Squats or Vertical legpress

TUCKER

• 3 weeks later...

I've used a verticule leg press before in a gym in Austrailia.

It was catagorically awsome.

It will inhillilate your legs.

Much recommended,these machines are class one leg killers,great.

I would'nt compare them to squats as they are more of an isolated leg movement.

But alot more of a blast than the standard leg press!

If you cant squat cause off hip flexor stiffness.. stretch it ttill you solve it !

Its not a permanent ailment... type up hip flexor stretchors on google and practice the exs 3 times a week...

start with an empty bar and practice squatting all the way down.

Stretch your halms/glutes/quads at least3 times each session 3 times a week... start slow and you will get there. Dont avoid the squat, use that leg press till you have enough mobility to start squatting.

My $.02 - I'm a squats fan. My local gym has a few different leg press machines, but the only one of those I use regularly is the 45° one.

I prefer squats in that I figure I'm using more stablising muscles - I can also go all the way down without "compression effects". I've found that when I lower too much on leg press, my ankles cop it, regardless of foot positioning.

That's just me - give both a try over time and see which you prefer.

If you cant squat cause off hip flexor stiffness.. stretch it ttill you solve it !

Its not a permanent ailment... type up hip flexor stretchors on google and practice the exs 3 times a week...

start with an empty bar and practice squatting all the way down.

Stretch your halms/glutes/quads at least3 times each session 3 times a week... start slow and you will get there. Dont avoid the squat, use that leg press till you have enough mobility to start squatting.

Totally agree. I used to have hip flexor issues but that was only 'cos I never did any stretching and had tight hammies & calves.

I'd stretch after weights and even when I was at home watching TV. Sounds fluffy but it worked :grin:

• 4 weeks later...
I've seen guys using the smith machine for these.

:shock:

That sounds pretty dangerous!

Another good exercise for the glutes are bulgarian lunges: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Glu ... Squat.html

Evil, evil exercise :twisted:

EDIT: Deadlifts hit the hammies & glutes harder than squats.

Yes straight leg deadlifts do seem to be a lot better for the glutes than squats.

There's no arguments from me................nothing beats Squats, period.

But a lot of people find them difficult for various reasons. If you are going to go with a Leg Press, the the Vertical one is the ducks-guts. It leaves the 45% for dead.

Vertical Leg Press allows you to go very deep, which in turn activates Glute & Hamstring muscles.

Any leg exercise that allows you to get your knees up really high or gets your bum down near the ground will work Hammys & Glutes. A few people here have mention Lunges. I would recommend those above any other movement for Hammys & Glutes.

Choose ballistic type movements, no half/quarter movements. Have a look at some of the Olympic sprinters. They have sensational Glutes & Hammys. Watch their movements; they lift their knees up very high.

I find most BBers with poor Hammys & Glutes are just lazy, they don't squat deep enough. Of course, genetics count for a lot too.