Build up to oceania's

Northland Powah

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

27-5-12 Northland Powerlifting Champs

Body weight: 81.5

Equipment checked in: belt, wrist wraps, soft suit, chucks, warehouse canvas shoes, long socks undeez

Squats:

155kg w,w,w

165kg w,w,w

175kg r,r,r (got out of the hole only to stall a couple of inches up)

Bench:

117.5kg w,w,w

122.5kg w,w,w

125kg w, w, w

Deadlift:

170kg w,w,w

180kg w,w,w

190kg w,w,w

Total: 480kg

Comments

Arrived to the competition a little late, so I was rushed through weigh in and gear check in which was pretty cool. Its usually a massive ordeal trying to wait around starving and usually a headache from being dehydrated. This time, in my new weight class. No problems! Weighed in at 81.5kg pretty heavy but I wasn’t too worried about wilks points.

Squats: I went to the gym on Thursday for a few reps to keep in the groove. I went to 160kg, which felt blimmen tough. So I was unsure whether to keep my opener at 155kg. When I started to warm up though I felt that extra adrenaline you get on comp day. So decided to keep it there. The first two felt great but 175 was just a little too heavy. I probably could have got 170kg

Bench: Bench was good. Not great, but good. Warming up felt strong. I warmed up to a 115kg with a 5 sec pause. But the comp was running a little late so kept heading back to the warm up area to do a few at 100kg. 117kg felt all right, but on cue my lower back started to tighten up. I spent some time stretching it out between sets. 122.5kg felt easier and 125kg felt easier than that! Probably could have squeezed out a 127 or even 130…

Deadlifts: I was freaking out with these. I hadn’t tried a deadlift in over a month so I wasn’t sure how I was going to go. I decided on a grip and rip approach. I have a new leaver belt which, in the past has not been ideal for deadlifts for me as it doesn’t have any ‘give’ causing me to have to mold around the belt, meaning I have to lean over more to grip the bar.

Warming up was bad. I warmed up 60, 100, 140 160 180 All for singles. 160 felt had. And I missed 180 Doh! I gave it another go and got it up only to have my grip slip.

So I called it quits for warm ups there and ran to the judges to change my first attempt to 170.

Once I was in front of the crowd it was a whole different story 170kg flew up, 180kg flew up and 190kg was still really quick! Should have had my last attempt at 195 or even 200

Results:

All in all a good day. I picked up first in my division (1st out of 1) and also best open lifter on wilks, which I was not expecting at all! I came away with heaps of motivation and a few medals but the best thing was the amount of people who commented on how good my technique is getting.

I managed to video my squat lifts which I will try to post on here if I can.

Going Forward..

Ok so after my stint with Smolov I think I'm going to keep it up as I’m responding realy well to the frequency and intensity of it. Although I will start again with the base cycle with my new max and maybe work my way through the intense cycle. I have heard that the intense can be a bit too much.

The last time around I cycled onto creatine and managed to keep my calories high enough to fly through it and even bump up the weights along the way. This time I may not be able to do that. This time through I’m going to keep on creatine and cycle onto DAA for four weeks to see how my body responds. Ive kept my calories high by eating my normal food and making a shake to drink through the day

5 x scoop of protein 125g protein

2 x scoop of oats

1 x Banana

1 x big shot glass EVOO

Not sure on calories although it’s kept me going so far

In terms of juggling my bench and deads, Im going in favour of a WSBB approach to bench and not worrying about deads for the foreseeable future as it seems to go up on the Smolov. I have used WSBB for bench in the past and it has helped my lifts, although that’s when I used a 36 fury. This time around I will be cycling ME exercises that are similar to the actual lift. i.e. Close, Medium and wide grip which I will Mix with bands. I will work up to a 5rm, 3rm, 2rm and 1rm each session That’s 6 weeks’ worth of possible cycle there..

My training program will be 4 or 5 times a week for the next 4 weeks. I have no immediate competition in mind, although I like the idea of the raw Nationals at the end of this year. So I will keep up the hard yards and hopefully get a total something over 510….

SO I guess my short term goals for the moment are

Squat 180kg

Bench 130kg

Deadlift 200kg

That would give me a 510 total which I will test in 4 weeks.

