Ohjoshua's Intense city, lets ramp it up.

ohjoshua

A post-workout shake is a must! If you're not already having one, you should be. Of all the individual factors that make up training and diet, the post-workout shake is the one that has the biggest impact - I'd rate it even higher than workout intensity on the List Of Important Things... :D

here is a comment to all the pro protein shake, and think food is so important.

In the past I have eaten a lot better, but I trained worse...

Now my diet sucks, but I train better....

and now im making better gains. I think its more then 30% training (as they say) I reckon it makes it or brakes it.

:D

-oh thanks for the post though guys. I always have something and milk after training.

Thursday 5/04/07

C+J

bar*3

60kg*3

70kg*1

75kg*1

77.5kg*0,0 (cleaned but no jerk)

cleans

82.5kg*1,1

80kg*1

high pulls

82.5kg*5

C+J + ROHL (reverse overhead lunge)

20kg*1+5

60kg*1+5, 1+5 (f5)

1 leg high step ups

bw + 20kg*10

bw + 40kg*10

Leg curlz - (machine)

42*10

48*8 (f6)

54*7 (f6)

Supine leg curlz

2legs*10*2

Sunday 8/04/07

9.30-10.00

AM

STANDING CALF RAISES

2 legs*bw 10, 10 (warm up)

1 leg*bw*10eachleg,10el

-continueous 8el,8el (f6)-----rest1min------- 3el,5el,5el

SQUATING CALF RAISES (right up to top of toes)

2leg*bw*15,12

STANDING CALF RAISES

1leg*bw 10(f6)el

Meta- Yeah its a 'cheat' move. But it is smooth and explosive. Works the abbs something wicked

-----------------------------------------------------------

Thursday 15/04/07

TRICEPS

close grip BP

4 sets

close grip dips

4sets

skull crushes

4sets

highlight- close grip BP Decline 80kg*3

------------------------------------------------------------

Sunday 15/04/07

DEAD-SHRUG-RAISE DAY

50kg*10

100kg*3

110kg*2

120kg*2

125kg*1

130kg*1

135kg*1

140kg*1 (no shrug/raise, grip went at lockout), *1 (perfect) PB

145kg*1 (quite slow, but felt very good :) ) PB

150kg*0, 0

100kg*10

100kg*10 (had to regrip at 8 )

100kg*7 (had to regrip from 5th )

note: I was very happy with todays results. I havent done DL's in a couple of weeks and have been eating and training crap.

I did do static holding abb work in between sets which might have helped.

but yah! +10kg to DL always good.

:lol::D

I am not sure about the injury part, but I think the inner side of your gastrocnemius muscle is stronger than your outher side. When the load is very large, you unconciously find the strongest position. Research indicates ( sorry, no references here) that you generate the highest power when your toe is pointing straight ahead. I hope this helps.

Tuesday 17/04/07

10.15am - 11.10am

Upper Legs

Front Squats - Full squats

60kg*8

80kg*2

85kg*2 (lent a bit forward on 2nd)

90kg*1

95kg*0, 0 waaa :cry:

80kg*2 (f2)

Back squats - Parrell

80kg*2

95kg*1

105kg*1 PB

110kg*1 (didnt think it was low enough)

Leg Press

120kg*15

150kg*8 (f6 )

130kg*11 (f11)

Thursday 19/04/07

AM

C+J

30kg*5,3

60kg*3,1

70kg*1,2,1,2,2,3,3 (a couple slight press outs)

75kg*1,1

78kg*1 (ugly jerk), 1 PB

80kg*1 (dont know if id call it a press out... arms were pretty much straight) PB

70kg*2 + walk with weight over head and place on squat rack.

Super set.

70kg*clean + 5 squats

75kg*clean + 3 1/2 squats

:) done

-note... Is it possible for me to clean more then my 1RM front squat?

