Crossfit, Why does everyone bag it?

tomsammce

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Pseudo,

I dont do Crossfit classes or belong to a Crossfit gym, however I have used elements that CrossFit has popularised in my training and training of clients such as some of the barbell complexes, sprints and body weight exercises as these are great conditioning tools if used smartly and at the correct stage/time in your clients training. They are also great alternatives to conventional cardio, especially if you still have a reasonable amount of carbohydrate in your diet and get bored easily.

I generally look to include these to match the goal for the client on the day/week and not just mix and match energy systems too much.

One of the best quotes I have heard on this is to: Absorb what is useful (to you) and reject what is useless (to you).Many of the top strength coaches use complexes to achieve results for their Athletes also, guys like Alwyn, Eric Cressey and Poloquin have been doing these for many years as alternatives to cardio, they just do them with loading appropriate to each individual and as part of a larger training goal.

Personally for my goals, (competing in NABBA)I currently have no desire to join a Crossfit gym as I think "Conventional" body building training is much more appropriate to this goal, especially as Crossfit is not marketed as a BBuilding tool, however for those looking for a change or challenge, trying a class may be an idea, especially if you are currently relatively injury free and have good range of motion/flexibilty in your joints. Their is an injury risk involved, but their is with any endeavour/sport, some have a higher risk than others which is one reason I like BBuilding. Its non impact, so if your form is tight and you look after your rotators and joints through appropriate warming up/loading, its a very safe sport compared to impact sports(league/rugby etc).

Crossfit in Newmarket look after you. Jason is a quality trainer.

Sure, the weights may seem bad for noobs to start using, but the standards you see on the sites are based on their competition weights.

They don't get you starting straight off on the max CF weight. At least not from what I have seen with my own eyes. They still expect you to go as fast as you can, but with correct form.

I joined it because it offered me a challenge. I have lost the muscle mass I got from regular weight training, but have cut up a lot. I am faster in reaction times now.

I am still planning my return to regular training, but have enjoyed the change that CF brings.

My goals were to have an even blend of strength, power and endurance. I had no endurance from gym work. I was anti-cardio. Now I enjoy it, and can return with new ideas to the gym.

If you are a fighter, I would recommend you give it a go on top of your training. The core strength and endurance gained from CF is awesome.

Running alone just doesn't cut it in my opinion.

I love Crossfit, my first experience with it was at Crossfit Oahu (Hawaii). I was looking for a place to train with Oly equipment and ran into Crossfit Oahu on the net.

Also, I've done crossfit for a couple of months last year at CFNZ. It was awesome, no issues about it - coaches were good, atmosphere was good and good fun. It was just too expensive :( and I hated turning up and the WOD was a strength workout that I could do at my own gym lol (ie. $30 casual to do deadlifts). So I stopped going due to those 2 factors.

In regards to the popularity of Crossfit, I kinda feel ripped off a bit, as for years I have been advocating that the Oly lifts are effective not dangerous, squatting below parallel is good for you and not bad for your knees and heavy lifting makes you strong not bulky but it wasn't until Crossfit popularised those exercises/methods that a large majority of people actually started to train this way. People wouldn't listen to lifting experts who were telling them this stuff, but would rather listen to crash-course-coaches with little to no experience lol. All goods though lol

However, I am grateful to Crossfit for popularising Olympic Weightlifting to the masses, it means that there is a larger group of people who will be willing to listen to (and pay for) what I have to teach.

In regards to the popularity of Crossfit, I kinda feel ripped off a bit, as for years I have been advocating that the Oly lifts are effective not dangerous, squatting below parallel is good for you and not bad for your knees and heavy lifting makes you strong not bulky but it wasn't until Crossfit popularised those exercises/methods that a large majority of people actually started to train this way. People wouldn't listen to lifting experts who were telling them this stuff, but would rather listen to crash-course-coaches with little to no experience lol. All goods though lol

Funny how that works! :pfft:

tried a bootcamp with them - knackered my back a fortnight in. liked the tabata stuff we did - but for the price and the lack of form - wouldn't go back.. .

Two instructors vs 40 people?

I thought that was definitely a problem. Especially because of all the noobs doing half reps. But the actual CF classes are about 15 people and usually 3 instructors, with most of the trainees being already used to the correct form.

How did you damage your back?

Danomyte, you are correct with the price. This would be my biggest bitch. When you can gym it for $30 a fortnight, $30 a single isn't cost effective.

I enjoyed training at Ludus Magnus better.

All in all, it is a great way to increase cardio, endurance and strength. Sure, you can't win against someone who trains in one thing (vs a PL in a PL setting) but you are definitely a step up from someone doing the same light-weight barbell curls week after week.

How did you damage your back?

race running and squatting with 25kg sandbags - awkward things to keep a grip of at the best of times. failure was reached pretty quick.. .

pussy.

Poor form? I thought you knew about form liquid_101? srs statement.

Taken from an event with veteran CrossFit athletes. Hitting axle clean and jerks. Supervised by Strongman Certified Coaches. Axle weight is about 10-15lbs. This lift is not a standard Clean and Jerk.

thats an accident waiting to happen! my form is far from good but this is just horrible! :pfft:

The issue is that bodybuilders are not going to do CrossFit and the general gym monkeys are not into that either. It's to hard and more importantly it's not open all day so the convenience factor is out. I have trained CrossFit for a while and it was very good. If you are looking for a challenge then it has its place, however, for me the timings were off as I'm busy in the evening and prefer to train in the afternoon.

It is expensive, however people spent shit loads on coffee so why not have some restraint and use your money more effectively.

pussy.

cheers mate. quality reply. y'know eazy-e died from aids. you heading that way too?

awww maaaate bit of banter.

anyway been practising and adding into my cross fit workouts olympic lifts first few sessions just used the bar, moved up to 10kg each side today... as long as there is progression thats all that matters the smaller incriments you move up in the safer it is and less chance of you practicing bad technique... remember practice doesnt make perfect, practice makes permanent.

there is no problem with injuires if you are smart... if i try to do an olympic lift (sorry i dont knwo the namkes of the lifts really, but anyone will do for this example) with lots of weight first off of course i wil probably injure myself.

in any good crossfit gym and any gym that is people should always be taught technique and form as this is the most important thing for a beginner to build on as far as progression goes. now if ppl who are teaching crossfit arent teaching technique i would agree thats bad yes.

as for injuries from crossfit... sure people ripping rotar cuffs all the time... what you gotta realise is its more full on that bodybuilding or powerlifting training... just like rugby is there are risks involved. if an ifbb pro injures himself in the gym is mr little amatuer "iv competed 5 times" gonna tell him he doesnt know what hes doing? injuries happen accept it.

i find it much more physically challenging than bodybuilding ever was, body builders are such precious ppl.

Man, I tried hard not to comment on this thread but f*ck it, here goes.

Bodybuilding & Crossfit are two different beasts, so trying to say one is better than the other is a waste of energy.

Each to their own, enjoy what you do & use that hater energy in your training instead.

I'm gonna post some pics soon of my progress doing CrossFit. I wasn't that keen cos of my gyno nips & still carrying some weight in my lower gut area.

But i think it will be good to show people what you can achieve from CrossFit in less than 6 months.

It's the complexity of the movements and the fatigue that lead to injuries.

As part of some wrestling training I used to do a fair bit of this style of training. Not crossfit but a lot of big compound exercises performed more in succession for higher reps with little rest. I liked some aspects of it but just found that I wanted to stop a lot earlier than I could have because my form on things would falter and whilst I am happy to really push myself I am not all that excited about the prospect of injury.

I guess it comes down to who's coaching you. I have seen some whoeful form and then I have seen some great form.

For muscular endurance and conditioning it is an awesome way to train I just didn't/don't like it because of what I perceive to be injury risks and also because it's not going to help me get bigger and stronger than I currently am.

If noobs start training like IFBB pro's, they will end in injury and tears. The same can be said of any demanding sport/training system.

People can be hurt in CF, but it isn't a train wreck of A&E appointments. I put my back out in the gym from being a retard and letting ego determine my weight. It wasn't the routines fault, it wasn't teh gyms fault, it was mine.

BUt, this is a good documentary, following a few people on their lead up to the 2009 Crossfit games.

This thread will end up like the religious ones. Best to live and let live, and enjoy what you do (using correct form!) 8)

Exactly, you don't run your first marathon and try for 3min/km. You build up, starting at a comfortable pace at the start of your training and by doing it more frequently you make progress..

Same goes for crossfit. There are records and pbs just like anything. No ones expected to be the fastest from the start you start at your own pace and build on that. Of your doing a techinical lift with shit techinque because your fatigued well then your simply not fit enough for the pace your working at.

That video posted on here a wee bit back with the shitty lifts, is being bagged by the crossfit community btw.

Most people have already posted what I wanted to say but hey:

The 'prescribed' weight in workouts is a goal only, if the board at my box says 35kgs for anything over the head, I generally go 20-25. I'm about form over intensity, and most decent coaches will be too :) In New Zealand anyway. There will always be idiots who ruin it for everyone, happens in most sports.

Everything is scaled too, a friend of mine has recently started and instead of throwing her straight into a WOD with deadlifts, she got to do KB squats instead as she wasn't sure about deadlifts to start.

I don't believe it is just a fancy name for bootcamps or circuit training, we often do a strength component followed by a more intense workout. Not many bootcamps focus on oly lifting.

Most of the negative/bad stuff is due to a few boxes in the States who are a bit rubbish, with 'coaches' looking to tag onto the Crossfit brand and make themselves some moolah. We are pretty lucky in New Zealand, the coaches here are all generally awesome, they know their shit, and they're passionate about it.

I go because in the gym I was too scared to try the bigger lifts by myself. I like the style of training because it is more 'sports' orientated (imo), and I never know what I'm doing until I get there, and the mix is what I want from a workout.

Plus, Miranda Oldroyd as a role model, hello!

I go because in the gym I was too scared to try the bigger lifts by myself.

Plus, Miranda Oldroyd as a role model, hello!

Good feedback Icecream.

Again, a big reason why I love Crossfit is because it has popularised the BIG LIFTS/HEAVY LIFTING to the masses. Oly Lifts and heavy training methods have been around for years/decades, and are now a staple of every Crossfitters workout :clap:

A really good way that CrossfitHQ has popularised/marketed the big lifts to the masses has been to not focus on the elite athletes outside of Crossfit. Like take Miranda in the video - she is nowhere near lifting the weights an elite weightlifter in her class lifts (ie. Oxana Slivenko RUS 118kg Snatch + 148kg CJ) but she is still seen as an inspiration.

Smart marketing = by not focusing on the elite athletes outside of Crossfit and having good looking, fit looking people, lifting achievable weights in the Crossfit videos, really inspires ALL Crossfitters (especially beginners) to train in the big lifts :clap: :clap: