NZ's bodybuilding, strength and fitness community
Sign in to follow this  
tonyb

6 Months of CrossFit

Well finally decided to post a before & after pic of my CrossFit progress.

The pic on the left is me beofre I started training at the gym

The pic in the middle is me before I started CrossFit. I was just doing your typical turn up to the gym & pump out the weights with no goal in mind.

The pic on the right is me after 6 months of CrossFitting. Still carrying fat in the lower abdomen but a cut should get rid of that.

post-1696-14166823635361_thumb.jpg

Definately thickened up a bit through chest, shoulders & it looks like back (but tough pic to judge well), though you appear a little leaner pre-crossfit?

What were your aims over that 6 months & what are your thoughts on the crossfit experience?

It's nutrition that leans u up not crossfit. If your nutrition stays same and you burn more calories in crossfit than whatever you were previously doing then yes u will get leaner.

In the left pic I was 112kg and overweight

In the middle pic I was 90.5kg and had just done a cut for summer

In the right pic I am now 92.5kg and haven't started cutting yet

The photo is a bit misleading, Ive gone thicker in the chest, shoulders, lats, but I have also gone thicker around the mid riff as well. So Nate, yeah, body fat wise I probably have a little bit more now cos I havent done a cut.

IW, yeah I am surprised that CrossFit doesn't wean you down to a little thin stick, Ive actually added more muscle. It shows the misconception of CrossFit.

Even though we run around like mad men, we are still doing some heavy lifting in there as well.

It's nutrition that leans u up not crossfit. If your nutrition stays same and you burn more calories in crossfit than whatever you were previously doing then yes u will get leaner.

Yeah sort ur diet out a bit and ull def keep getting good results

Totally agree Tom, when I was weight training I never did much cardio. When I wanted to lose bodyfat I always thought it was becuase I was not doing enought cardio. Now with CrossFit I'm doing a shitload of cardio & still cant get rid of the bodyfat. It's totally down to what you eat, calories in vs calories out.

would you agree with people that your strength goes down at the expense of your cardio going up bro?

yes definitly, but there are ways to minimise it and I believe crossfit is one of those ways.

I'm heaps stronger now from CrossFit than when I was only weight training.

Take for example a workout like Fran

21-15-9 (100kg Deadlifts/Pullups)

Do 21 deadlifts, 21 pullups - 15 deadlifts, 15 pullups - 9 deadlifts, 9 pullups

That's 45 deadlifts & 45 Pullups in one single set (no rest)

I never did that much when I was weight training

Definitely carrying on. There's so much to learn & I'm really enjoying all the new challenges. I want to get good at all the Olympic lifts, I want to learn more gymnastic stuff (muscle ups) for one. The strength you need for the rings is huge. At the end of the day, it keeps me fit, keeps me interested, and I'm really enjoying it.

+1, Nice to see other crossfitters - I also have similar pics!

Crossfit is good to shake things up, and you do learn a lot of technique along the way. Which box are you at bro?

Not sure how the pros do it, but we did 4 WODs and it was scored by adding your time for each WOD together, the person with the lowest score wins the overall comp. It was done in one day, 3 categories, ladies, intermediate, open. You get about half an hour rest between WODs. I think the pros also have age groups, we didn't though. You also know the type of WOD before the comp but not the exercise in each one, they draw the exercises out of a hat in the morning, so no one knows how to prepare. The concept being, if your CrossFit, then it wont matter what comes out of the hat. Anyway, this is what came out that day

WOD 1 (5 Rounds for time)

10 x Deadlift (80kg)

20 x Ring Dips

100 Skips

WOD 2 (5 Rounds for time)

15 x Barbell Thrusters (40kg)

400m Run

WOD 3 (21/15/9)

Push Press (40kg)

Situps

WOD 4

30 snatches for time (40kg)

Shoot man that's impressive work from a non bb stance I think you made mad gains. Obviously stronger too I bet?

Should keep going would be interesting to see what a year of cf does.