It is possible to clean more than you front squat. It depends on your technique. When you receive the weight, there is a large amount of reactive force, by actively support the body/bar system (stomp the ground). You can also utilize more elastic properties of your muscles to get out of the "hole". You can "spring load" your muscles a bit more when you clean. But it is quite rare to clean more than you squat (some lighter athletes) , the technique needs to be very very good.

Monday 23/04/07

LAT's

11.20 - 12.05

AM

CHINKICKS*89.5kg

10,9,8,4,5,3,3,3,2,2,1= 50

WIDEGRIP CHIN UPS -human assited

WIDEGRIP LAT PULLDOWN

100lb*8 (f7)

100lb*7

100lb*6

BB CURLZ

30kg*4 + 3N

30kg*3 + 3N

-note: This workout felt really hard because of yesterdays deadlift my grip and forearms were wasted! :)

It is possible to clean more than you front squat. It depends on your technique. When you receive the weight, there is a large amount of reactive force, by actively support the body/bar system (stomp the ground). You can also utilize more elastic properties of your muscles to get out of the "hole". You can "spring load" your muscles a bit more when you clean. But it is quite rare to clean more than you squat (some lighter athletes) , the technique needs to be very very good.

-mephistopheles

cheers for feedback... But If it were more effecient to spring from the hole why do powerlifters slowly descend into the hole?

I was more meaning utilising very bad technique... where a massive pull would compensate for a weak squat and it would be an extreme power clean.

power lifters only need to squat to parallel during competition. They squat with wide feet and hips back, it is mechanically favorable for a parallel squat compared to a Olympic squat. You can not go that low with very wide foot placement. Parallel is not the "hole". If you go down quick, then you will descend all the way down, you won't be able to stop at parallel. With up to 450 kg on your back, you will probably result in serious injury. A maximum squat is slow, you can not compare it to the "squat" portion of the clean recovery where reactive force can be utilized.

If you have a "massive pull", you already posses enough leg strength squat it, assuming your technique is sound. Some elite lifters (for instance 105kg lifter Dennis Godfrid (Ukraine). catch the weight at parallel. They tend to have exceptional leg power.

I think if you have bad technique, then there is no way you can pull more weight than you can front squat. Lets say if you front squat 100, you can probably clean 85-90. Now if you have bad technique, I don't think you can pull >100 kg high enough to do a "massive power clean". How can you possibly power clean more (with bad technique) than you squat clean (with good technique)? Do you get my drift? :?

O'L day

9.30 - 10.35am

Today I worked on doing full movements not my usuall power movements...

Snatch 30.6kg*3,3

C+J 30.6kg*3

Snatch 40.6kg*3 (missed first)

C+J 40.6kg*3

snatch 50.6kg*3

C+J 50.6kg*3

snatch 60.6kg*0 (i missed it and feel to the ground... got scared and gave up )

C+J 60.6kg*3: 70.6kg*2; 75.6kg*2, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1

those 75.6kg felt real good.... cant wait to try heavyer ones.

If you have a "massive pull", you already posses enough leg strength squat it, assuming your technique is sound. Some elite lifters (for instance 105kg lifter Dennis Godfrid (Ukraine). catch the weight at parallel. They tend to have exceptional leg power.

I think if you have bad technique, then there is no way you can pull more weight than you can front squat. Lets say if you front squat 100, you can probably clean 85-90. Now if you have bad technique, I don't think you can pull >100 kg high enough to do a "massive power clean". How can you possibly power clean more (with bad technique) than you squat clean (with good technique)? Do you get my drift? :?

I use collars but dont count them (they prob dont weigh much) the 0.6kg is just the random plate size (5.3kg) they look massive (20kg) so are good for my ego.

Oh and with regard to the whole "good" "bad" technique thing I kind of lost you.... were you being serious using the words "good" and "bad" or trying to make a point that if I can lift more using that method then it must be good? Remember my max full front squat is 90kg and my max pull is 145kg. I think I am at a mechnical disadvantage squating compared to pulling. I have put a lot more time and energy into squating then i have DLing and pulling (I have squated since day one and didnt begin DLing till much later).

I really appreciate your feed back, but keep one thing in mind....... 1. if this were 50 years ago and I was using todays technique you would proberbly be telling me my technique was "bad".

50 years ago, the barbell can not touch the body during the pull (rules back then) , so you have to pull with bent arms, this limits the effectiveness of the pull. Today's technique would be technically illegal back then.

The 145 kg pull, is it a fast clean pull (pulled to at least waist height with good speed and explosiveness) ? So you can catch it and stand up with it, if you had the leg strength. You mentioned you have bad leverage for squats. I think maybe you can try some alternative technique. For instance, use a split clean. It is faster to transition into a split than a squat. The downside is that it is harder to get out of a "low-split" than a squat, but we don't need to go that low. Assuming you have good leg power, despite the poor leverage, so you still can jerk it.

I think you are going through a transitional phase at the moment. If you just doing it for fun, you can change your technique to suit your current physical capability. But if you are a little more serious and really want to get good at weightlifting. I would recommend sticking to the normal squat cleans, and keep practicing with it. If you keep working on your squats and eventually it will go up. And then the technical superiority of squat cleans will pay off. Give it a bit more time. A couple of years ago when I was doing bodybuilding oriented training, I could deadlift 180kg, and parallel front squat 110. Since mid last year, i have been doing squats 2-3 times per week. Now I can do 145 ATG front squat. I am sure you will front squat 140 + within 3 years. I have faith in you.

:grin: :grin:

Tuesday 1/05/07

5.20 - 6.20 PM

Decline close grip BB BP

bar*20

50kg*10

60kg*10

70kg*7 (f7), 6 (f6)

Close grip Dips (89kg)

8, 5 + 5N, 8-human assited

Straight bar cable pull downs

48lb*9 (f7), 8 (f5), 8 (f4)

Machine Calf Raise

60kg*6

70kg*8

70kg*6

1 leg Calf raises

1 leg s/s 2 legs

3 + 10 + 3 + 10 + 3 *2

Machine Calf raise

70kg*5 (f4)

note to self: I moved back home 28/04/07.... diet should be alot cleaner and no more preformance dehancing drugs (i hope). This should result in a quicker recovery time

50 years ago, the barbell can not touch the body during the pull (rules back then) , so you have to pull with bent arms, this limits the effectiveness of the pull. Today's technique would be technically illegal back then.

well that ruined point I was trying to make.... lol :pfft:

The 145 kg pull, is it a fast clean pull (pulled to at least waist height with good speed and explosiveness) ? So you can catch it and stand up with it, if you had the leg strength.

Nah it stops being explosive at around 130kg... it slows down quite a bit after that.

You mentioned you have bad leverage for squats. I think maybe you can try some alternative technique. For instance, use a split clean. It is faster to transition into a split than a squat. The downside is that it is harder to get out of a "low-split" than a squat, but we don't need to go that low. Assuming you have good leg power, despite the poor leverage, so you still can jerk it.

I think you are going through a transitional phase at the moment. If you just doing it for fun, you can change your technique to suit your current physical capability. But if you are a little more serious and really want to get good at weightlifting. I would recommend sticking to the normal squat cleans, and keep practicing with it. If you keep working on your squats and eventually it will go up. And then the technical superiority of squat cleans will pay off. Give it a bit more time. A couple of years ago when I was doing bodybuilding oriented training, I could deadlift 180kg, and parallel front squat 110. Since mid last year, i have been doing squats 2-3 times per week. Now I can do 145 ATG front squat

Last training session I did do full C+J and snatches and they felt better then my "power" movements.... I think I will carry on doing them properly. I think ill stop making excuses for my weak squat and just put the energy I would put into excuses into squats :) .

I am sure you will front squat 140 + within 3 years. I have faith in you.

:grin: :grin:

thaks for the vote of confidence... make it 2 and a half and you got yourself a deal. :nod: