around having 1 very massive meal and one small meal per day, but that's more for "cutting"

Serge Nubret did something similar to this except that small meal was optional, fairly certain he did it all year round. He was never the biggest guy on stage, usually advancing due to his freaky genetic shape and he never turned up freaky conditioned, take what you want from this.

The thing that gets at me with people dismissing meal timing and macro nutrient components is that every person calling us broscience (despite the studies backing us up) never backs up their argument with a shred of evidence other than the off hand "studies show" bullshit. Whenever I have asked Josef and others about linking these studies (I'm genuinely interested in seeing how valid these studies and there for, theories are) I get ignored or told to scroll through bb.com, which I tried but only read 15yo kids writing nonsensical bullshit.

So I ask again, where are these studies published?

One thing Id like to add to this is if you were to eat 1 large meal containing all the calories you wanted for the day... what do you do when you get hungry

again?.

Id rather eat when Im hungry and when trying to change body composition limit my total calories, while spreading my meals so not to get hungry.

The good thing with bro-science in this case is it just works better, even if its for different reasons.

Most would struggle to eat fewer meals through the day, more meals spread throughout is just easier to curb hunger and maintain energy on.

Id like to see Josef try living on 1 meal for any length of time :wink: