Is spin class cardio catabolic?

tomsammce

Did spin class at my gym this morning... U all probably think that's gay...

Meh, if it's good enough for Hosea Gear and the Sth African rugby team, who I've seen doing it at my gym, then it's all good :nod:

No idea about if it's any good for BB-ing or not though, so I'll leave the rest of you to nut it out between yourselves.

Thats all good Chillicat, but thats exactly what I was referring to!! You've seen the rugby team do it so its gotta be good! Are you a high level rugby player? or even do they do it regularly?

In this case I think it would be allright for you but far too many people do somthing because so and so does it and then go and do somthing else cuz someone else did that!

Yeah, all good, but my reference was to Tom's comment about it being 'gay' (which I made clear by quoting only that bit), not to whether or not it's good for BB-ing (which is why I said I don't know anything about that).

I'm saying that only that it's not 'gay' because of my reasons, nothing more, nothing less. Not that it's good or bad for BB-ing or anything else. Get me?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ummmm - if you look at the quads of track cyclists, there's some evidence that high-intensity short duration activity on a bike isn't catabolic.

Bobsta's right to put it into the context of the bigger picture - the point about being too shagged to then do weights is valid. But of course, who does cardio before weights anyway :grin:

Confusing the issue by debating whether spin gets you lean (supports fat loss) isn't the same thing as whether it's catabolic (destroys lean muscle mass).

A spin class, run properly with no relaxing, is effectively a low-impact, high-intensity cardio class. They're deliberately scripted to work your cv system from low intensity thru to bucket time - but everything I've read, and my own experience, suggests there's nothing inherent in a spin class that makes it more catabolic than any HIIT.

Whether HIIT's catabolic is still being debated, and I suspect that results will vary depending on individual metabolism, diet, macros and meal timings.

It's all relative CC, it's all relative :grin:

I MUST get down to TCF for a spin class.. see if I can gauge the catabolic effects for myself :pfft:

Yep, relative!

Come on a Wednesday lunch if you can - the French girl Cathy is the best of the lunchtime spin instructors - she's all 'allez allez' and very motivating :nod:

The more cardio you do or the higher the intensity the fitter you get, the fitter you get the more you have to do to get the same job done when it comes to fat loss!! A very unfit might burn 200 calories just walking from the front porch to the car :pfft: but the fitter he/she gets the calories they will burn doing the same activity hence needing to increase duration or intensity.

Is there truth to this? I would have thought that fitness wouldn't affect your BMR. You're still burning the same amount of energy in day-to-day activity (assuming bodyweight is the same) as you're moving the same amount of mass and body temp is always self regulated. The main difference is your heartrate will be lower, but that is only because your heart is contracting less frequently and more forcefully, but still doing the same job, right?

I think Bobsta might be referring to an increase in efficiency? The fitter you get, the more efficient the muscles are at doing work. Also, the more you do a given activity, the more coordinated you become with that specific activity. Take two identical people; height, weight, limb lengths, fitness etc. But person A has become fit through cycling, person B has become fit through running. Make A run and B cycle and they'll be using more energy to perform the same work output via the unfamilar activity versus the familiar activity simply due to inefficient bio-mechanics.

The more cardio you do or the higher the intensity the fitter you get, the fitter you get the more you have to do to get the same job done when it comes to fat loss!! A very unfit might burn 200 calories just walking from the front porch to the car :pfft: but the fitter he/she gets the calories they will burn doing the same activity hence needing to increase duration or intensity.

Is there truth to this? I would have thought that fitness wouldn't affect your BMR. You're still burning the same amount of energy in day-to-day activity (assuming bodyweight is the same) as you're moving the same amount of mass and body temp is always self regulated. The main difference is your heartrate will be lower, but that is only because your heart is contracting less frequently and more forcefully, but still doing the same job, right?

I think Bobsta might be referring to an increase in efficiency? The fitter you get, the more efficient the muscles are at doing work. Also, the more you do a given activity, the more coordinated you become with that specific activity. Take two identical people; height, weight, limb lengths, fitness etc. But person A has become fit through cycling, person B has become fit through running. Make A run and B cycle and they'll be using more energy to perform the same work output via the unfamilar activity versus the familiar activity simply due to inefficient bio-mechanics.

Agree with you, but I don't think it has much application with what Bobsta is saying. Avoiding getting fit vs. avoiding getting efficient at some repetitive exercise. A simple solution would be increase the work you're doing to counter-act this effect or just do something completely different?