Body Weight 81kg

DE Bench: 9 set 3 reps x 50kg + blue band

squats:

60kg x 10

100kg x 5

140kg x 5

Warm down:

walking lunges rotator stuff

Comments:

Just a little workout to get the body used to lifting again. Bench was awesome! forgot how much I like WSBB stuff. The squats were awful! rep 3+4 were shockers. The weight was rolling up my back due to my elbows being all over the show. I've gotta work on external rotators and shoulder mobility some more to lock the bar in harder and lower. Im going to keep the blue band on all DE sessions, I feel the bands allow you to keep accelerating all the way through the lift, rather than slowing down towards the top.

81.5kg

Walking lunges bw x 16

Squats:

20 x 10

60 x 10

80 x 5

100 x 5

120 x 3

140 x 5 Belt

145 x 5

Sumo Deadlifts

60 x 1

100 x 1

140 x 1

180 x 1

200 x 0 (off the ground but stalled about two or three cms up though)

Walking lunges

Rotators + Shoulder mobility

Comments: Body weight is up. Deadlifts felt good, it was a bit cheeky going for the 200 but in a way it increased my confidence as it did get off the ground.

I had a talk to a guy studying strength and conditioning. He was talking about energy leaks of something it sounded interesting. Then he did a test on me to show how badly my muscles were out of balance. I could have told him that beforehand pffft.

This week I'm just chillin with my squats and starting the base cycle on Monday nek week. There is another local comp coming up on the 14th of July 6 and a half weeks away so I will be aiming to hit my short term goals then

81.5kg

Bench Press Comp grip + Blue band (approx 15-20kg at the top and 0kg at the bottom)

20kg x 10

60kg x 5

80kg x 5

60kg + bb x 5

80kg + bb x 5

90kg + bb x 5

95kg + bb x 5

97.5kg + bb x 5 MAX

100kg x 3 MAX

110kg x 2 MAX

115kg x 1

117kg x 1 MAX

db seated press x 1

db seated power cleans x 1

Lat pull downs x 3

Comments:

two things to comment on.

1) Biceps starting to hurt on bench press. Not sure what it’s from… maybe a little too much use Squats, pull downs and bench press

2) Playing around with running shoes (raised heal) on bench at the moment and it seems to be helping with set up and leg drive. I may look around at getting a decent pair to train and compete with.

BW: 80.5

Smolov base: W1 D1 (weight, reps, sets)

warm up:

20kg x 10 x 2

60kg x 10 x 2

80kg x 5 (wrist wraps on)

100kg x 5

Working sets:

120kg x 9 x 4

Bench Press

20kg x 20

60kg x 5

60kg + blue band 3 x 9

Comments:

No f**kn around today in and out.

I was suposed to do some accessory exercises and stretches but I didn't want to be wasting my long weekend in the gym although it will be closed tomorrow so had to go. D - aspartic acid is giving me headaches. I decided to have it after my workout so it wasn't affected. I'll play around with timing and with/without food to see if that helps. Has anyone else had similar issues with it and resolved it without stopping?

Just came across this journal mate, really strong raw lifting, very impressive!

And another Smolov brother! Good to see you got through the Base unscathed and you're even going back for more! True disciple :grin: Look forward to seeing how the gains work out for you this time around.

Don't be too worried about the intense cycle, my advice is to have a shot at it. I wanted to throw in the towel after the base cycle, but my training partner was keen so I went through with it, and am very glad that I did. It is hard work, for sure, but that is where the "true" gains are made... I think the mental toughness is the main thing that you get from it - seeing something on paper that terrifies you, and then going into the gym and doing it anyway 8)

All the best mate will follow with interest, and hope to see you at a nats or something down the track :nod:

Cheers Drizzt

Yeah the base cycle did wonders for me! It really got my squat back on track and quickly. Im subscribing to the if it aint broke dont fix it thing at the moment so Im going to go another round. If its shit, I'll do the intense to switch it up a gear!

I understand about having to put the hard yards in to get rewards, during the last base cycle I added 12.5kg during the second week and another 10kg in the last week which was one of my best acomplishments! at that time I could hardly fit any of my pants.

Its cool that there are so many that have done it or are doing it right now as there are so many people to learn from. To be honest reading through your journal was one of the reasons I decided to give it a whirl. Im not going to Nats this year, although I'm going to give the raw ones a go in November hopefully! My job gives me paid leave to compete at National events which is great.

Thanks for the advice and best of luck for squat domination!

Smolov w1 d2

BW: ?

Warmups:

active stretches + increasing to working sets

Working sets:

137.5kg x 7 reps x 5 sets

wormdowns: none

Comments:

bad workout. I had a major headache and queazy stomach, I got the sets done and headed home. If it wasn't written down I honestly wouldn't have bothered but I'm glad I did it now. At home now couple of Nuramols down. should be sweet soon

Back in tomorrow for a ME bench sesh

BW:?

ME bench medium grip

warm up: the bar and progressivley heavier

ME:

5x 105kg

3x 107.5kg

1x 117.5kg

A few lat raises to finnish off.

Comments:

I forgot to take some shorts so had to bench in my jeans. Not ideal. I wasnt really impressed with the workout but oh well you have some of those. Also just realised That I lifted 5kg more for my sets on the last smolov sesh... no wonder it was so hard. So tonight I have 7 sets of 5 reps at 140 only 2.5kg heavier than my 7's the day before.

Smolov w1 d3

BW 80.5kg

Working sets

7 sets 5 reps 140kg

Comments:

Hard workout as I hadn't really recovered from Wednesday! got all the sets done eventually. It felt like I needed such large rests that I was almost getting cold by the time I was ready again.

Also Body weight was down which is strange because I needed to loosen my belt by a notch. So weight down and gut bigger.... hmmm not the body transformation I am looking for.

Smolov Week 1 Day 4

Warm up:

normal warmup

Working sets

10 sets 3 reps @ 150kg

Comments:

Bloody hard! the third rep on sets 7,8,9 &10 were real grinders. It felt like my hip and knee joints were about to explode. on top of that my left shoulder was killing me. I should have had a couple of Ibuprofens before heading in I think. Im not sure if I am going to be able to complete the next week as is on paper. My body is just not getting the rest and I'm not adapting as quick as the program progresses. I may change to a 5kg jump next week and 5 the week after that just so I can get through it. Or maybe thats just my weak mind speaking.

Does anyone have any tricks to speed up recovery?

BW: 80.5kg

Smolov W2 D1

warm up:

progressive weight on the bar

Working sets:

9 reps x 4 sets @ 132.5kg

Warm down:

none

Comments:

I had a bad back day today :( the weight went up relatively easy but my back was killing me. So I stopped for the day.

I headed in today (Tuesday) to finish off. I did....

WESTSIDE!

3 reps x 9 sets @ 80kg + blue band

face pulls

lat pull downs

shoulder mobility

rotators

Out

Smolov W2 D2

BW:81.5kg

Working sets:

5 sets x 7 reps @ 142.5kg

warm down:

walking lunges

face pulls

Out 8)

Comments:

I had a good back day. I was dreading this all day, although I popped an antiflam and a double scoop coffee about an hour before and had a mean buzz going. I smashed the weights up easy as!

Random bench press session

BW: 81.5kg

Bench press:

20kg x 5

60kg x 5

80kg x 5

100kg x 5, 5

110 x 3

120kg x 1

125kg x .5

100kg x 5, 5, 5

One set of ten rep chin ups. shit I'm weak at them. On my priority list

Smolov W2 D3+4

Warm ups: usual warmups

Working sets:

150kg x 5 reps x 7 sets

Warm downs: usual warmdowns

Warm ups:

lunges, active stretches, but kicks light squats

Working sets:

160kg x 3 reps x 10 sets

no warm down.

Comments:

Friday was awesome! the strongest I have ever been. Saturday was a grind. Set 8 I missed my last rep due to a bad set up and not being mentally ready. I sorted it out on my other sets and got it done! My body is feeling pretty beat up right now and I have squats again today! All part of the game :)

Tuesday

BW:82.5kg

Bench Press

60kg x 3 reps x 5 sets

100kg x 5 reps x 5 sets

Pull ups: 11 (still very weak)

random shoulder exercises and mobility

Comments: I need to start adding some volume to my bench workouts as feel I'm going backwards, so DE bench is cut in half and 5x5 is added in its place. Pullups are going OK... Trying to keep them going. I missed my Wednesday squat due to taking a sickie and not wanting to go into the gym incase I got caught haha, so I'll do that today. Which means that Saturday will be 7 sets of 5. Im in no hurry to finish Smolov as I still have approx 3 Weeks untill my next comp.

