Muscle health question.

Yenegh

stats: 68.8 kilos(down from 94 kilos over 8 years :wink: ), 28.8 bodyfat(down from 38.8 over 8 years 8) ), 52.2 water, 23.4 BMI

So I am focusing on muscle development now... it has been a long road.

My calves feel real good they burn easy when I am exercising them and I can easily make a mind muscle connection so am all good there... :)

My quads Hams and gluts are difficult to connect with when I am lifting and doing cardio. I can't really see much development too... :roll:

I am suspecting that the years of them being covered with fat and cellulite (still have that stuff too hate it so much :( )might have deteriorated them somewhat :shifty: . So my question is does muscle quality suffer because of fat and cellulite and do other people have these issues too...?

Any remedies other than regular massage and recovery rest etc... :) ?

No, muscle responds to resistance. They would deteriorate from years of being lazy. The fact that you were overweight would build them up because they have to put up more resistance to fight gravity. The other thing is it's harder to build muscle for a girl so gains might not be visual. I'm not really sure about the mind muscle stuff? Are you taking the piss there?

not sure what you mean by muscle quality, perhaps visibility/definition? if so, yes when its all covered up no one can tell how great it is

... or do you mean quality as in ability to 'connect' with the muscle? i reckon once you start weight training you will be able to truly start working on the mind muscle connection

No, muscle responds to resistance. They would deteriorate from years of being lazy. The fact that you were overweight would build them up because they have to put up more resistance to fight gravity. The other thing is it's harder to build muscle for a girl so gains might not be visual. I'm not really sure about the mind muscle stuff? Are you taking the piss there?

Na mate not taking the piss...

It just means when you are doing a particular exercise and you concentrate on the movement you can see the muscle work and feel the burn when you reach a certain amount of reps...

Now when I do hamstring curls (on the machine and with the Swiss ball on a mat)... I am lying there hoping to feel the burn in my hamstrings right?.... :-s but instead I feel my calves leading the show instead followed by my shines and my knees hurting... I can finish up to about 15 reps on about 36kgs(machine) for 4 sets without feeling my hamstrings and gluts even budge... :cry: when i increase the weight to increase the resistance I get no joy... just more pain in the same order as before... I know it is crazy but could it be that my hamstrings are just so dead after being covered in so much fat for so long??? I donno... runnin out of ideas on hamstrings...

not sure what you mean by muscle quality, perhaps visibility/definition? if so, yes when its all covered up no one can tell how great it is

... or do you mean quality as in ability to 'connect' with the muscle? i reckon once you start weight training you will be able to truly start working on the mind muscle connection

you understand what I mean on both counts... I have never seen my hamstrings even after any kind of exercise and flexing... can't see them... can't feel them... so I am basically working in the dark.... I can flex my gluts and see them move underneath the fat.... but no hams anywhere... so i donno what kind of state they are in at all... :shifty:

I guess like u said it is a wait and see game...

you understand what I mean on both counts... I have never seen my hamstrings even after any kind of exercise and flexing... can't see them... can't feel them... so I am basically working in the dark.... I can flex my gluts and see them move underneath the fat.... but no hams anywhere... so i donno what kind of state they are in at all... :shifty:

I guess like u said it is a wait and see game...

to be honest i cant see mine yet either currently at ~16% but i wasn't doing enough direct training on them.. recently began on deadlifting and deeper squats, now i can at least feel them which i guess is how it begins (eg can tense the muscle and feel it there)

which exercises have you tried for the hamstrings?

On leg days \:D/ I start with at 15 min cardio warm up then do hamstring curls, leg press, hip abductor and adductor and dumbbell squats finishing with 30 interval training cardio... The reps are usually 10 to 15reps at 4 to 5 sets... but on leg days I usually am in the gym for 2 to three hours cause I recycle sets to improve form and perform reps a lot better.

Only obstacle is I have a wondering knee from long distance running from a few years back which makes doing squats a bit of a interesting experience but I do them anyway... I would very much prefer using a hack squat machine but my gym (Burn 24hr fitness in Takapuna) does not have one... :roll:

Reminds me of when I started out and for years I had no Hammies.

There was no mind-muscle connection because there was no substantial muscle in my case. As I just kept at it and the muscle grew that's when I could feel it pump up in the gym and make that connection with it again.

Like you say your calves you can feel, you can feel the blood pumping into them as they work.

Might be a smilar thing here?

Notice you're only doing leg curls for Hammies, de'ja vu again. This exercise just shortens the Hammy, the Hammy has multiple muscles and you might jsut be working the one that bends the knee...reckon will see way more growth if you include stiff-legged deadlifts and lunges. These will stretch and work the Hammy the bends at the hip, this is what will give you a noticeable Hamstring...imo

Reminds me of when I started out and for years I had no Hammies.

There was no mind-muscle connection because there was no substantial muscle in my case. As I just kept at it and the muscle grew that's when I could feel it pump up in the gym and make that connection with it again.

Like you say your calves you can feel, you can feel the blood pumping into them as they work.

Might be a smilar thing here?

Notice you're only doing leg curls for Hammies, de'ja vu again. This exercise just shortens the Hammy, the Hammy has multiple muscles and you might jsut be working the one that bends the knee...reckon will see way more growth if you include stiff-legged deadlifts and lunges. These will stretch and work the Hammy the bends at the hip, this is what will give you a noticeable Hamstring...imo

That is awesome advice... I will certainly do that... thanks :)