Re:SOPA PIPA, thoughts?

tomleegolf

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

":9mbtrwfe]not trying to justify it, dont care if i hurt the music/movie/software industry.

in this case i dont think i am though...really dont see what the difference for the developers is if:

A) i dont buy their software.

ie they get $0.00 from me

B) I dont buy their software but download pirated version.

and if i could get away with stealing a ferrari then i would do it. i do not consider this to be 'wrong'. i think it is more wrong that someone has enough wealth to waste it on something as unnecessary as a ferrari.

the only thing stopping me is the likelyhood of getting caught and the subsequent consequences.

I would have hoped someone with 10k worth of math software was a little smarter than this.

":1a5ak2eo]
":1a5ak2eo]my point is I dont want it enough to pay $1k . Maybe if it was $30 i'd buy it but $1k, lol no.

Please explain how me pirating this software costs the company money. ie how much have i cost them? i have over $10k of pirated software, did i cost the companies $10k?

Also explain why i should care. Software developers are well aware that piracy exists yet still enter the market i.e. they still make money.

Just because you dont want to pay $1000 dosent justify making an illegal copy. That makes you a theif. If you pirate $10k worth of software then someone along the way i.e. the retailer which then goes back to the maker of the software loses money. If this wasnt the case then all software would be free. You a a thief if you illegally copy software. Justify it how ever you want that its to expensive blah blah blah.

not trying to justify it, dont care if i hurt the music/movie/software industry.

in this case i dont think i am though...really dont see what the difference for the developers is if:

A) i dont buy their software. you dont use it for free

ie they get $0.00 from me you do use it for free, when to use it legally you should have paid

and if i could get away with stealing a ferrari then i would do it. i do not consider this to be 'wrong'. i think it is more wrong that someone has enough wealth to waste it on something as unnecessary as a ferrari.

the only thing stopping me is the likelyhood of getting caught and the subsequent consequences.

Sounds like you need to go protest at your local park, wrong that someone has wealth to spend on a ferrari :roll:

":2c1erjt7]not trying to justify it, dont care if i hurt the music/movie/software industry.

I would have hoped someone with 10k worth of math software was a little smarter than this.

Like :pfft:

":1j918pac]not trying to justify it, dont care if i hurt the music/movie/software industry.

I would love to see you in court telling a judge that its not theft because you would have paid for it anyway so you decided to take it for free. Then telling the judge its just over his head.

Nice work genius :lol:

Tinguerilla nobody cares if you think they are a thief. People will pirate whatever they like regardless of what you say so why keep talking about it? You sound just like a religious person who is trying to push their views on other people who really don't care. We are discussing SOPA and PIPA not your goodie two shoes view on piracy.

I would love to see you in court telling a judge that its not theft because you would have paid for it anyway so you decided to take it for free. Then telling the judge its just over his head.

You forgot to swap accounts.

You forgot to swap accounts.

I can assure you I have the one account. As Im sure the Mods will confirm. I was expecting some bigger unavarcity words from you michael..

Tinguerilla, the topic is SOPA and PIPA.

You seem to not mind that you could now or in the future setup your blog or website and wouldn't mind it being shutdown without notice because something was posted on it without your knowledge (assuming alot here, assuming u could build a site that had millions of users). You seem fine with your business being shutdown and you, the creator of it put on trial....intredasting lol

Looks like SOPA and PIPA have been defeated anyway, seems the majority of people who understand beat the minority who didnt, sorry Tinguerilla :-)

Your misunderstanding of piracy vs theft is ignorance at its best.

Why would Canada allow piracy but not allow then to walk out of a shop with a free TV Tinguerilla??? Maybe the whole of Canada isn't as bright as you? Lolol

"Stolen" from a website....

In Canada (and many other countries), there's a levy on blank audio recording media (including CD-Rs), which goes to music companies. What the Canadian consumer gets in return is not just the legal right to copy any music he or she wants for private use (which already existed, though the music industry clearly wishes it didn't), but to do so whether or not he or she owns the original.

In Canada, it's not legal to make a copy of a CD and give it to a friend. But it is legal to give your original CD (or maybe even a copy - the law's not clear) to a friend, and let them make the copy, and then give your CD back.

This legislation doesn't apply very elegantly to P2P file sharing, but so far as it does, it says that downloading music is legal, but making music available for download isn't, because that counts as "broadcasting".

So P2P users who want to stay legal can simply "leech" - download, but not share anything.

Tinguerilla, the topic is SOPA and PIPA.

You seem to not mind that you could now or in the future setup your blog or website and wouldn't mind it being shutdown without notice because something was posted on it without your knowledge (assuming alot here, assuming u could build a site that had millions of users)Presuming you have? . You seem fine with your business being shutdown and you, the creator of it put on trial....intredasting lol :pfft:

There has to be some responsibility on the creator of a site doesnt there. If not its a case of making money with no responsibility.

