Weightlifting Shoes

tinytraps

Interesting to note there BK, lots of the guys at the Powerhouse are moving from heels to flat soles also :nod: Definitely would be flat sole myself if I was just generally training around the gym.

Hahaha Just remembered this today actually, will right up tomorrow and post pics! Wanted to have a couple weeks training in them to get a good feel for em first :nod:

*cough cough* Two days now, not that I'm over eager to hear how they are or anything :shifty: :grin:

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't wear shoes when I squat/dead.

Is this bad or awesome. Obviously in a competition I guess you'd have to wear some sort of shoe...

Awesome, most guys at the House do barefeet (or jandals :shifty:). I go barefoot for deads myself, or use deadlift slippers. Just for squatting I find I get better glute activation with oly heels.

Whatever is comfortable 8)

Is this bad or awesome. Obviously in a competition I guess you'd have to wear some sort of shoe...

your allowed bare feet at Les Mills :shifty: I always thought shiny land gyms were against that kind of rebelious bahaviour.

Same as Drizzt heeled shoes for Squats for better glute activation or popping out of the hole the only side effect of that is you may get a big arse.

Flats for deads all the way.

Haha well noones said anything to me! But Im not grubby or anything. haha

I've used chalk there aswell but keep it on the down low and wipe the bar after etc but I know other poeple do it because I see chalk marks around sometimes when I'm working.

I would lift in the house but I don't feel I need to because I only squat like 60 LOL.

Haha well noones said anything to me! But Im not grubby or anything. haha

I've used chalk there aswell but keep it on the down low and wipe the bar after etc but I know other poeple do it because I see chalk marks around sometimes when I'm working.

I would lift in the house but I don't feel I need to because I only squat like 60 LOL.

I used chalk in LM when I went there, both in Auckland CBD and in Taranaki street LM nobody ever said anything to me.

The House doesn't judge people, I squatted 50kg when I joined.

your allowed bare feet at Les Mills :shifty:

I always thought shiny land gyms were against that kind of rebelious bahaviour.

I thought it was "No shirt, no shoes - no squat" at Les Miserables - maybe Extreme is getting adventurous :grin:
Same as Drizzt heeled shoes for Squats for better glute activation or popping out of the hole the only side effect of that is you may get a big arse.

Flats for deads all the way.

Shoes with a bit of a rise def have an advantage - I found that out, just by slipping a 2.5kg plate under each heel. Heels have to be non-compress - I got better stability from swapping from leather trainers to hi-tops. Next step - squat shoes, prolly
^

I was squatting about 90kgs :shock: for a 88kg male that's woeful to say the least.

The house doesn't judge, but that makes me feel a little better :grin: :pfft: LOOk at you now though MT :shock: :clap:

True dat - the 'House is a great environment - and equally true is MT's got a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuge squat now!

your allowed bare feet at Les Mills :shifty:

I always thought shiny land gyms were against that kind of rebelious bahaviour.

I thought it was "No shirt, no shoes - no squat" at Les Miserables - maybe Extreme is getting adventurous :grin:

Wow maybe I'll try no shoes and no shirt and some chalk for good measure next time to see if I can get away with it :lol:

• 8 months later...
:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Volts5Small.jpg

Volts8Small.jpg

Best self present ever!

Merry christmas all! \:D/ :jive:

Nice, Drizzt. People will certainly see you coming with a colour like that. :grin:

Newbie question here as I know bugger all about shoes for lifting (I use Chucks slim-sole), do you use these for both squats and deadlifts or just one of the lifts?

Nice, Drizzt. People will certainly see you coming with a colour like that. :grin:

Newbie question here as I know bugger all about shoes for lifting (I use Chucks slim-sole), do you use these for both squats and deadlifts or just one of the lifts?

Yeah, was a bit bored by the standard black or white shoe that most people (including myself!) have, so figured not too many would be wearing the Volts (in NZ anyway) :)

I'll be using them for Squats and Bench. I know some people deadlift in heels, and I've tried it, but it doesn't work well for me. IMHO [sweepinggeneralisation]most people are suited to deadlifting in flat-soled shoes[/sweepinggeneralisation].

