2012 #TimeToDoWork

Infinate

I'm 18 years old, been to the gym a few times before in my life, about 6' 1" and 95 kg's. I want to be one of those guys that can take their shirt off and feel comfortable. I also love basketball.

I'm fresh to this scene, completely. I would love some solid advice on workout routines, supplements and where to buy them, how to train effectively and also general advice.

I am going to take all of this seriously, because it is time to get strong, fit and good looking.

Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated, I'm fresh clay waiting to be sculpted.

Cheers heaps :)

Welcome to the forums mate, new years resolutioner aye? I'm sure we can forgive that if you stick with it and put in the effort :nod:

6'1 and 95kg, if it's not all on your gut you've probably got a pretty good frame to fill out. Make that 95kg of mostly muscle and you'd be looking great :nod:

Are you currently training at all, or wanting to get a sound program to follow before starting? Also I wouldn't bother with supplements yet until you've got your diet sorted. A protein powder for post-workout could be a good idea but wouldn't worry about anything else yet.

If you could throw up your training program (if you have one yet) a typical days food intake, and maybe a few of your best lifts to get an idea of your strength level I'm sure you'll get plenty of feedback on where you can go from here :nod:

All the best and good on you for wanting to change your life for the better, starting nice and young too :)

Was part of my resolution, but I'm committed. Thanks for the advice regarding supplements, I did some reading on other threads and I think I should get some WPI, am I right? Definitely will have a routine up within one or two weeks, would love feedback on that too. Thighs and torso, I use to play a bit of league so my thighs are still stocky just from that.

This place seems great, all levels.

Would it be better to have a 3-day full body workout and 3 day cardio regime or an area of body workout and cardio each day? I can get to the gym everyday

I think I should get some WPI, am I right?

If you're sensitive to milk products WPI would be best, otherwise WPC would be fine, and cheaper.

Would it be better to have a 3-day full body workout and 3 day cardio regime or an area of body workout and cardio each day?

I'd definitely go for the 3 day full body and 3 day cardio. Never been a fan of bodypart splits myself, especially for beginners who can progress much faster than a bodypart split would allow, and are able to recover quickly between sessions.

I'd recommend something along the lines of full body 5x5, similar to stronglifts or starting strength programs. Basic Barbell movements, with a focus on progressing the weight on the bar. Including a few accessory exercises can help for overall balance too.

Alternate Workout A and B, so say on a MWF you'd do ABA, next week do BAB.

For example;

Workout A

Squats 5x5

Bench press 5x5

Barbell Row 5x5

DB shoulder press 3x8-10

Lat pulldowns 3x8-10

Workout B

Squats 5x5

Overhead press 5x5

Deadlifts 3x5

DB incline bench press 3x8-10

Seated rows 3x8-10

Each week add 5kg to squats and deads and 2.5kg to Bench press, overhead press, and barbell rows. Progress weights on the accessory lifts when you can easily complete sets of 3x10. Use the same weight across all sets, warm up to that weight however you see fit. Once you fail to complete all 5 sets of 5 reps, scale the weight back a bit and start working up again.

That's just one option, but I'm a believer of simple programs focusing on strength for beginners. That should lead you to a decent base of strength and muscle to then progress to whatever style of training you wish.

For diet focus on high protein, healthy fats and try to keep the majority of your carb intake to the period before and after your training sessions.

I'd also suggest taking some measurements to compare progress. Pick a day of the week and weigh yourself every week on that day in the morning. Also keep records of your waist, arm and thigh measurements as minimums, every 2-3 weeks. If your weight doesn't decrease some weeks, but your waist measurement does, and arms and thighs increased it's likely that you've just lost some fat and replaced that with muscle, the ultimate goal.

Sorry if that's a bit much, got on a roll :) Let me know if there's anything else you'd liked clarified, or feel free to ask any other questions. If you've got specific questions feel free to start a new topic, you'll probably get input from more people, and chances are others have been wondering the same thing but too afraid to ask. There's no such thing as a dumb question, especially when first starting out :nod:

Edit: Regarding weight loss, aim for between 0.25 and 0.5kg a week. Much more and you're unlikely to be building any muscle, and you'll also find it harder to keep making progress in strength and likely be unable to add more weight to the bar sooner. Slow and consistent is the way to go, slowly drop the fat, build the muscle, and get stronger and within a few months you'll be amazed at the difference you can make. I'd recommend taking some before pictures as well, you don't have to post them (although we do encourage that, great way to get more people interested in your progress) you'll at least have them for comparison in the future. Sometimes you might not think you've made much progress, until you look at what you've started from :)

I'd definitely go for the 3 day full body and 3 day cardio. Never been a fan of bodypart splits myself, especially for beginners who can progress much faster than a bodypart split would allow, and are able to recover quickly between sessions.

