Weightlifting Shoes

tinytraps

Just heard the heel could compress a bit under heavier load?

Thought as much. I'll keep searching around for some more reviews on them, if I can't find anything too bad I'll probably give them a go. They should be fine as a starter shoe and I won't be throwing around massive weights in them :lol: If/when I get more serious and stronger in the future I'll invest in a better pair :nod:

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't let me dissuade you from it though bro, I'm sure neither of us would put it under enough strain to notice a difference :pfft:

Glued up my Ristos which seems to have worked well (early days yet though), but will probably still make an order in the near future for either the Romaleos, or the cheaper Adidas ones... hmmmm.

Just heard back from the guy at Dynamic Eleiko re: the adiStar's, he says shipping to NZ is $50 USD, brings the price of them to about $280-290 NZD. So slightly cheaper than the Romaleos... will just check if they're comp legal (don't want the hassle of having them pulled up at a nationals or something) and then I may order some in the new year.

Also asked about shipping more than one pair and whether that would be cheaper, if anyone is tempted to go in on the order with me...

EDIT - the guy got back quick this time, and says 2 pairs will be no more than $77 shipped together, possibly less depending on the size of the shoes. This brings the price down about $20 to $260-270 on today's exchange rates. All sizes 4-16 (including all .5s) currently available! Anyone keen?

Don't let me dissuade you from it though bro, I'm sure neither of us would put it under enough strain to notice a difference :pfft:

Not at all, after a bit more forum searching all I've read so far has been positive. No complaints of any quality issues, and by all accounts a great beginner shoe for a good price. Found a log of one guy who had squatted around 200kg 5x5 in them and loved the shoes, so I'm sure they'll manage :)

I've also just got a 15% discount code for them, which brings the price down to around $125NZD landed. Turns out liftinglarge have just ran out of large titan knee sleeves, getting more in Jan. So I think I'll postpone my gear order until the sleeves are in, and get the shoes once my next pay comes through (If the damn rain would stop so I could get some work :evil: )

http://www.roguefitness.com/gear-apparel/shoes/weightlifting-shoes.php?gclid=CKC2pYeY86wCFciBpAod2Sjanw

This place looks pretty good, saw some of the lifters at the NIs wearing the adidas ones shown, maybe something I ask santa for :pfft:

Just ordered my 1st pair of Squat shoes! man cannot wait for Santa to bring em to MEEEEE AAAAAH!!!

Guy at Gillies wrecked some Risto's in 2 weeks Olympic lifting. I ain't touching them.

Going to get some off UndergroundElite.

Just a heads up. Underground Elite shoes are just Re-badged Ristos and the Wei-Rui are actually BAF shoes - but Wei-rui is the original manufacturer.

Just look at the Risto Series 2 shoe and then look at the UGE shoe - identical.

http://www.roguefitness.com/gear-apparel/shoes/weightlifting-shoes.php?gclid=CKC2pYeY86wCFciBpAod2Sjanw

This place looks pretty good, saw some of the lifters at the NIs wearing the adidas ones shown, maybe something I ask santa for :pfft:

Just ordered my 1st pair of Squat shoes! man cannot wait for Santa to bring em to MEEEEE AAAAAH!!!

Just waiting for my pay to come through and I'll be sharing those feelings with you MT :grin:

Guy at Gillies wrecked some Risto's in 2 weeks Olympic lifting. I ain't touching them.

Going to get some off UndergroundElite.

Just a heads up. Underground Elite shoes are just Re-badged Ristos and the Wei-Rui are actually BAF shoes - but Wei-rui is the original manufacturer.

Just look at the Risto Series 2 shoe and then look at the UGE shoe - identical.

:shock: Holy Crap

Why are they so much cheaper as UGEs, and the Wei-ruis cheaper than BAF? Just throw a different label on them and mark the price up a tonne for more profit?

Just waiting for my pay to come through and I'll be sharing those feelings with you MT :grin:

Slime Green?

Slime Green?

Haha na not the ones TT linked, first pair of squat shoes is what I meant. I've order in some Wei-Rui Warrior's this morning, I posted them above. Simple black and white :nod:

We'll see who's arrive first :grin:

Just heard back from the guy at Dynamic Eleiko re: the adiStar's, he says shipping to NZ is $50 USD, brings the price of them to about $280-290 NZD. So slightly cheaper than the Romaleos... will just check if they're comp legal (don't want the hassle of having them pulled up at a nationals or something) and then I may order some in the new year.

Also asked about shipping more than one pair and whether that would be cheaper, if anyone is tempted to go in on the order with me...

EDIT - the guy got back quick this time, and says 2 pairs will be no more than $77 shipped together, possibly less depending on the size of the shoes. This brings the price down about $20 to $260-270 on today's exchange rates. All sizes 4-16 (including all .5s) currently available! Anyone keen?

If you are willing to fork out $300 you should have got these!

Romaleos1b.jpg

U344P6T12D3659945F44DT20080513155016.jpg

25870d1239520815-best-heavyliftin-shoes-nike-romaleos-2008-olympics-1.jpg

nike-romaleo-black-h1.jpg

6a0120a573bb9d970c0133f216c28e970b-800wi

Not that the adistars are no good... The nikes just look so cool =P~

Hey bro, are all of those Nikes you posted Romaleos? If so then yeah that's what I'm tossing up, between the adistars and the Romaleos... only $30 price difference, tough decision!

I like the look of both but in different ways, the Nike's are "cooler", where the Adidas' just have a sleek sexiness about them.

