Bad knee

tgzerozone

Right, so I have very bad (Abnormal as the doctor called it) knees.

I have been through 4 surgeries from removing pieces of the patella that broke off to shortening ligaments and muscles on the outside of the leg to try and stabilize it.

I seem to be running into issues again. I cannot:

1. Straighten my leg at all (Straighten as in stretch it out completely). This causes severe pain in the patella region

2. I cannot have any weight on my leg when it is straight.

3. cannot sleep on my stomach at all with my knee being pressure by a mattress.

4. Cannot squat down completely (feels like pressure stopping me from going down all the way, maybe fluid on the knee-cap)

I do however have normal working of the leg as long as it is bend, no issues with Dead Lifts and so forth. Had a bit of pain the other day doing squats on the smith machine but then heard that the smith machine tends to be hard on the knees.

Question(s):

1. After 4 surgeries, do I bother having it checked again, would they at all be able to fix it if they have not been able to after 4 surgeries?

2. Any recommended leg braces to gym with?

Must add that left knee is currently twice the size of right knee.

I'll lay out the surgery a little:

Surgery 1:

12 years old, did long jump, launched with the wrong leg (left, I am right), completely straightend and broke off a piece of patella. Broken of piece ended up getting bigger and I had it removed, along with my kneecap sanded down due to superficial cracks.

Surgery 2:

Went to give my trusted pitbull his feed, in pitch black of night. Pitbull proceeds to attack and t-bones me. Leg bends the wrong way and piece of patella shatters off. Pitbull proceeds to lick face after my severe screaming and agony... Does not help. Atroscopy follows to remove shattered pieces.

Surgery 3: (Think it was called "Lateral release" surgery)

Due to more problems, muscles and ligaments on outside of leg are shortened to try and stabilize knee. Another atroscopy to remove "shrapnel".

Surgery 4:

Another atroscopy to remove shrapnel.

far out :-|

i have no idea what you need but if I had knees like this and wanted to train I wouldn't step into a gym without knee sleeves, and then use wraps for squatting etc. Even if I could do deadlifts fine with a bent knee I would still use wraps and not go so heavy or do partial deads.

Have you tried the switch to benching and just wear jeans all the time instead :pfft:

far out :-|

i have no idea what you need but if I had knees like this and wanted to train I wouldn't step into a gym without knee sleeves, and then use wraps for squatting etc. Even if I could do deadlifts fine with a bent knee I would still use wraps and not go so heavy or do partial deads.

Have you tried the switch to benching and just wear jeans all the time instead :pfft:

LMAO Android, I have considered training in longer pants yes! I've got pretty bulky calves and it would be sacrilege not to train the legs!

Should I give these a go? Do they come in different sizes. Quads are 58 cm and calves 41 cm (EDIT, found this, seems to explain it fine: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/gary3.htm)

http://www.bodybuilding.co.nz/knee-wrap ... ports.html

I suppose there is a certain way of wrapping them, hopefully the package will show as I have not used any of this ever.

I guess I am just worried about the straightening thing, having a bit of trouble walking normally, but can still squat! LOL.

They look just fine.

Just saying I think stability is critical regardless of your condition, that's all I would know you need.

Without being taught most of us squat by bending our knees first and this is not good as I learnt this weekend. Learn how to squat properly from someone who knows, it may extend the amount of years you can enjoy the gym.