Looks like SOPA and PIPA have been defeated anyway, seems the majority of people who understand beat the minority who didnt, sorry Tinguerilla :-)

Why would Canada allow piracy but not allow then to walk out of a shop with a free TV Tinguerilla??? Maybe the whole of Canada isn't as bright as you? Lolol

In Canada (and many other countries), there's a levy on blank audio recording media (including CD-Rs), which goes to music companies. What the Canadian consumer gets in return is not just the legal right to copy any music he or she wants for private use (which already existed, though the music industry clearly wishes it didn't), but to do so whether or not he or she owns the original.

In Canada, it's not legal to make a copy of a CD and give it to a friend. But it is legal to give your original CD (or maybe even a copy - the law's not clear) to a friend, and let them make the copy, and then give your CD back.

This legislation doesn't apply very elegantly to P2P file sharing, but so far as it does, it says that downloading music is legal, but making music available for download isn't, because that counts as "broadcasting".

So P2P users who want to stay legal can simply "leech" - download, but not share anything.

That is interesting about Canada. Like I said before noone one here knows the ins and outs of what Kim dotcom has been doing but its pretty fair to say its not legal.

Im becoming un-intredasted with this now as it doesnt effect me and you computer geeks seem to be able to justify what I see as theft in a dozen different ways. Its fine to justify it in a bodybuilding forum lets see if its the same if you end up in court.

Pass the bills I say the Govt needs more powers to come into your home an search your stuff. If you got nothing to hide you have nothing to fear.

Hurrah I'm a geek, yeah I get paid like one to :pfft:

You can't teach your child the ABCs using the standard rhyme, anymore. It's theft without paying royalty isn't it? Same on birthdays, user pays or your a thief?

I give up let the "people" decide. Oh wait they did with SOPA and PIPA

No-one imagines megaupload prolly did something wrong but again, and again for the slow ones, this topic was supposed to b about SOPA and PIPA my non-geek friends

Im becoming un-intredasted with this now as it doesnt effect me and you computer geeks seem to be able to justify what I see as theft in a dozen different ways. Its fine to justify it in a bodybuilding forum lets see if its the same if you end up in court.

Pass the bills I say the Govt needs more powers to come into your home an search your stuff. If you got nothing to hide you have nothing to fear.

Like I and others have said before, all you are doing is pushing your views on how you disagree with piracy, even after pointing that out numerous times, telling you to go read the law, and even putting up a basic gif a retard could understand. YOU STILL MISS THE POINT. Pass the bill, I could almost guarantee you would have some copyrighted material on your PC therefore be in breach of the law. Did you even bother to read my post about the creator and him using a copyrighted image on his Official page, which means he would be in breach of his own law.

Please go back and read it actually try and understand what it will do to the current state of the net, then reply. Until then don't bother posting because all you are doing is talking shit about how bad piracy is.

Tinguerilla, we all have our sins, and I am sure you don't want teh government/police/corporates coming into your house and finding your stash of *insert restricted activity here*.

"Thanks for allowing us to enter your home on suspected file sharing. We know you don't, but you allowed us to 'suspect' something was going on. And by the way, wtf are these for?"

It won't be long till we need tinfoil hats.

tin-foil-hat.jpg

Give the corporations time, and they will own your thoughts as well. Restricting the freedom to share files is ensuring the people stay under the protective commentary of the controllers.

The movie/music argument is a smoke screen to bigger control.

V_for_Vendetta-logo-0E1662398A-seeklogo.com.gif

Cheers for the info, didn't know that. I like the idea though and it could easily be expanded to anything with storable media is taxed, with the money going to an agency that divides the money based on how often the media is streamed, downloaded, viewed, shared, whatever. Of course in theory and reality are often completely different...

That TED talk is brilliant. I knew practically nothing about SOPA/PIPA before watching that, but it makes things very clear. And scary. :?

The whole MegaUpload case is a bit of a tangent, and not really relevant to the SOPA/PIPA debate - except, as a friend pointed out on Facebook, if MU could be caught with the existing laws, why do we need SOPA/PIPA?

Really interesting read this thread.

I like the idea that government agencies in the US like FBI know better, let's leave our decision making to a non transparent organisation that is nothing more than a tool for the government, the same government that get's funding from big business... global economics lol

...a non transparent organisation that is nothing more than a tool for the government, the same government that get's funding from big business... global economics lol

Exactly. Governments don't rule, corporations rule. Anyone who doesn't believe that is guilty of tunnel vision.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Benjamin Franklin

You reckon? Just allow the govt with no reason to invade your privacy? Not forgetting if there is a reason then law enforcement can get warrants.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Benjamin Franklin

This.

Off topic, but still an idea to be considered, is who is making these decisions 'for the greater good'?:

6:45 is the start of what I believe is the key point. Governments are puppets.

Whether we believe it or not, it is food for thought.

Here is one of images (and Johnny Cash you mofos)