But then again, looks are secondary, robustness is a big priority after having my Ristos go much earlier than I would've hoped.

Hey bro, are all of those Nikes you posted Romaleos? If so then yeah that's what I'm tossing up, between the adistars and the Romaleos... only $30 price difference, tough decision!

I like the look of both but in different ways, the Nike's are "cooler", where the Adidas' just have a sleek sexiness about them.

But then again, looks are secondary, robustness is a big priority after having my Ristos go much earlier than I would've hoped.

Yeah they are all Romaleos but I read that some of them are only available to athletes representing their country at the olympics. The ones with the red body were made for China, obsidian USA and blue for Ukraine.

I don't think they are that exclusive though except for the Chinese ones maybe.

The adistars do have a sleek design. I think with respect to durability the adistar and romaleo will always perform better than the risto because plastic doesn't fracture like wood and the design is better despite not having the high quality materials the risto does.

Rob had a pair more like the romaleos but it looks like he has switched to the adistars too, so maybe you are on to a good thing.

Romaleos are pretty much discontinued as of now due to the new model coming into production for the 2012 Olympics. So I would suggest getting them while supplied last. Also, those Wei-Rui warriors are the same shoe as the BAF white/black pair. Finally, here's a review of the adidas pl trainer - they are more for power lifting than olympic lifting though.

I reckon you gotta look at what you are training for and how you are going to use the shoes first and fore most.

For instance, Pat Mendes and Rob Adell are full-time Oly lifters who snatch, cj, squat (mainly front squat) up to 8-13 sessions a week, whereas Andrey Malanichev squats (mainly back squat) with flat-soled-chuck-taylor looking shoes - http://youtu.be/OIhFhzgFVJw.

Find out what shoe is going to work better for you to lift the the most weight as efficient as possible. Nike Romaleos may have a heel that is too high for effectively engaging your hammys in the back squat but are perfect for ankle flexibility when performing the front squat (ie. clean).

I'm not saying don't buy "this" shoe if you aren't "this" kind of lifter. Just know what shoe you are buying and how it's going to help you lift more weight.

On the other hand, it doesn't hurt trying them all \:D/ I'd try them all if I could afford them \:D/

Got me some weightlifting shoes from underground elite for christmas they look so awesome! \:D/ So if anyone wants a mega cheap pair of old school adistars size 11 pm me, they have lasted at least 10 years and will last another 10!

Damnit! Got some in the air currently, I would have snatched those up in a heartbeat.

My Wei Rui's arrived today :grin: 11 days after placing the order, not bad at all, especially over the holidays.

First impressions are good, construction seems very solid and durable. Laces and ankle strap seem like the perfect lengths. I wear a size 11 dress shoe so ordered size 10.5US, fits well and feet are locked in once strap is done up. Can't help but think if a 10 would have been just right, but would hate them to be too small as well. The rubber heel feels very solid and heavy, couldn't imagine them possibly being compressed at all, at least no more so than wood could?

I'll do a proper review and write up in a month or so once I've had a chance to use them properly, itching to get in tomorrow for squats :) So far though, for the price of $125NZD they were by far the cheapest pair I could find and look to be well worth it :nod:

• 2 weeks later...
My Wei Rui's arrived today :grin: 11 days after placing the order, not bad at all, especially over the holidays.

First impressions are good, construction seems very solid and durable. Laces and ankle strap seem like the perfect lengths. I wear a size 11 dress shoe so ordered size 10.5US, fits well and feet are locked in once strap is done up. Can't help but think if a 10 would have been just right, but would hate them to be too small as well. The rubber heel feels very solid and heavy, couldn't imagine them possibly being compressed at all, at least no more so than wood could?

I'll do a proper review and write up in a month or so once I've had a chance to use them properly, itching to get in tomorrow for squats :) So far though, for the price of $125NZD they were by far the cheapest pair I could find and look to be well worth it :nod:

ah man jealous! got a bit fucked around on my order they emailed me on the 30th saying oh wait we don't actually have that shoe in stock sorry here's your money back. turns out it was just the colour they didn't have! So had to order another pair today just in a different colour :twisted:

though the guy was nice and said he'd ship it out ASAP so should hope to see them within a week or 2 fingers crossed would have thought another option would be better than refunding and going through the process all over again but hey. Glad yours are here hope they have gone well for you, might look at a back up pair seeing yours were cheap as and looking good.

Man that sucks, sorry to hear. You should have demanded a discount for your wasted time waiting and thinking they were on the way.

Absolutely loving mine, feel much more stable. They have given me an issue with depth, but not the one most people have :lol: I'm actually going too deep now and Steak reckons I'm losing poundage by dropping it too low. Gotta work on finding that sweet spot for depth again with the heel.

There may be one issue for competition though, as they have a slight rise in the arch which means they aren't entirely flat along the bottom. The way I read the rules it shouldn't be an issue, but I still have to clarify with some officials (really must get onto that :shifty: )

Shoes or boots

Shoes or boots shall be worn.

(a) Shoes shall be taken to include only Sports Shoes / Sports Boots; W/L, P/L Boots or Deadlift

Slippers. The above is referring to indoor sports e.g. wrestling/basketball. Hiking boots do not fall

into this category

© The underside must be flat i.e. no projections, irregularities, or a doctoring from the standard

design.

The underside that connects with the floor is entirely flat, and I'm sure that rule is more for safety issues than being pedantic about a slight rise in the arch that leaves a small gap between sole and floor. Will still pay to check though