Mossley

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks guys and gals!

I meant to say in my first post, that if anyone has any ideas on leg exercises please let me know. I'm definitely going to go hard for the next 5 - 6 weeks on legs and get them defined. I actually found when I stopped running I lost some definition, particularly in my hammies.

PT told me that power walking would be better for definition but I've actually added in a couple of runs a week instead now to help them out.

I'm off to post in the journal now.......

Hi there

You're upper back is looking really good as are those abs!! keep up the good work!!!

For your legs I would recommend heaps of power walks especially hill walks!! Living of Wellington you shouldn't have too much trouble finding them!! Also walking lunges, hill lunges, walking up steps should all help harden up your legs!! Running usually tends to bring legs down in size but doesn't harden them up - of course this all depends on the person!

Thanks heaps. That makes sense. I'd like to bring my legs down a bit so I'll keep the running in , but add in heaps more stepper. I do walking lunges but I might try adding in a 'step-up' exercise aswell. Maybe super set them.

I live out in Upper Hutt, which is in the valley and doesn't have too many hills, but I've started walking twice a week in my lunchbreaks (when I'm not doing abs) up the hills of Wellington, so this should make a difference.

Thanks for the advice!

stepper is great for the glutes, make sure uyou stand upright i.e don't lean over the machine to make it easier cos it won't target the glutes as much. Also take bigger steps rather than little small ones as it works the glutes harder!! have fun cos those exercises are not the funnest!!!

Looking good, Mossley!

I've resized your first two pics for you so they should be easier to see now. (I'm trying to install a thumbnail function for the board, but it's not quite there yet.)

The only comment I'd add to the others' is when you do your double bicep poses (front and back), try to focus on spreading the lats nice and wide... Think about lifting your chest up, and pushing your shoulders forward (but without rolling them in).

Otherwise, as I say, everything looks good.

8)

To add to that comment I always found that it helped when doing front and rear poses to hold your hands as though you were holding a crown above your head

Good thinking, that's something I never really thought of. I'll give it a go tonight. Also after looking at the poses, I need to straighten up a bit on the side pose I think.

On the subject of legs, it may be that you are overtraining them. A strategy to test this would be to avoid any cardio that puts much stress on the legs and just do deep squats and sldls for them, maybe once a week. BTW, very nice upper back development.

This is definitely possible as I've always done heaps of cardio so I'll try sticking to other forms and see what they look like in two weeks time.

Definately agree with you on the full rom squats. I think people dont use full rom because it will require them to decrease the weight they can use.

Sorry for the ignorance, but what is a full rom squat? Is there a pic of it anywhere so I can get the form right?

I've just started again with the sldl and I'm definitely feeling it today!

whats sldl?? full rom squats are squats where you just go lower than usual Ie instead of going until thighs are parallel to the ground go lower, However if you have bad knees I wouldn't recommend doing full rom squats as it increases the stress (load) on your patella tendon

I took sldl to mean Straight Leg Deadlifts or Stiff Leg deadlifts so please correct me if I'm wrong?

Would the bent leg work my lower back aswell? Just trying to think of things to get some definition around the hip area (once the fat starts coming off!)

I do have one bad knee (bit of a cartilage problem) that plays up if I do lunges on the smith machine but is fine if I'm doing walking lunges. I'll still give these full rom squats a go and see how I go.

yep the deadlifts with bent legs (proper ones) work your lower back. You could also try back extensions holding onto a db for extra resitance. Be careful to use absolutely perfect form with those deadlifts otherwise you'l injure your back!!! so start off with light weight and onlly increase when your technique is perfect! When doing bldl try and keep your back straighish, shoulders back and think of mimicing the movement that you would do if you were bending down to pick something off the floor

yeah i do i'll bring them in tomorrow from home and scan them in for you. second comp was a mozza injured myself (the old hip injury that still has not come right) and started putting on fat instead of losing it. Was infigure tall both times, placed 3rd and 2nd at south island champs. the girls that one both times went on to place at the nationals, so not too bad of an effort you're looking good you'll get there i was nowhere near that defined 11 weeks out from my first comp. and never found my abs, they were my last thing to come!!! so you are definitely on the right track, just need to be patient and don't change too many things at once