Build up to oceania's

Northland Powah

Hi Guys thought I would start a journal/log to keep my motivation up

In the past I have lifted as an under 75kg lifter (74kg last year) but feel its time to move up and get my lifts going again. Basically I eat up get strong then cut down to my weight only to find little overall strength gain.

This year Im focusing raw strength where hopefully next year I will be competing in either a raw nationals or putting some gear on later down the track and compete in the Nats.

Since Nationals last year sheiko has been my training style of choice as It's template based so I pick up my program and follow it and go home. I will plan on doing this again maybe the reduced volume 13 weeker from the BMF forums.

Before then I have 4 weeks till the Northland champs. I'm thinking of running the first mesocycle of Smolov for the next three weeks as well as on Mondays working up to about 95% on the bench and later on in the week doing some lighter work, something like 5x5. Im open to suggestions on this.

Starting strength in this Journal is

Squat 160kg

Bench 125kg

Deadlift 185kg

These were all done in competitions under 74kg raw.

Onwards and upwards!

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today was the first day of Smolov. I put 155kg as my max for it, which is about my max now.

The first day called for 3 sets of 9 reps @ 107kg. Pretty easy but my lower back gets a hammering with higher (powerlifting higher) reps.

I followed this with working up to 120kg on the bench press with a decent 1-2 sec pause

Finally a couple of chins to wrap up.

Just like Sheiko its the accumulative fatigue that gets you so Im doing thorough warmups and will take an active approach to recovery. stretches light exercise, increase calories ect.

In and out in under an hour. Wow nothing like my sheiko 2hr missions

Welcome to the forum mate, and good on ya for starting up a journal. Strong lifts for sure, especially that bench! Puts mine to shame :oops: :pfft:

4 weeks to fill so Smolov it is, love it! I ran the base to lead into the Otago Champs and got 15kg out of it, probably 20kg if I had of had the balls to go for it :lol: I'll be starting it again in 2 weeks and running it right through the intense this time. Drizzt and MT have also ran it right through with some amazing results, great program for sure :nod: Look forward to seeing how you go with it.

hopefully next year I will be competing in either a raw nationals

Why not this year mate? Raw nats aren't until Nov 3rd this year, plenty of time left to prep and with starting numbers like yours and the time available you'd be able to put up a very respectable effort.

Weight 78.5kg

warm-up

walking lunges, shoulder mobility

bench press

warm-up sets 60kg, 80kg

100kg 5x5 (pause)

warm down

walking lunges, stretches, spin bike

comments:

Just a small workout just to get the blood pumping. Im going to try and bench 5x5 on a Thursday adding 2.5 kg every week of the smolov routine. These felt easy even though my technique was all over the place, so I'll have to dial it in for the Monday sessions. On a positive, I was able to use my lats heaps which I always struggle with.

No DOMS today which, I was guessing would have hit with severity... back to the rack tomorrow for 7sets of 5reps at 125kg. Cant wait!

Week 1 day 3 Smolov

Body weight: 78.5

Warm-up: walking lunges, shoulder mobility, active leg stretches

High bar squats: 20kg x 10, 60kg x 10

Low bar squats 60 x 5, 80 x 5, 100 x 5

Working sets: 7 sets of 5 reps x 125kg

warm down: Walking lunges, static stretches

Post workout: 11 Slices of Pizza Hut Pizza, 2 glasses of pepsi, 1/2 garlic bread. Anyone wana to challenge?

Comments: Good workout. I managed to get a good feed beforehand with gave me enough energy to last the workout easily. Notch on belt may need adjusting any day now 8) .

Week 1 day 4 Smolov

Body weight: 78.5

Warm-up: walking lunges, shoulder mobility, active leg stretches

High bar squats: 20kg x 10, 60kg x 10

Low bar squats 60 x 5, 80 x 5, 100 x 5

Working sets: 10 sets of 3 reps x 132.5kg

Comments: not too bad considering around 14hrs from my last squat session. A few reps needed grinding up which was no good. My post work out nutrition from the day before must have been spot on haha. Cant wait for next week. Everything stays the same with +10kg on the bar. I guess there will be a few grinders, hopefully no fails.

Smolov

week 2 day 1

Bodyweight: 80kg

Warm up:

high bar squat 20kg x 10, 60kg x 5

lunges

active stretches for legs, lower back, and shoulders

Low bar squat 60kg x 5, 80kg x 5, 100kg x 5

Working sets:

4 sets x 9 reps @ 117.5kg

Bench press:

100kg x 5

105kg x 3

110kg x 2

115kg x 1

120kg x 1

122kg x 1

lat pull downs 3 sets.

Comments

Dang what a workout! The weight felt easy but my lower back was killing me. After the first set it cramped up hard and I started getting sciatica. Nipped up to the truck and grabbed my Diclofenac, then did some static stretches and lay on my back in the squat rack like a tard. I managed the rest of my sets by lying on my back and doing light stretches.

I moved onto bench. Back still f**ked. Working my way up I could tell that I'm getting weaker :( The 122 was tough as I couldn't get the grove with my tight ass back.

So a mixed bag today weight was easy, I may even think of increasing my weights something like adding +10kg to the last week as I'm gaining weight quite easy.