Thats a great point Mike and thanks for clearing that up Phedder. Sometimes I forget there are some real on to it people on here and I dont need to simplify things too much.

Meh, if it's good enough for Hosea Gear and the Sth African rugby team, who I've seen doing it at my gym, then it's all good :nod:

No idea about if it's any good for BB-ing or not though, so I'll leave the rest of you to nut it out between yourselves.

Thats all good Chillicat, but thats exactly what I was referring to!! You've seen the rugby team do it so its gotta be good! Are you a high level rugby player? or even do they do it regularly?

In this case I think it would be allright for you but far too many people do somthing because so and so does it and then go and do somthing else cuz someone else did that!

Yeah, all good, but my reference was to Tom's comment about it being 'gay' (which I made clear by quoting only that bit), not to whether or not it's good for BB-ing (which is why I said I don't know anything about that).

I'm saying that only that it's not 'gay' because of my reasons, nothing more, nothing less. Not that it's good or bad for BB-ing or anything else. Get me?

Yup got ya. Its not gay :nod:

And infact even for bodybuilders I think it has its place if used in the right context.

Bodybuilders & athletes in general need to use nutrition to drive body composition, not training.

The use of protein or carbs, fasted am or pm cardio, high intensity or low intensity, heavy lifting or high reps, body type, drugs or how much sex you have does not result in super fat loss or muscle preservation. Its how they all fit together for a particular individual that does it, but ultimately it is down to what you put into your mouth. 8)

In answer to Toms question which wasn't whether it was catabolic or not ... Spin class or boxing now and then are ok, but not for primary fat loss pre-comp.

It burns way more calories than the slower cardio we do, but if I want to burn calories I'm better off eating less of them tbh, as musclenz it's diet.

Slower cardio burns more fat calories tho, and this is great for pre-comp for obvious reasons.

Slow steady cardio is also what most if not all top bodybuilders do, so it affirms my choice.

But again, why not attend a spin class could b a great way to shake the body up don't think it'll b that catabolic at all cyclists have pretty decent quads

Just for the record the only cardio i done all last year was walk the dog thats right walk not jog not run walk and have done test on my heart at the hospital lately they said i was the most fit and healthy heart they has seen in ages.

you want a fucking medal bro?

That's an amazing feat and measure of health being told by a hospital you have one of the healthiest hearts they have seen.... I don't imagine ppl with healthy hearts go to hospitals for tests on their hearts.

Have to say tom your really do come across as real know it all prick, who cant take advice from people that even know what they are talking about, dont know pete s but agree with him to much cardio is catabolic infact if you need to do all that cardio then your diet is shit, so i say no more advice for tom let him do it his own way cause tom knows best good luck to you.

if you know a little your a dumbarse, if you know alot your a smartarse? Lol

if someone told you high rep leg press was a form of cardio would you shrink...

[MOD EDIT: No inflammatory comments, please.]

Just for the record the only cardio i done all last year was walk the dog thats right walk not jog not run walk and have done test on my heart at the hospital lately they said i was the most fit and healthy heart they has seen in ages.

you want a fucking medal bro?

That's an amazing feat and measure of health being told by a hospital you have one of the healthiest hearts they have seen.... I don't imagine ppl with healthy hearts go to hospitals for tests on their hearts.

nxkih3.jpg.gif

Have to say tom your really do come across as real know it all prick, who cant take advice from people that even know what they are talking about, dont know pete s but agree with him to much cardio is catabolic infact if you need to do all that cardio then your diet is shit, so i say no more advice for tom let him do it his own way cause tom knows best good luck to you.

If this is Edwin then /thread.

Edwin :?

Edwin :?

Yes.. Is eddie = edwin?

why would it be /thread?

What I said was correct... And he is simply incorrect in saying cardio is catabolic. How can it be catabolic if you are fueling yourself properly for the task you are doing...

If I told you high rep leg press was infact a type of cardio would you all say that is catabolic.

And gtfo just because someone has a big bodybuilder physique doesn't automatically mean they know what they are talking about... All it means is they take lots of steroids, train hard, eat well and have good genetics and are most probably fucked health wise.

Look at vader69... He doesn't know jack shit but looks mean.

What's worse us if your like Calvin... Look like shit and don't know anything.

• 2 months later...