Comments: I need to start adding some volume to my bench workouts as feel I'm going backwards, so DE bench is cut in half and 5x5 is added in its place. Pullups are going OK... Trying to keep them going. I missed my Wednesday squat due to taking a sickie and not wanting to go into the gym incase I got caught haha, so I'll do that today. Which means that Saturday will be 7 sets of 5. Im in no hurry to finish Smolov as I still have approx 3 Weeks untill my next comp.

Hey bro, I'm not sure if you saw my reply over in my log - and I know you haven't gone crazy with the volume - but be a bit careful with upping things outside of the squats. It isn't at all unusual to be fatigued from squats to the point where it seems as if your bench is going backwards. In fact, if you weren't, I'd question how hard you were squatting :pfft:

Smolov is designed to up your squat, and in doing Smolov, the sacrifice you make is you won't (well, as part-time lifters, shouldn't) be able to give as much focus to the other 2 lifts.

I believe you should focus on maintaining the other 2 lifts while you hammer the squat, rather than necessarily trying to improve them (if doing so is detrimental to your squat workouts). You will likely find that as your squat goes up, the other 2 will follow anyway :nod:

The mistake with most people doing Smolov, isn't that they are incapable of the workload, it's that they add to it unnecessarily. The program is designed to walk you along a fine line of success and failure, pushing you to your limits - and additional stresses (extra gym work, a physical job, or even not enough food or rest) can push you over the edge to missing reps.

I'm going out on a limb here and assuming that when Smolov/Feduleyev designed this program, they didn't do so worrying how it would affect their disciples Bench or Deadlift, they were focused on creating a program that ups the squat :nod: With that in mind, too much extra over and above the prescribed could weaken the effectiveness of the program.

It's how I look at it anyway :shifty:

Either way bro, if you do feel up to it, then by all means, go for it. Just trying to say not to stress too much about it seemingly going backwards :nod: With a good rest/deload before the comp, you'll find things will come back quickly.

Good luck, you're doing very well so far.

Hey Drizzt

Thanks for the reply. Really informative! I heard that the Smolov was originally designed for olympic lifting which is why it can be so specific to one lift.

I hear you on the volume for bench and to be honest, I think I've got a little more in me for bench without affecting my squat (not too much). I haven't even thought of deadlifting while on it. Pre smolov I was doing some extreme volume (see attached program) which worked good. I'll probably go back to this program after Smolov has kicked my arse!

The thing I have going for me that is helping is a calories. In the past I had been restricted as I was in the u74kg class. Since Smolov I have literally put on 10kg and climbing.

Haha how hard am I squatting? are you insane :grin: I fear squat day.

new test program.xls

Smolov W3 D2

BW: 83kg :grin:

Warm ups:

lunges, active stretches working up to heavies

Working sets:

147.5kg x 7 reps x 5 sets

Warm down:

spin bike

Comments:

I had another bad back day :cry: but I got through my sets with relative ease. The speed is disappearing which is a worry for the last day which, in most likely hood will be half a week late as I'm super busy at the moment. Day three will be on Monday and day four will be on approx Wed which will give me a test on Saturday and two weeks until the comp. Good times!

So after a big weekend I have just successfully completed the base cycle of smolov again!

The last workout called for 10sets 3reps at 165kg (my max at the last comp)

I will probably max out on Friday or Saturday for a new projected max, which I'm hoping will be 180kg+

From here I'm going back to sheiko for a 12 Week cycle. Looking foward to not having to quat 4x per week!

The sheiko program I will be completing I have posted on here called new test program. Its intense but it works. This time around with positive calories I'm hoping to have some good progress heading towards the raw nats.

• 2 weeks later...

So tested my max on Sunday last week. Worked up to 180kg with a bit in the tank. Then did some bench, 110kg x 5 easy as. Then went on holiday for a week. Just got back now, I went for a workout today just to get the blood pumping. I'll get into the gym 3 or 4 times before the comp on Saturday. Hopefully I'll hit my numbers at this comp!