What's in my protein?

FellowshipOfTheRon

:x Picked up some WPC for reasonably cheap but when I open it up, I see lots of these white things inside, looks sort of like plastic pieces seems like a random thing to find in protein powder.

Pic :

240x3k7.jpg

Any ideas on what it could be? Do you think its safe to consume? If I drink it will I turn into some kind of monster?

Also, the protein is "Musashi EVD Everyday Protein" - got it on clearance sale, expires 10th June 2012... don't think this could be the problem since still few months away!

Ingredients so people might be able to narrow down what it is (?) :

Instantised Whey Protein Concentrate (Milk), Cocoa Powder (4.5%), Amino Acid Blend (L-Lysine, L-Leucine, L-Hisitidine, L-Arginine, L-Isoleucine, L-Valine, Glycine, L-Tyrosine, L-Threonine, L-Methionine), Flavour, Vegetable Gums (415,412), Sweetener (955).

Contains Milk.

:x Picked up some WPC for reasonably cheap but when I open it up, I see lots of these white things inside, looks sort of like plastic pieces seems like a random thing to find in protein powder.

Pic :

240x3k7.jpg

Any ideas on what it could be? Do you think its safe to consume? If I drink it will I turn into some kind of monster?

Also, the protein is "Musashi EVD Everyday Protein" - got it on clearance sale, expires 10th June 2012... don't think this could be the problem since still few months away!

Ingredients so people might be able to narrow down what it is (?) :

Instantised Whey Protein Concentrate (Milk), Cocoa Powder (4.5%), Amino Acid Blend (L-Lysine, L-Leucine, L-Hisitidine, L-Arginine, L-Isoleucine, L-Valine, Glycine, L-Tyrosine, L-Threonine, L-Methionine), Flavour, Vegetable Gums (415,412), Sweetener (955).

Contains Milk.

Protein can take the form of a "plastic film". You often see it if you dont rinse your shaker straight away and the "plastic" can form around the lid and thread.

It needs water to do this however. Perhaps the machine they used to spray dry the whey isn't amazing and allows this to happen?

Can you isolate some specks? See if they dissolve. Even taste a few?

Protein can take the form of a "plastic film". You often see it if you dont rinse your shaker straight away and the "plastic" can form around the lid and thread.

It needs water to do this however. Perhaps the machine they used to spray dry the whey isn't amazing and allows this to happen?

Can you isolate some specks? See if they dissolve. Even taste a few?

ahh thanks for that. if it is protein in plastic film form, will it still provide the same nutritional value?

any advice on how i could go about trying to isolate the little bits (besides picking out one at a time with pliers - though i will do that eventually if i have to haha)?

after original post, i was feeling a bit curious and decided to go ahead & taste it. had it with milk though so couldnt see much. as far as i could tell, everything dissolved nicely and in the end there was no junk left in my shaker though it did taste a bit wierd (could just be placebo effect or even im spoiled by myofusion)

will try another shake in water after gym later on tonight & report back

You could put through a fine sieve maybe? Otherwise have to pick some out by hand. once you have a little collection, put them on your tongue and see what happens lol (do they dissolve, do they taste weird, do you die, etc) :pfft:

woah.gif

oh lord... i will have to prepare myself for this experiment :pray:

damn dude you gonna dead

still alive 8)

just had another 2 servings of this with water for post workout... dam it tastes wierd as hell i guess the milk / other stuff i had with the previous servings were just masking the taste. will try contact the dealer to see whats up :S hope its not gone off already :pray:

I also got some Musashi EVD Everyday Protein a month or so ago and it has the same white stuff in it.

I just assumed it was some form of creatine, lol it's good that your vigilant though.

thought it was creatine at the start too but the ingredients label doesn't mention anything about that :(

oh well that's definitely reassuring to see that you are still alive after a month of this stuff!

have you had much problems so far? and was yours also on that clearance deal where its few months away from expiring or was it a pretty new one(just trying to figure out if problem is related to aging stock or if its normal for the entire range)?

and nice username

nah I don't think it was clearance? just a special? my expiry dates the same as yours though!

cheers, I think some people thought my password would be password LOL and hence I always have to enter the two words for the maximum number of log in attempts.

Pseudonym is that correct? or have I just logged in too many times and the system wants me to click "stay logged in"

nah I don't think it was clearance? just a special? my expiry dates the same as yours though!

cheers, I think some people thought my password would be password LOL and hence I always have to enter the two words for the maximum number of log in attempts.

Pseudonym is that correct? or have I just logged in too many times and the system wants me to click "stay logged in"

lol makes sense right? username username, profile picture is image saying 'picture' why isn't the password set to password??? :doh:

Melamine?

The Chinese added it to baby milk to trick the protein analysis as it raises nitrogen levels.

Not in Australia though, surely.

Maybe a moisture absorber got broken into it?

For peace of mind, you should email that photo to Musashi.

http://www.musashi.com.au/contact-us

rofl hope its neither melamine nor that moisture absorber stuff (would be poisonous wouldn't it?)

thanks for the link though, have sent through an email with pics. hopefully we will find out what it is soon enough.

OP did you died?

Pls respond.

I had this in one of my powders before, I drank it and I'm sweet.

u r 1 cheeky kangaroo m8

one of my protein powders had this, I can't remember the brand or flavor but I drank it and I am still alive

ok cool also found online someone had it in their ON 100% whey, no fatalities from it but he never got an answer on what it was nor if it was still nutritional or would slow absorption etc.

Ron, my guess is that the raw whey protein probably got wet and solidified, then broke up into those tiny chunks when the cocoa was mixed in. So not good manufacturing, but it probably won't kill you. Having said that, if it tastes nasty as well, then perhaps there's something else going on.

Definitely contact Musashi and let us know what they say.