Lower left back injury

IamaFish

Hi Team - Have had Lower left pack pain for about 2 weeks now, its in my lower left back which has spread to my hip(??) It has also started to cause pain on the inside of my left leg(Knee to groin) and my left shoulder and elbow(where my bicep ends)

When i wake up in the mornings i can barely walk. It gets better throughout the day and i cannot notice it when going to bed!

I havnt been to the physio as of yet as i thought it may just fix itself but it has gotten to the point where im getting sick of hobbling around in the morning. I have been working around the injury by not tranining legs & lower back.

Do you guys think it would be a good idea to stop training and get this fixed or continue training around the problem and get it fixed=](via physio/chiropracter etc etc.?)

cheers!

Hey man. Do you use a foam roller? Do you get massage therapy? Or do mobility drills? After a while, ( I assume you have trained a year or two) you need it. Well in my experience and I'm sure other people feel the same way.

I thought i was going to be screwed but now just f*ck the shit out of my foam roller and get a massage now n then and it keeps the niggles down.

Hey man. Do you use a foam roller? Do you get massage therapy? Or do mobility drills? After a while, ( I assume you have trained a year or two) you need it. Well in my experience and I'm sure other people feel the same way.

I thought i was going to be screwed but now just f*ck the shit out of my foam roller and get a massage now n then and it keeps the niggles down.

LOL, do you get any weird looks while Fuc#ing your roller?(that honestly made me laugh ^.^)

Seriously i don't, have thought about getting into defranco's warmup routines in the past and am guessing its about time to start! will have to get the GF onto those massages more often aswell lol.

Cheers MK, will definatly give it a go. Need to get this sorted ASAP.

haha well I do it at home so no1 can see :shifty:

but yea give it a go, I think it will help. When I first started it hurt so much I still neglected it a bit, but now its just a quick routine and she's all good.

Also stretch out those hip. I hear (from the internet) a lot of people (myself included) get real tight hip flexors and that will cause lower back pain and cause lazy glutes. Mayb a coach or someone from a bb club could confirm?

Here is a drill I do 2x a week, b4 training and also do some of the exercises and foaming just because I can

Agile 8

Also stretch out those hip. I hear (from the internet) a lot of people (myself included) get real tight hip flexors and that will cause lower back pain and cause lazy glutes.

:nod: These days we spend far too much time sitting (desks, driving, couches etc) which can cause short and weak hip flexors and glutes that are only useful as a cushion :lol: Interesting you get it quite bad MK, you work on a farm right? Surely better off than someone who drives to and from a desk job, there hips be screwed.

Iamafish, your lower back and leg pain sounds a lot like Sciatica, could be worth reading up on and see if it fits for you, but quite likely I'd say. Basically the sciatic nerves could be being compressed by either your lumbar vertebrae or piriformis muscle if you're unlucky enough to have your sciatic nerve run through it. The left shoulder and elbow is hard to make sense of for me, could possibly be due to compensation somewhere along the line for your lower back/leg issues. Might be an entirely separate issue as well :think:

Do you guys think it would be a good idea to stop training and get this fixed or continue training around the problem and get it fixed=](via physio/chiropracter etc etc.?)

If it's so bad that you're hobbling around, definitely go see a physio ASAP! The agile 8 link MK posted is also a great resource. Start stretching your hip flexors, work on activating your glutes, and loosening up your piriformis.

Also stretch out those hip. I hear (from the internet) a lot of people (myself included) get real tight hip flexors and that will cause lower back pain and cause lazy glutes.

:nod: These days we spend far too much time sitting (desks, driving, couches etc) which can cause short and weak hip flexors and glutes that are only useful as a cushion :lol: Interesting you get it quite bad MK, you work on a farm right? Surely better off than someone who drives to and from a desk job, there hips be screwed.

=/! that could be me lol.. Mhm will definantly make an appointment to see a physio post NY.

Cheers guys!

If you can trace it back to an event (workout etc) then physio will only cost about $15 a visit under ACC. I am going through them atm for a lower right pain in my back. Scar tissue.

Don't put it off, as you will end up fatiguing other muscles that work harder trying to compensate, and if it is an injured muscle, it may become scarred over time (if it is pinched etc)

Interesting you get it quite bad MK, you work on a farm right? Surely better off than someone who drives to and from a desk job, there hips be screwed.

Not any more, but I am standing all day. I'm not having major problems any more, well things do get tight, but not as bad as in the past, for me staying one step ahead by using foam roller and stretching is the key. Did use chiro/pyhsio but wasn't effective for me.

GL Ianafish, hope things get well.