Is there anyone here that could give me some advice on lower back issues? I know its difficult without seeing my technique.

Week 2 Day 2

warm-up normal stuff

working sets 5sets of 7reps 130kg

normal warm-down stuff

Comments: lower back still getting inflamed during sets which is upsetting. The weights were kind of hard but considering I bumped them up 2.5kg it was to be expected. I forgot to weigh myself today will remember on Fri hopefully.

body weight: 78.5

bench press

5x5 @ 102.5kg

doubled blue band 60kg x 10, 10

Comments:

Good little workout, the weight felt easy today which is great. I forgot how much I enjoy bands. Might make it a staple on a thursday. I was shocked with my weight... WTF going backwards? better do some more eatz.

Also I'm getting addicted to the feel of swollen legs 24/7 they honestly feel twice as large.

body weight 78.5kg

Sheiko week 2 day 3

warm up:

leg swings

lower back stretches

high bar squats 10 x 20kg, 10 x 60kg

shoulder mobility exercises

walking lunges

low bar 60x5, 80x5, 100x5 130x3

Working sets:

7sets x 5reps @ 137.5kg

warm down:

Walk to pub for a few handles

Comments:

Pulled a groin muscle last night :grin: had to do extra warm ups for groins. The sets were hardish, really making use of my hammies and glutes tho which is good. PWO cider, pizza. About 14hours until my next workout.

Tomleegolf

yeah I've got at least the Northland Champs which is in about two weeks. After that Im going to get back onto the sheiko buzz for a while, then Ill re-evaluate closer to the National raw champs at the end of the year. What about you? North Island Champs? Nats?

Yep north islands on the 9th of June. I want to do nats but that depends on how i go at nis and whether I can afford to go down there.

Raw nats are a definite and considering Oceanias in December too.

Smolov week 2 day 4

bodyweight: ??

Warm-up

high bar squats 20kg x 10, 60x 5, 60x5

leg swings, lower back stretches

lunges

Low bar squats

60x5, 80x5, 100x5, belt on 120x3

Working sets

145kg 10 sets, 3 reps

warm-down

walking lunges

Comments

Good workout. The weight felt pretty light and on the third set they flew up. I missed getting to the gym yesterday... .long story :roll: So I'll go Tue, Thur, Sat and maybe like Tuesday or Wednesday. Im thinking of adding another 10kg on the last week as Im adjusting quite well to the training. This week was 12.5kg heavier than the week before. so 10kg again shouldn't be impossible. No issues with the back today Yay!

Body Weight 80kg

bench press

60kg x 10, 10

80kg x 5

90kg x 5, 5

100kg x 5

105kg x 3

110kg x 3

112.5kg x 2

115kg x 1

120kg x 1

125kg x 1

Lat pull downs: 3 sets, 10 reps

external rotator work

Comments

I was pretty happy with the 125 today, It shows that my bench strength is still about where it was 6 months ago. I know with a bit of proper training and plenty of cals it will continue to increase. Body weight was up today which is good. At the Northland Champs I want at least a 127kg bench so that at least I have improved. Cant wait to test my squat!

Smolov week 3 day 1

warm-ups

Working sets

4sets of 9reps @ 130kg

warm-down

Walking Lunges

Comments

Not back pain on the high rep squats today, this is because I didnt go as low (still hit depth, and lowering the bar a little further down my back and keeping a slightly more upright position. I'm Well above where I should be on the Smolov routine but the next three workouts look pretty hard though, combinating on the last day with 10 sets of 3 with my max weight..

Body weight 80.5kg

bench press:

20kg x 10

60kg x 5

80kg x 5,5

100kg x 5

105kg x 5sets of 5reps

60kg x 10, 10, 10 (speed reps)

Lat pull downs: 10 sets x 3 reps

external rotator stuff, Pec stretches

Comments: more of a social time at the gym today, a couple of the team were training hard on the deadlift so gave them some encouragement.

Im planning a squat sesh for Sunday that will be 147.5kg for 5 reps 7 times. Think I might drop it back to 145 but we will see. Also that will mean I'll be leaving my last workout quite close to the comp. So I'll either push it to Monday or drop the sets and weight and do on like Wednesday.

Smolov week 3 day 3

Bodyweight:80.5

Warmup: walking lunges, active stretches

2okg x 5

60kg x 5

80kg x 5

100kg x 5

120kg x 3

140kg x 3

Working sets 147 x 5 reps x 7 sets

Comments:

Easily the hardest workout so far. Everything felt good, no back issues ect. I was training with a partner today so had some extra motivation to not miss. Im thinking I'll stop there with the smolov, as I dont want to compromise recovery time coming in to my comp on Satureday.

Im guessing I'll head in on Tuesday for some Bench and squats, then again on Thursday for even lighter stuff.

Last week before the competition

I havent been able to make it into the gym since Sunday, although I have managed to do a little bench press.

I organised a bench press competion at my highschool which was cool. Just a way of getting some publicity into the sport. A few students showed some potential. One guy about 70kg managed a 107.5kg and a girl did a 40kg bech which was awesome. I had to show off so did a 120kg bench just to show them who's boss pfft.

So I'll hopefully get in tomorrow for a small squat and a tiny bit more bench. Ive got to be at a ripper rugby comp all day so hopefully I'll still have some energy.