Post work out protein intake

Section

Just a quick query, I've read that its recommended to have a protein shake within 30min of your workout. How essential is this 30min time frame??

I work out, normally have a sauna and shower and then drive home which can take upto 45-hr. Then i have a shake. Is this really going to affect my grown by not having the shake within that 30min time frame.

Cheers in advance.

Just a quick query, I've read that its recommended to have a protein shake within 30min of your workout. How essential is this 30min time frame??

I work out, normally have a sauna and shower and then drive home which can take upto 45-hr. Then i have a shake. Is this really going to affect my grown by not having the shake within that 30min time frame.

Cheers in advance.

Not at all mate, just be sure to get it in when you can. Whether its a shake or meal.

Cheers in advance.

if its gona bug you then just take a shake to the gym and sip it in your sauna sesh, simple. the sooner the better.

Yeah, I think in an ideal world it would be the sooner the better. Particularly if you were on a severely calorie-restricted diet (like leading up to a bodybuilding comp) and couldn't afford to lose any muscle.

But in the real world, I wouldn't worry about it. The articles I've read refer to is as being a one-hour window, so go by them and you're fine!

I remember reading somewhere that it's more important to get your post workout fast carbs in your gut within half an hour than it is to get protein in.. Whether it was based on anything other than anecdotal evidence, who knows

Makes sense, as glycogen levels would be more depleted than blood level amino acids.

The protein obsession is laughable, especially for the supplement producers,distributors & retailers.

There was no such thing as protein powder when the likes of Sandow were alive. For those that don't know, his physique is what the Mr Olympia trophy is based on - often referred to as the Sandow.

Cheers in advance.

take the dry whey powder in your shaker to the gym with you, i have a bit of glucose powder and 5 grams of l-glutamine with mine, just add water after your workout and drink then.

do not pre-mix it before going to the gym because you want to drink whey fresh, so add water just before drinking, then you get your carbs and protein straight after training, best way to do it.

In a perfect world afterwards would be ideal. But you could take it an hour before. Then when ever you get home have your post workout.

As long as you are having enough protein in your day you will be sweet.

Ok this is my take on it

* If the human body was as catabolic as they say , we wouldnt survive so many centuries,I mean if we had to eat within one hour after excerscise do u honestly think cave men would have survived days without food?

*after your workout all your bloodflow is directed towards your muscles as opposed to your gut so digestion wouldnt be optimum I beleive ( this pure brains Storming rubbish so take it with a tablespoon of salt)

Post workout nutrtion is the most important though but i wouldnt freak out if I didnt eat anything for an hour afterwards.

I would however prefer to have the majority of my calories post workout.

do not pre-mix it before going to the gym because you want to drink whey fresh, so add water just before drinking, then you get your carbs and protein straight after training, best way to do it.

How important is this? I often pre-mix my whey shakes the night before I drink them, so it's often mixed 15 hours before I drink it

I have a shake right after my workout, then eat when I get home 20 minutes later (but takes time to cook it up).

The way I see it, some research is gonna tell you different shit. You read 30-45 minutes, Pseudo has read an hour in some cases. Other, say it doesn't matter.

Personally, I think go with the shorter window, one of them has to be right, and it would be better to play it safe, because having a post workout shake instantly, is going to do far more good than harm.

My 2 cents.

How important is this? I often pre-mix my whey shakes the night before I drink them, so it's often mixed 15 hours before I drink it

it was something i heard years ago, and so followed it, i heard whey can go off when it is pre-mixed, and if you are having it in a shaker, then you do not need to pre-mix it anyway.

take the dry powders in the shaker, and the water in a separate water bottle, then add and do the shake before drinking.

but i am not sure on how important it is, if anyone else knows?.

okay, i just did some reading online, and it is better fresh like i say, because once mixed in water the whey starts degrading, reducing the quality, and absorbtion abilities.

Over time, pre-mixed whey will break down. I imagine if you've kept it in the fridge, it should be ok for a day or so. I've often pre-mixed a bottle in the morning before work. Still, I'm sure for absolute optimum results, mixing just before drinking is better if possible.

If you're adding creatine in there as well, that DOES start breaking down, so don't pre-mix that.

INTRA

Xg sucrose (cut/bulk)

10g BCAA powder

50g whey

10g BCAA powder

20g Choclate powder

Xg Dextrose (cut/bulk)

i got shit loads of bcaa powder that I need to use ,Bcaa and whey really a good option or a waste?

who knows?

IMO it depends on the work you do in the gym. That will dictate how much your body soaks up. Excluding the use of insulin you can't really force this stuff into your cells, you can only work your muscle such that it absorbs more than normal.

It means if you eat this stuff during the day...it'll just float around be used for repair and then excreted 3hrs later (amino acids are in the blood for a few hours then thrown away).

If you eat it after a workout when your body is in a state where it wants to absorb more food, then it will consume more of those and obviously excrete less than the example above.

Make sense? hope so :-)

We talk about growing muscle all the time. But none of us (exlcuding heavy GH users and there are few of those in NZ) actually grow new muscle so we are only expanding existing ones. Expanding allows them to hold more food and shoving more food in enusres they stay big. If you did exercise that expanded the muscle then limited food supply post-workout you wouldn't grow as large a muscle. So PWO IS IMPORTANT!

This is why when we stop exercise, catch a cold, or eatr less we shrink in size. In this example our muscles aren't holding as much food, not as volumous (is that a word?)

It also explains why someone who eats as much as me isn't as big as me...without working the muscle to absorb the food the body (like I said earlier) can't be forced to cram the food into cells, it has to need to cram it in with the right stimulus in the gym.

So PWO, PWO, PWO all the way \:D/

EDIT: micro tears and the repair of them is still in the equation! But bigger repair just means they can hold more carbs and water....if you don't keep them filled up they won't be as big. Constantly filling them up and so therefore stretching them from the inside out is what produces "muscle growth"...smoke and mirrors. We do the same with Posing Oils, fill the muscle up from the inside to be bigger

AND THE ANSWER IS:

It doesn't matter, so long as you eat within 24hr.

Protein synthesis is increased for something like 24hours after you work out, so there is no magic time where you NEED to get in your protein. More importantly, 7-10g of BCAAs PRIOR to working out (30mins) will have a synergistic effect on protein synthesis that is stimulated by training.

Rubbish.

For staying the same size yeah sure, try eating protein 24hr after exercise and get big off it.

Guess you mean general fitness workout maybe.

Unless you do it everyday in which case your PWO 24hrs later coincides with your next days training PWO time. Crafty concept lolz ;-)