Bulk whey protein isolate (20kg)

Pseudonym

After hearing several people on this site talking about bulk protein, I decided to try some myself. I ordered a 20kg sack of Alacen 895 Instant whey protein isolate - ion exchange from Davis Trading. I was a bit nervious about ordering such a large amount, but that's all they sell. What if I didn't like it? I'd be stuck with a lifetime supply! I was nearly right on that count - I started eating this protein at the beginning of June, probably averaging 3 serves a day. I'm still going today... Nearly there now, though!

The 20kg cost me $468.56 all up, including freight and GST. That's just over $20 a kilo - can't complain about that!

As I recall, Davis Trading were fairly prompt with delivery. The protein came in a big plastic protective wrapping outside a paper sack, which contained a sealed plastic bag of protein. I discarded the two outer layers, tied the top of the inner bag with string, and kept it in a 45L plastic bin (pictured below). This fitted the entire sack perfectly.

So how did it taste? Well, it didn't really. It's unflavoured, so other than a slight milky hint, it's largely tasteless. The real question is: how well did it mix - and again the answer is pretty much: it didn't. Now, to be fair, my mixing test consists of stirring vigorously with a spoon. You might achieve better results from a shaker or blender, but I think my way is easier, and it certainly sorts good powders from bad. Unfortunately, when I tried using a spoon on this powder, it formed enormous sticky clumps on the back of the spoon, and little (if any) seemed to dissolve. You know how cornflour behaves? Well, it was like that, only gluggier and gluier.

Does this mean that this whey is not in fact instantised, as I had assumed the "Instant" mentioned on the invoice indicated? Perhaps someone can explain this...

Anyway, here's how I solved the mixing problem... I "borrowed" my mother's old flour sifter, and sifted together

- enough protein powder to fill a spare tub I had (about 1.8kg)

- one packet of Cadbury drinking chocolate

I'm not sure whether it was the sifting or the cocoa or both, but this vastly improved the mixability. Still not as good as other commercial powders, but miles better nonetheless. It also made it taste nicer, which is always a bonus. :)

On a purely dollars-per-kilo price comparison, this protein wins hands down. But the fact that you have to go to a fair amount of trouble to get a usable product, and that there are no other "goodies" like flavouring, BCAAs, etc, leads me to sum up: If you can afford to buy a better protein, do.

post-2-14166817310061_thumb.jpg

post-2-14166817310174_thumb.jpg

post-2-1416681731032_thumb.jpg

Good review...

BTW heres the nutritional information in the attachments.

It also shows that there are some amounts of bcaa's, but thats per 100gms. So I dont know how much that is per serving.

Typical amino acid profile - Alacen 895.pdf

Fonterra Product Bulletin - WPI 895 Instant - 896.pdf

Typical amino acid profile - WPC Alacen 450.pdf

Fonterra Product Bulletin - WPC Alacen 450.pdf

It also shows that there are some amounts of bcaa's, but thats per 100gms. So I dont know how much that is per serving.

That scoop looks to be around 30g (29.4 to be specific :wink:) and with the amino acid details in that pdf, the amount of BCAA's (Isoleucine, Leucine & Valine) in each scoop would be close to 8g - that's more than most commercial powders on the market (twice as much as the stuff I use).

That's pretty good stuff!

having massive amounts like that, isn't there a danger the powder could 'go off"?

Does protein go off if you don't use it fast enough?

As long as it's in an airtight container & the moths don't get to it, should be no problem.

It's possible it may go off after a couple of years but it should have been consumed by then :wink:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I've been using the Isolate for some time now. Due to a shortage in funds :) I just ordered a 20kg Whey Concentrate this time.

Just received it this morning & it is heaps easier to mix than the isolate.

I have just straight WPC 20kg also and it mixes fine. I have mine in a rubbish bin tied off and it seems fine.

• 10 months later...

Whey Protein Isolate is more refined than Whey Protein Concentrate. As such, it's more expensive, but contains more protein. WPI is easier (faster) to digest, and is better for lactose-intolerant people. That makes it ideal for post-workout, but WPC is good too, and cheaper.

You may find WPC has other advantages, being less processed, but that's out of my depth.

Thanks Pseudo. I downloaded the nutritional specs above, but it doesn't give me the all important carb:protein:fat ratios. Any info on those stats?

What ratios do you mean? The first PDF states:

PRODUCT CHARACTERISTICS

Protein (g/100g) 90.6

Fat (g/100g) 0.6

Total Carbohydrate (g/100g) 0.2

Thanks Pseudo. I downloaded the nutritional specs above, but it doesn't give me the all important carb:protein:fat ratios. Any info on those stats?

What ratios do you mean? The first PDF states:

PRODUCT CHARACTERISTICS

Protein (g/100g) 90.6

Fat (g/100g) 0.6

Total Carbohydrate (g/100g) 0.2

Sorry folks, only downloaded the second one, which only had amino acid composition. Thanks Flex.

just ordered me 20kg of protein concentrate, $335 excl gst, $15 shipping, total $391.875...

The isolate when i asked was $405 excl gst, im supprised u got quoted at 650 thats heaps!.. but is in a better proportion of price against the concentrate.

Also, those prices are set until Febuary 2008, I thought being so close to direct from the cow it would fluxuate as the price of milk does, But is not the case, "deal" Davis has with Fonterra lasts until febuary '08, after which i imagine it will rise as the price of milk seems to be doing, so get in quick.

i asked the hard questions :D:D

It must be different prices at different locations of Davis Trading. I just picked up 20kg of WPC from Davis trading and had to pay $391.00 + GST, came to $440 pick up from there store. Im sure they said two weeks ago it was only $319 + GST so pricing must change often

It must be different prices at different locations of Davis Trading. I just picked up 20kg of WPC from Davis trading and had to pay $391.00 + GST, came to $440 pick up from there store. Im sure they said two weeks ago it was only $319 + GST so pricing must change often

thats really bloody weird... its beyond me anyway... maybe i was conned and the dude just wanted my credit card number :D

i don't see how it can be about different locations, the impression i was given from my minimal dealings with them is that the place in auckland is the only one who supplies it, o well, who knows.

The price fluctuates on a regular basis, but lately only upwards. The cost of whey increased again in December, and I haven't heard of anyone that has been able to negotiate fixed pricing for it. I could be wrong but I think Fonterra have grown a little too big to negotiate deals with NZ companies.

I'd imagine the varying prices you guys are receiving are probably dependant on which person you get hold of at Davis trading, or whatever whim takes them at the time. It could also be a varying grade of whey protein.

Fonterra trade milk solids in the same way oil is traded...as a commodity. As a consequence we pay what overseas entities are prepared to pay. High, not low.

You guys wait, once Fonterra lists on the stock exchange, and really starts to act in the interestes of it's farmers, bodybuilders wil be looking for a new source of Protein!

HOORAY!

I got my 20kg bag of Alacen 450 whey protein instant wpc80 protein powder yesterday,

Just had my frist shake of it, just 300ml water and about 30g of the whey, it mixed fine in my little shaker i use, so was very pleased with that!

Also, found the taste almost pleseant! No bad flavour, and a slight hint of what reminded me of calves milk, so kinda tasty!

I noticed earlier on the thread somebody posted the nutritional value of the WPI, I have wpc obviously, but have had trouble finding

Also, i have no idea what "Alacen" means, or what the number represents, my WPC is Alacen 450, while the WPI is Alacen 895, can somebody provide some insight for me?