I'd recommend something along the lines of full body 5x5, similar to stronglifts or starting strength programs. Basic Barbell movements, with a focus on progressing the weight on the bar. Including a few accessory exercises can help for overall balance too.

That's just one option, but I'm a believer of simple programs focusing on strength for beginners. That should lead you to a decent base of strength and muscle to then progress to whatever style of training you wish.

For diet focus on high protein, healthy fats and try to keep the majority of your carb intake to the period before and after your training sessions.

I'd also suggest taking some measurements to compare progress. Pick a day of the week and weigh yourself every week on that day in the morning. Also keep records of your waist, arm and thigh measurements as minimums, every 2-3 weeks. If your weight doesn't decrease some weeks, but your waist measurement does, and arms and thighs increased it's likely that you've just lost some fat and replaced that with muscle, the ultimate goal.

Sorry if that's a bit much, got on a roll :) Let me know if there's anything else you'd liked clarified, or feel free to ask any other questions. If you've got specific questions feel free to start a new topic, you'll probably get input from more people, and chances are others have been wondering the same thing but too afraid to ask. There's no such thing as a dumb question, especially when first starting out :nod:

Edit: Regarding weight loss, aim for between 0.25 and 0.5kg a week. Much more and you're unlikely to be building any muscle, and you'll also find it harder to keep making progress in strength and likely be unable to add more weight to the bar sooner. Slow and consistent is the way to go, slowly drop the fat, build the muscle, and get stronger and within a few months you'll be amazed at the difference you can make. I'd recommend taking some before pictures as well, you don't have to post them (although we do encourage that, great way to get more people interested in your progress) you'll at least have them for comparison in the future. Sometimes you might not think you've made much progress, until you look at what you've started from :)

Great post Phedder, Repped :clap:

You, my friend, are an absolute legend, you pretty much just clarified life a bit more. Definitely gonna use that ABA-BAB method, and hopefully more cardio and regular games of basketball will come in to play as well. Thank you so much, you have helped immensely :D

No worries mate, happy to help. Basketball would be great, always better to enjoy the cardio than force yourself through it :nod:

Thanks TFB :)

• 3 months later...
Ok I'm now 2 months sticking to this routine, the weight increases have started to slow but still LOVING IT. Is it advisable to post pics/ do you guys find it helps?

Cheers :D

nice one. yeah definitely advisable, can help with motivation if you feel that is dropping off a little too. there is even a competition for it where the pic of the month wins a $100 supplement voucher - post your pic section (viewforum.php?f=9)

I think I should get some WPI, am I right?

If you're sensitive to milk products WPI would be best, otherwise WPC would be fine, and cheaper.

Would it be better to have a 3-day full body workout and 3 day cardio regime or an area of body workout and cardio each day?

Alternate Workout A and B, so say on a MWF you'd do ABA, next week do BAB.

For example;

Workout A

Squats 5x5

Bench press 5x5

Barbell Row 5x5

DB shoulder press 3x8-10

Lat pulldowns 3x8-10

Workout B

Squats 5x5

Overhead press 5x5

Deadlifts 3x5

DB incline bench press 3x8-10

Seated rows 3x8-10

Each week add 5kg to squats and deads and 2.5kg to Bench press, overhead press, and barbell rows. Progress weights on the accessory lifts when you can easily complete sets of 3x10. Use the same weight across all sets, warm up to that weight however you see fit. Once you fail to complete all 5 sets of 5 reps, scale the weight back a bit and start working up again.

Excellent workout given .. Basic compound movements.. thats all you need in the begining .. stick to basics and nothin would go wrong..

Repped Phedder :clap:

Ok I'm now 2 months sticking to this routine, the weight increases have started to slow but still LOVING IT. Is it advisable to post pics/ do you guys find it helps?

Cheers :D

Glad you've stuck to it and enjoyed the program mate :nod: It's normal for the increases to slow down, can't keep up with that type of progression for ever, as much as we all wish we could. I'd suggest cutting your weights back by 10-15% and trying to work up again next time you stall, and then maybe once more instead working up with 2.5kgs for squats and deads weekly and 2.5kg for bench and OH every 2 weeks. After that it's probably time to change to a more intermediate type program.

It's definitely advisable to take pics for your own records, really helps you see how much of a change you've made. Whether you post them is entirely up to you. We would all love to see the changes you've made but if you don't want to you don't have to. It's a good way to get a bit of extra encouragement and reinforcement for the hard work you've already put in, and as Fellowshipoftheron said you can get the chance to win a $100 supplement voucher with our Photo of the Month Competitions. Go ahead and post them if you're comfortable with it :nod: Being the start of the month as well you'd have the whole month to gather nominations :wink: