How can i get out of my les mills membership!!??

alssa653

Hey guys

I signed up to les mills last year down in dunedin, this year however i have a very full on year with uni so i need to be studying alot, i want to go to another gym closer to my house opposed to les mills which is quite a while away (uni gym which is also free)

I dont know how to get out of my les mills membership! it will cost 280 to cancel! which is heaps and apparently i can't transfer to a friend or even sell on trade me because its a 1 year contract, it needs to be a 3 year contract..which is b.s if you ask me

Any advice??

You can upgrade to 3 year membership and then give it to someone. but I think it costs money to transfer it to someone else?? maybe 100 dollars. I'd only do this if you had someone lined up tbh....

Other advice would be... Suck it up and use this as an excuse to make time for the gym... you never know it could help with your study/stress.

When I was at college I worked 12 hour days at college/library studying then would go to the gym for an hour or less, wasnt very productive gym wise but it helped me focus and be more productive when I got home. I found if I didnt go I just went home and vegged out and didnt get anything done, going to the gym gave me time away to myself to reflect on stuff and would get me all pumped and endorphined to get my shit done when I got home.

Hey guys

I signed up to les mills last year down in dunedin, this year however i have a very full on year with uni so i need to be studying alot, i want to go to another gym closer to my house opposed to les mills which is quite a while away (uni gym which is also free)

I dont know how to get out of my les mills membership! it will cost 280 to cancel! which is heaps and apparently i can't transfer to a friend or even sell on trade me because its a 1 year contract, it needs to be a 3 year contract..which is b.s if you ask me

Any advice??

Tell them your suffering severe depression and are un-able to train.

Best bet is chronic fatigue system, and if that fails tell them you are in the final stages of HIV and also have a condition where you bleed through your pores at random.

Seriously though, the contract is flawed and they cannot legally bind you as it's not a physical purchase or product which you have taken owner ship with.

Read your contract, 99.9 percent of people dont.

Contracts for gym's are NOT legal documents.

Legal documents are documents signed in the presence of a legal representative.

Contracts for gym's are NOT legal documents.

Legal documents are documents signed in the presence of a legal representative.

Oh god....that is complete bs. Yes - contracts for gym's are legal documents.

No - legal documents do not need to be signed in the presence of a legal representative.

A contract is simply an agreement made by two people over something. To make it binding all it needs to be is agreeable, an exchange of something (i.e. use of gym), and a time limit. It can be verbal of written.

However; companies often include parts that, although are written and signed by both parties, are not practically or legally enforceable (happens more than you might think). An example; microsoft make you enter into a contract with them when you use windows. It states that you're liable under washington state law for any disputes. That's nice in theory, but not enforceable.

As for your problem...

You have a couple of options the way I see it...

1. Write in and say that you were misled by the contract or salesperson when you signed the contract. You could have been misled by any of the terms and conditions...cost, even the gym itself. It may not be clean enough etc. Basically complain that they haven't provided you with the service they promised they would. Demand termination of the contract.

2. Use the doctor idea.

3. Ask nicely. Write to somebody higher up. Say that you over estimated how much disposable income you have and you signed up a bit prematurely. Explain you don’t want to default on your payments but you really can’t afford it at all this year. Ask them if they can be nice about it and cancel it. Who knows it might go to somebody nice and you might get lucky.

4. Get them to terminate your contract. Become a pain for them. Literally tell them that you if they don’t terminate it, then you’re going to become a pain. Write into newspapers, put up posters, post on other forums and stand outside with a sign explaining what happened to warn others off (just stating facts of course). Find a way to be a hassle. They’ll probably be glad to get rid of you.

But then you could be like "I didnt get the service I expected"

Hmmm I don't think so. Without any attempt to contact the gym about their service I think you would be found in breach of contract and therefore liable for the fees. Personally, I think you'd be best to contact them first before you just cut off your payment. Then you can at least claim you were trying to uphold your end of the contract.

You could try talking to them. Explain your problem to the manager and why you are unable to find time to travel that far to the gym. He may be having a high estrogen day and feel your problem thus releasing you from your contract. Then again he may go in to a testosterone fueled rage bodyslamming you accross his desk. Either way its worth trying.

Best bet would be to just say you weren't made aware that you couldn't transfer it due to the contract time, and that a change in circumstances mean you can no no longer meet the payments.. If you ask really nicely they might let you transfer it on..

A gym I worked in had non-transferrable memberships, but in the end it meant the owner just had to cancel them at her discretion, if people lost their job or something. Totally do-able :)