Training on an empty stomach??

wahagirl

Used to struggle with this myself and much preferred lifting after lunch but seems to work for me now.

Usually just wake a 540am, fire down a strong black coffee and BCAAs and then by 6am I am in the gym. So not a totally empty stomach but close to it.

Just need to get the eats in straight away after.

Weight-training, or cardio ?

I'd defer to others who'd know better on whether it's advisable to do pre-breakfast weights work, but (you're looking to a Powerlifting comp, yes?) I would wager you'd get better results from at least getting a protein shake and some fast-acting carbs into your system before lifting heavy.

Fasted pre-breakfast cardio (I did mine on nothing more than a black coffee and an aspirin and got some good results) has been touted as a good fat-burning routine... but as with anything else, opinions vary as science, both real and "bro-science" improves.

Found this article quite interesting. So too this one

Hitro's point about getting protein and carbs in right after (as in before you leave the gym) is a good one, either way.

Early morning i always force down the carbs pre training with protein or i just cant push the the heavy lifts. Mostly for back and chest . Legs i try not to have to much food in the tank. Wish i could just get away with the shake and aminos but my metabolism is like a racehorse.

Seems that there's mixed opinions.

Yes teamfatboy, I am training for my first PL comp. So muscle/strength gain is my first priority. Fat loss is the bonus.

Might throw down a Protein shake first thing and see if there's any noticable difference :)

Here is something for u as well

http://www.leangains.com/2010/09/fasted ... ivity.html

Im a big fan of this guy .

I always have oats & a protein shake 1 hour before training,it gives you fuel to burn.

I have tried training on an empty stomic once :doh: ,never again cause i felt weak and not normal :pfft:

But training so early, i would have a protein shake at least before hand.

My 2cents

8)

i could never train getting up then and no food.

maybe a cardio session! but no weights. each to their own tho! everyone is different and you need to do what works for you :nod:

id definatly suggest a protein shake as a mininiumm tho, a banana?

might try this fasted cardio at some stage! :shifty: lol

It all depends on your goals. When I'm cutting, training weights or cardio on an empty stomach doesn't bother me one bit. I actually purposely train on an empty stomach at those times to aid the cut. As soon as the glycogen reserves are low the workout intensity takes a dive. That's okay when I'm cutting because I'm not trying to break records in the gym and I look at it is a plus because it'll aid my cut.

The story changes when I'm bulking. When I'm on a bulk, I need to have had at least one or preferably several meals before I go to the gym for a weights workout.

When bulking my workouts are really intense and I try my best every workout to break the last workout's records... I find that hard to do when training on an empty stomach.

Weigh up your goals and decide what approach is best for you at the current time would be my advice.

Everyday of my life for 10 years when i was playin rugby i was up at 5 and went to gym with no breakfast and i could be as strong then as i would be any other time of the day. I was not the only one in my team that did this. There were plenty of us.

I guess it is each to their own. In my experience however is that my body managed to adapt to what i was doing to it and thats the beautiful thing about the human body. It could adapt to whatever you want it too. Its just a matter of time and patience. But again no single person is the same and training on an empty stomach is not for everyone. But i cosider that to be a mental barrier unless u have other physical issues and the doc told you to have a breaky.

If i may and alot of you might think im a bit crazy but it helped me, is that if you are someone that trains 5.30 am in the morning and you are someone that goes to bed late too, eat them carbs before you go to bed. I found having just a high carbs cereal or porrage helps. Call it carb loading.

Anyway just an idea for those of you who are ineterested in what i have to say. Use it dont use it, dont realy give a ...

I find it pretty easy to train on nothing but stims

Wake up at 4 and have 2 scoops of pre wo stims. Drive to place of workout and suck on usually half litre of water on journey to hydrate

Hit the gym at 430 and can comfortably kill about 50 minutes.........

Last 10 mins reserved for abs or calves.........

Post Workout usually consists of 2 scoops protein and a banana.

Overall seems to work well for me....... All natural at this point in time.

I used to train at 5am for years. If I was doing cardio I would do it fasted, but weight training I would get up 15 mins earlier and eat some oats + a shake other wise I would not be able to last the distance.

I also found training at that early in the morning, whatever I had eaten the night before effected me too. So if I had had a decent dinner I would feel good if I hadn't eaten much for dinner my energy levels would be crap.