How to work out your MACROS and calorie requirements.

JOSEF RAKICH

STEP 1

Work out your maitenance calorie level.

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

STEP 2

If your bulking +500 calories onto your maitenance calorie level

If your cutting -500 calories onto your maitenance calorie level

This is the amount of calories you need per day for your goals.

The 500 surplus or 500 deficit is just a recomendation, its not a rule. You can have a bigger surplus or a greater deficit if you wish.

STEP 3

Work out a good macronutrient split of protein, carbohydrates and fats.

NEVER go by percentages.

Here is some good 'recomendations' to follow.

- Your bodyweight in pounds x 1.2-1.5 = Protein per day

- Your bodyweight in pounds x 0.45+ = Fat per day

(your bodyweight in kgs x 2.2 = how much you weigh in pounds)

- Fill the remaining calories up with carbs.

There is 4 calories per gram of protein and 9 calories per gram of fat, work out how much calories in total your protein and fat intake equals to.

Once you have this number you then subtract that number from the total amount of calories you need per day (depending on your goals)

The number of calories left is how much calories from carbs you should have in your diet per day. Divide that number by 4 as there is 4 calories per 1g of carbohydrate. This will equal to the amount of carbs to consume per day.

You now have a good macros split to follow, you can meet these requirements from any foods you wish.. Chicken, tuna, steak, oats, bananas, rice, almonds, peanuts, donuts, ice cream, lollies, cake.. Whatever, as long as it fits your daily macros and calorie requirements.

IF ANYONE NEEDS ANY FURTHER HELP OR HAS ANY QUESTIONS REGARDING TRAINING, NUTRITION OR SUPPLEMENTATION JUST VISIT MY FACEBOOK FITNESS PAGE AND ASK AWAY

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Josef-Rakich-Fitness/118339324905728

So for an example im 80kgs which is 176lbs. (lol do i even lift?)

Say for example my maitenance calorie intake is 3000 calories.

3000 maitenance calories + 500 calories = 3500 (this is amount of calories i need to bulk)

176lbs x 1.5g = 264g protein (per day)

176lbs x 0.45g =79g fat (per day)

264g protein x 4 = 1056 (because there is 4 calories per 1 gram of protein)

79g fat x 9 = 711 (because there is 9 calories per 1 gram of fat)

1056 calories + 711 calories = 1767 calories of protein and fat

3500 total calories - 1767 = 1733 calories remanining.

1733 remanining calories ÷ 4 (because there is 4 calories per 1 gram of carbohydrate) = 433g carbohydrates.

So total macros for a 3500 calorie diet:

Protein = 264g

Carbohydrates = 433g

Fats = 79g

Again you dont have to follow these, they are just recomendations or guidelines of a good macros split. You can aim for 1.8g protein per pound of bodyweight if you wish, or 0.6g of fat per pound of bodyweight. What i listed are just recomendations.

do you do cardio at all rakich?

Nope i dont do any cardio at all, i just cut using a calorie deficit diet.

Cardio isnt needed. But yes cardio is a usefull tool in burning calories and the more calories you burn the greater calorie deficit you will be in whcih means the more fat you will lose. So cardio is good, but you dont HAVE to do it to get shredded. I just personally cant be bothered with it and dont have time, so i just eat a greater calorie deficit to make up for it.

good explanation. dunno if i can be fucked counting calories/macros precisely when im not cutting though.

also what would a disadvantage be if you ate like 100g extra protein instead of 100g of carbs, (aside from the fact that protein is more expensive than carbs)?

Yeah that's a standard calorie deficit program people use pre-contest as well.

Generally people would stay on the 500-less calorie diet for around a week, then based on a fat test consider making a change to increase or decrease the calories to keep losing.

Because maintenance level calories fluctuates so 500-less this week might be 500-over next week if your body slows down due to low carbs if you haven't had a re-feed.

Especially if you've bulked up to a good level of fat, there's alot fluctuation in calorie demand as the fat drops off.

nicely put tho Josef

Question.

When you are cutting for instance (The same for bulking I imagine), when do you adjust meals?

Let's say your start weight is 85, and you cutting down. This would mean a 2200 Kcal diet to cut down (Give or take). Let's say in 4 weeks time you are down to 80 kg for instance, do you then re-adjust the cals to 2100 or so?

I guess the 100 cals won't really matter, but just wondering.

its a precise science, cant just use guesswork or interpolation if you want a cutting edge physique. you need to invest in some mathematical knowledge.

the situation you have is that you are a specific instantaneous weight, W, and your instantaneous daily energy requirements, E, are a function of this weight such that

E = f(W)

instantaneous weight is a function of energy intake such that

W = g(E)

by substitution

E = f(g(E))

obviously from this it is apparent that the function f is the inverse of the function g.

hope this helps.

but seriously if you want to do it to sufficient accuracy enter body-weights at a particular interval on that site's calculator ie go 75, 76....85kg and graph the energy requirements for these weights against these weights and adjust it accordingly as your weight changes.

obviously this method is only accurate if the online calculator is accurate compared to your specific energy needs, and your set of scales are accurate.

in terms of the online calculator you would have to f*ck it up pretty badly to calculate your bulking energy needs at an energy deficit or your cutting needs at a surplus. provided you don't do that you should be fine, however any error could result in sub-optimal weight gain/loss

E = f(W)

W = g(E)

by substitution

E = f(g(E))

obviously from this it is apparent that the function f is the inverse of the function g.

you just educated us in how to completely f*ck up a good informative post

E = f(W)

W = g(E)

by substitution

E = f(g(E))

you just educated us in how to completely f*ck up a good informative post

relax. the rest (stuff u didnt quote) of what i posted was serious

LOL - great thread, nice combination of sound advice from JR and Android, plus some humour, esp for those who missed out on Maths at NCEA level 1 :D

My 2c worth... the best macros for any individual will be the best ones for them - slavishly assuming that what's in a book is holy writ is a recipe for disaster, because each body mass, metabolic competence (how well it can process food) and composition, and each daily activity pattern will have impacts.

So, start somewhere, stick to the diet, observe and adjust accordingly.

good explanation. dunno if i can be fucked counting calories/macros precisely when im not cutting though.

also what would a disadvantage be if you ate like 100g extra protein instead of 100g of carbs, (aside from the fact that protein is more expensive than carbs)?

Once protein and fat requirements are met there is no benifits in taking any more, so it onyl makes sence to get the rest of your calories from carbs as they are a good source of energy.

Question.

When you are cutting for instance (The same for bulking I imagine), when do you adjust meals?

Let's say your start weight is 85, and you cutting down. This would mean a 2200 Kcal diet to cut down (Give or take). Let's say in 4 weeks time you are down to 80 kg for instance, do you then re-adjust the cals to 2100 or so?

I guess the 100 cals won't really matter, but just wondering.

100 or so calories wont matter too much, but yes as you drop weight, you will need to also drop calories.

LOL - great thread, nice combination of sound advice from JR and Android, plus some humour, esp for those who missed out on Maths at NCEA level 1 :D

My 2c worth... the best macros for any individual will be the best ones for them - slavishly assuming that what's in a book is holy writ is a recipe for disaster, because each body mass, metabolic competence (how well it can process food) and composition, and each daily activity pattern will have impacts.

So, start somewhere, stick to the diet, observe and adjust accordingly.

I failed maths NCEA level 1. Infact i failed the whole NCEA level 1. Lmao serious..