1st programme for a keen young lifter?

bang_bang

Sup gals and guys my sister has been training with me the past 6 weeks or so and is really getting into it which has pleased big bro no end :grin:

her 1st goal is to lose weight (which is coming along really well) secondly get strong as hell haha but im stumped as to what sort of routine she should be doing. So far i have been getting her to squat everytime (she loves squating!) with just the bar to learn good form and alternated bench and deadlift bar only with some basic assistance exercises to suit. Now shes hassling me to post this to find her a proper programme cos she wants to start lifting them heavy ass weights :pfft:

any advices would be appreciated!

Stronglifts 5x5 would be good since she is starting with just the bar anyway. What are her goals training wise?

That's a very good idea don't know why I didn't think of it myself.. I might modify it a bit though.. Something like this.

Workout A:

Squat 5x5

Bench 5x5

Seated dumbbell press 5x5

Leg press 3x10

Tricep push downs 3x10

Push ups 3x close to failure

Workout B:

Squat 5x5

Deadlift 3x5

Face pulls 3x10

Seated rows 3x8

Hamstring curls 3x10

Bicep curls 3x10

Various ab exercises

Alternate a and b. Add 5kg a week to squats and deadlift, 2.5kg to everything else.

Thoughts?

Her goal is to drop bf% to something respectable, then maintain and gain strength

Get her to sign up on the forum dude and point her to the girl's training logs, maybe morattigirls log for example.

I'm not letting her join, too many mongrels on here. I'd rage if someone said something disrespectful to her lol I'm a bit protective

Get her to sign up on the forum dude and point her to the girl's training logs, maybe morattigirls log for example.

I'm not letting her join, too many mongrels on here. I'd rage if someone said something disrespectful to her lol I'm a bit protective

fair enough, there's some dogs on here that's for sure!

Stronglifts 5x5 would be good since she is starting with just the bar anyway. What are her goals training wise?

That's a very good idea don't know why I didn't think of it myself.. I might modify it a bit though.. Something like this.

Workout A:

Squat 5x5

Bench 5x5

Overhead press 5x5

Leg press 3x10

Tricep push downs 3x10

Push ups 3x to failure

Workout B:

Squat 5x5

Deadlift 5x5

Hamstring curls 3x10

Bicep curls 3x10

Various ab exercises

Alternate a and b. Add 5kg a week to squats and deadlift, 2.5kg to everything else.

Thoughts?

Her goal is to drop bf% to something respectable, then maintain and gain strength

Looks pretty sensible. Would reduce deadlifts to 3x5 for a start, and add in some lat pulldowns/DB rows for upper back. Maybe limit push ups to 2-3 reps before failure as well.

Workout A:

Squat 5x5

Bench 5x5

Seated dumbbell press 5x5

Leg press 3x10

Tricep push downs 3x10

Push ups 3x close to failure

Workout B:

Squat 5x5

Deadlift 3x5

Face pulls 3x10

Lat pull downs 3x8

Hamstring curls 3x10

Bicep curls 3x10

Various ab exercises

Thoughts?

A rowing exercise in there too would be good, a DB row or Bent over BB row on day B. Otherwise looks good! :grin:

You're a nice brother looking out for her 8)