What the hell is Crossfit?

Katie1309

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's about 8 or so Auckland affiliates these days, most of them will link to the crossfit mainsite, which should give you a decent amount of info.

In a nutshell it is high intensity circuit style training using a variety of different exercises, and incorporating the Oly lifting styles as well. All boxes also stick in a strength component most days (usually 5x5 or 5x3 sets).

It has its good and bad points like any style of training.

I took this from my crossfit affiliates site:

CrossFit is an exercise methodology, an approach to fitness.

CrossFit offers a two-fold definition of fitness. Firstly, we identify 10 physical attributes associated with physical performance: cardio-respiratory endurance, stamina, strength, speed, power, flexibility, agility, coordination, balance and accuracy. ‘Fitness’ equates to capacity in each of these areas. CrossFit endeavours to improve all of these attributes. To do this, we incorporate a huge variety of exercises and combine them in an almost infinite number of ways in the ‘workout of the day’ (WOD). Importantly, we utilise functional movement, i.e. movements that are used in real-life and are useful for doing real tasks; no pec-decks or leg curl machines in our gym. Instead, olympic lifts, body-weight exercises, kettlebells and gymnastics form the core of the programme.

Secondly, fitness is defined as our ability to perform work: work capacity. Running a certain distance, lifting a weight a certain number of times, shifting a load from one place to another all involve performing work. The aim of CrossFit is to increase our capacity to perform this work. This ‘real-life’ fitness is of benefit to everyone, whether for sport, at work, or for every-day tasks like gardening or shopping, or just general well-being.

In short, CrossFit is constantly varied, functional movement performed at intensity to increase work capacity.

In practice, it means workouts that are always different, always challenging and always fun.

The gyms in and around town are more expensive than the ones out here in the burbs - you're essentially training in a small group, so it works out to the same per session as your typical bootcamp.

:)

And just because I fucking love it, and talking about it, here's an example of 3 days last week.

Strength: Strict press, 1RM

WOD: ‘Secret Service Snatch Test’

10min AMRAP (as many rounds as possible in 10mins)

KB snatch (24/16kg)

Another day:

200m tyre pulls (20/15kg)

20 Squats

15 hand-release push-ups

10 toes-to-bar

3 rounds for time

And another day:

25 HSPU (handstand pushups)

50 Toe-to-bar

Run 800m

75 Push-press (30/20kg)

150 Double-unders (600 singles)

Hope that explains it better 8)

why are the plates so big when the weights are obviously light as f*ck? (how much do they even weigh?)

BRB using cross-fit plates for ego boost

Bumper plates, bounce and don't smash concrete and stuff when they are dropped. Pretty standard.

Not a fan but if it's keeping people active then it's awesome.

why are the plates so big when the weights are obviously light as f*ck? (how much do they even weigh?)

most of the barbell lifts done in crossfit are from the ground so it makes sense to me that the plates should all be the same size. everyone is they lifting from the same distance off the ground which makes it fair.

same as olympic lifting... everyones barbell is the same height off the ground.

i think its stupid that in normal gyms the 20kg, 15kg and 10kg plates are different sizes... so if you are doing a deadlift or a snatch or anything off the ground one person could be lifting from higher up where another could be lifting from lower down... i think that is more stupid than having a 5kg plate the same size as a 20kg plate.

most of the barbell lifts done in crossfit are from the ground so it makes sense to me that the plates should all be the same size. everyone is they lifting from the same distance off the ground which makes it fair.

i think its stupid that in normal gyms the 20kg, 15kg and 10kg plates are different sizes... so if you are doing a deadlift or a snatch or anything off the ground one person could be lifting from higher up where another could be lifting from lower down... i think that is more stupid than having a 5kg plate the same size as a 20kg plate.

yeah i see your point, just looks weird in the vid with girls doing 4pps ohp or whatever it is. are the lighter crossfit plates thinner than the heavier ones or all the same thickness?

yeah i see your point, just looks weird in the vid with girls doing 4pps ohp or whatever it is. are the lighter crossfit plates thinner than the heavier ones or all the same thickness?

no idea, depends on the brand the crossfit gym buys i suppose...? if u have a bar full of plates which only totals 40kg and it makes the lifter feel better about themselves then it can only be a positive cant it? i dont see anything negative in that... anyway the point of crossfit isnt about just lifting as much weight as possible. its not powerlifting.

are the lighter crossfit plates thinner than the heavier ones or all the same thickness?

They are thinner. Same diameter though.

And you can find laughable PL and BB vids, so they are all useless in the greater scheme of things (except for humour).

And the OP must be useless on google, to not find out info on CF. Shit, you can find out about anything if you use 'key words' properly.

are the lighter crossfit plates thinner than the heavier ones or all the same thickness?

And you can find laughable PL and BB vids, so they are all useless in the greater scheme of things (except for humour).

And the OP must be useless on google, to not find out info on CF. Shit, you can find out about anything if you use 'key words' properly.

Easy tiger! Not useless on google was just curious and 'Auckland crossfit club'seemed like a good place to have a nosy. Don't be a dick.

hahaha :nod:

He was tryna start a shitstorm...

I'm ready and willing to get perm banned by making shit personal ITT

Why would you do something so completely out of character for you? Personal attacks from you to other members? Hard to believe cos you're normally such a voice of reason.

Whatever they've done to upset you please please think it through!! It's just the net!

$75pw for an unlimited membership at Akl CF, and like 70 if you commit to 6 months.

That is utterly crazy. I pay $4.50pw for a gym with the same equipment. Someone is making money.

BTW, I got challenged to try Grace...30 reps clean and jerk with 62kg. May do after NZSM. Show my intense lack of cardio.

$75pw for an unlimited membership at Akl CF, and like 70 if you commit to 6 months.

That is utterly crazy. I pay $4.50pw for a gym with the same equipment. Someone is making money.

BTW, I got challenged to try Grace...30 reps clean and jerk with 62kg. May do after NZSM. Show my intense lack of cardio.

lol bro you cant compare crossfit auckland and its services to gilles ave gym. im sure crossfit auckland has alot more equiptment for crossfit purposes that gilles doesnt have.

crossfit has been marketed so well... the people behind it all are fucking genius'... taking something that already existed, calling it something else and making tens of millions of dollars. people are suckers for marketing and are like sheep... if you sat 100 people down for an hour who are into the crossfit craze and getting results and told them ur gym is just the same but for $4.50 a week, i guarantee you none of them would be interested.

if you price your gym cheap people automatically think its shit... same goes for any product or service, make it expensive well it must be good!

and thats hardly a challenge for you 30 x 62kg clean and jerk lol i can do that u should be making it 106.2kg lol

But that cost, though high, is comparable to spending it in a night on the booze. It depends what you want to get out of your week.

If you want a similar yet more exciting challenge, visit Joe @ Ludus Magnus in Akl. http://www.ludusmagnus.co.nz

You get the best of both worlds there, and the intensity never lets up. Affordable too.