:clap: :rockout:

Write up?

I'm waiting on my AdiPOWER to arrive...

Yep! Give me a few sessions to break 'em in and I'll write a few (hundred) words up about them :grin: Can't wait, have heard nothing but great things about them :nod:

Great, likely more reasons for me to buy them :roll: Why can't I save any damn money :doh:

Great, likely more reasons for me to buy them :roll: Why can't I save any damn money :doh:

Be quick, stock is dwindling! :grin:

To be fair, as long as you're a 9-13 (I think) you should be able to hunt around for a store. Ironedge still don't have them in stock though so that could be worth waiting for if you can get someone to bring them back/forward them on.

Oh and OH, hope you like the Adipowers, couple of guys at my gym have them, really like them :nod:

Be quick, stock is dwindling! :grin:

To be fair, as long as you're a 9-13 (I think) you should be able to hunt around for a store. Ironedge still don't have them in stock though so that could be worth waiting for if you can get someone to bring them back/forward them on.

Oh and OH, hope you like the Adipowers, couple of guys at my gym have them, really like them :nod:

I hope so.. I had an Adidas oly shoe that served me very well for 10 years so I will have something to compare to. I couldn't decide for a long time between the Nike and adidas for a while that as soon as they restocked the Nike ones they pretty much sold my size out :? That made the decision much easier :pfft: My mates have them and he loves them.

For a while I was thinking that I will end up getting the romanelos due to the supported area of the bottom of the sole (See pictures...) I suspect the romanelos have slightly more area to them at the same shoe size than the adidas ones. Hard to say, be nice to put one of each in the same size next to each other and take a picture (Hint hint :wink: ) Con against this was some people find it hard to readjust by turning/ grinding feet against the floor once in a squat stance with decent weight on the back. Not sure about this ... only red it.

Also they have an extra strap to secure things. :think:

End of the day I remember what it was like to go from skate shoes to proper weightlifting shoes... It was night and day difference for me. Technology improved since then and looking forward to have the cupping feeling of the new design (inisiated by Nike) for a change ....

I am sure it will serve me well for a while. They both very high quality shoes.... and we can both do a write up ;) instead of me rumbling here like an idiot.

Now I will have a very expensive squat shoe and a measly squat :pfft:

post-8141-14166825110508_thumb.jpg

post-8141-14166825110793_thumb.jpg

For a while I was thinking that I will end up getting the romanelos due to the supported area of the bottom of the sole (See pictures...) I suspect the romanelos have slightly more area to them at the same shoe size than the adidas ones. Hard to say, be nice to put one of each in the same size next to each other and take a picture (Hint hint :wink: ) Con against this was some people find it hard to readjust by turning/ grinding feet against the floor once in a squat stance with decent weight on the back. Not sure about this ... only red it.

Also they have an extra strap to secure things. :think:

I think one of the lads may have a similar size to me in the Adipowers, will check :nod:

I'll split these posts into the weightlifting shoes thread and we can continue there :)

I wore them around the house for a bit (didn't have a session tonight), and immediately had the feeling they aren't going anywhere once planted. As soon as I hit the squat set up, they are locked tight and will not budge (wooden floors). The shoes felt a little more roomy than equivalent Nike runners, but with the straps done up your foot feels as if it is moulded to the shoe. Really, really impressed, and I was only in them for 10 minutes. The quality of the build, and the exacting specs in terms of room within the shoe, is immediately apparent.

I'll save a further writeup for when I've had a few proper sessions in em :)

• 4 weeks later...

Am looking at picking up a pair of adipowers, and maybe I just don't know where to look but I'm wondering where did people actually order them from? Actually really struggling to locate anything. Anywhere cheaper/easier than ordering from eastbay? Basically the only place I can find them that isnt ebay

Roguefitness.com do them, most sizes are in stock too. That's where I got my Romaleos from, shipping is quick (but about $50 USD).

Shoe cost is the same, Rogue has cheaper shipping by about $10USD. Most places that sell this type of shoe will sell it at $199 USD, it's what you pay to get their top of the line shoe :nod: