Venom Protein WPC

Ash

I know this has been discussed on here before but I thought I'd do a quick review.

I usually order a 20Kg bag of Fonterra Alacen 450 WPC and split it between some mates but with no takers this time round, I looked for some other options. I recently grabbed a discounted 3Kg tub of Balance unflavoured WPI (which is good stuff) but I was after something pretty basic, preferably with no artificial sweetener and no flavor.

I stumbled on the Venom Protein site and thought that I might as well take a shot considering the price - $105 for 4Kg including shipping, which isn't far off the per Kg price for the 20Kg bags from Davis Trading.

When I placed the order online, I noticed that the site had a place for a discount voucher code. A quick Google search led me to a 20% off code, which worked and pulled the price down to just under $84. Things were looking good, assuming the product turned out to be OK.

I ordered on Tuesday morning, the WPC arrived in Auckland this morning (Thursday) complete with a decent quality shaker bottle and a voucher valid for 30 days for $20 off the next order. The WPC is packed in a bag and shipped from an address in Lower Hutt, so it's not coming in from Australia (it doesn't seem to state a country of origin anywhere on the packaging or the invoice though, so who knows where it's made). It was packed on 07/9/2011, best before 31/06/2012.

There is a nutritional analysis on the bag:

Per 100g

Protein 80g

Saturated Fat 0g

Fat 0.25g

Carbs 1.25g

Now those numbers look a little off to me. The Alacen 450 WPC is listed as:

Per 100g

Protein 79.8g

Saturated Fat 5.1g

Fat 7.2g

Carbs 6.1g

So I can't quite see how the Venom WPC can be that low in fat and carbs - what's the other 18% of the product made up of? The Venom site states no fillers or additives at all...

It does have a flavor listed in the ingredients along with a stack of essential protein fractions - Aloha Lactalvumin (that's meant to be "Alpha Lactalbumin" I guess), Beta Lactoglobulin, Serum Albumin, Lactoferrin, Immunoglogulins, Lactoperoxidase. From what I can tell, these are parts of the whey itself, not additives (Flex - this is where you come in :) ).

The Venom WPC mixes up really easily because it's an instantised concentrate and the taste isn't bad. It's not as creamy as the Alacen 450 and has a bit of a strange background taste to it but that's quite mild and the overall taste is entirely palatable in plain old water. It would be fine blended up with some milk and fruit or with some Milo.

I'll email Venom and see if I can get some clarification on those numbers. Assuming they can sort that out, this might just be a decent option for me so I can spend my $$$ on other supplements instead of expensive whey.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the great review Ash!

I am currently using Bioplex protein, I buy it in 22LB buckets, and I thought I was getting a good deal, then someone told me about Davis Trading,and now i'm hearing about Venom, Which do you prefer? Fonterra or Venom?

Mixability, taste etc?

Also how many servings are in the 4kg bucket?

I am currently using Bioplex protein, I buy it in 22LB buckets, and I thought I was getting a good deal, then someone told me about Davis Trading,and now i'm hearing about Venom, Which do you prefer? Fonterra or Venom?

Mixability, taste etc?

No worries mate. The Venom serving is 40g, so there are 100 servings in the bag. It's got about the same protein content as the Fonterra stuff and the price is so close as to make no difference really.

That said, I reckon the Fonterra Alacen 450 WPC does mix a tiny bit easier and I prefer its taste, or more specifically the lack of taste. The other thing to consider is that the Fonterra nutrition breakdown is probably very accurate but Venom's seems out of whack. I haven't heard back from them yet, and I'm not 100% convinced that their fat and carb levels are correct.

If you're happy with the initial outlay for the 20kg bag (and the storage issues), then the Fonterra stuff is the go IMHO.

Mixability, taste etc?

No worries mate. The Venom serving is 40g, so there are 100 servings in the bag. It's got about the same protein content as the Fonterra stuff and the price is so close as to make no difference really.

That said, I reckon the Fonterra Alacen 450 WPC does mix a tiny bit easier and I prefer its taste, or more specifically the lack of taste. The other thing to consider is that the Fonterra nutrition breakdown is probably very accurate but Venom's seems out of whack. I haven't heard back from them yet, and I'm not 100% convinced that their fat and carb levels are correct.

If you're happy with the initial outlay for the 20kg bag (and the storage issues), then the Fonterra stuff is the go IMHO.

How much does the fonterra cost and how many serves?

Also what do u add for flavouring? must be pretty boring unflavoured?

i bought a bag a while ago and it cost me $425 for the 20kg bag including shipping. The amount of serves depends on the quantity you define as a serving (its 80% protein). yeah its boring but not unpleasant. I either chucked mine in the blender with some milk and a banana or cut it with a small amount of flavoured protein

What hhhh1 said :)

The price of the big bags from Davis Trading seems to vary depending on when you order but $400-$430 seems about right. A 20kg bag should give you around 500 x 40 gram serves, which would last me ages - not sure how many you get through every day.

I don't mind the Fonterra or Venom taste just in water but because they're so plain, they tend to go well with anything else - berries, bananas, Milo, Nestle Strawberry or even in pancakes.

I know this is a very stupid question but my spidy senses are going a little crazy. How is venom able sell their whey for so little compared to some of the other local companies. Some of them hardly make alot of profit at all and then venom comes and basically well undercuts most of them. Or do i just have the wrong end of the stick here.

I know this is a very stupid question but my spidy senses are going a little crazy. How is venom able sell their whey for so little compared to some of the other local companies. Some of them hardly make alot of profit at all and then venom comes and basically well undercuts most of them. Or do i just have the wrong end of the stick here.

I thought the same thing but this Adam Stuart guy puts himself behind his product and he sells across Aus too. Gives me confidence there isn't anything dodgy going on.

It tastes fine, mixes fine, approx same price as Davis Trading but you can buy it in smaller amounts.

winwinwinwinwin

Oh and I recommend shaking it up with

-100mL water

-100mL milk

-double shot of coffee (or a few tsp instant if you don't have a machine)

-2 scoops powder

Chuck it in the fridge to chill it and knock it back before you hit the gym. Goes down so easy.

THANKS for the recipe man, I'm on Venom too :)

did the maths and looks like what I get from Xtreme Nutrition works out cheaper than Venom and Fonterra.

22LB Bucket Bioplex Choc or Vanilla flavoured concentrate $280.00

= 389 servings @ 20g protein a serve.

thats 71c a shake.

I realise the Venom servings are at 30Gram of protein a serve, but even if you worked it out at 20 gram serves Bioplex is still cheaper.

Btw I wasnt the best at maths at school so please correct me if im wrong :oops:

But from my maths it looks like Bioplex is the winner? \:D/

did the maths and looks like what I get from Xtreme Nutrition works out cheaper than Venom and Fonterra.

thats 71c a shake.

I realise the Venom servings are at 30Gram of protein a serve, but even if you worked it out at 20 gram serves Bioplex is still cheaper.

Bioplex at $280 for 22lb is $560 for 20kg

Fonterra h1 said was $400-$430 for 20kg

Venom at $84 for 4kg is $420 for 20kg

Bioplex loses by $130-$160 per 20 kilos

Oh and I recommend shaking it up with

-100mL water

-100mL milk

-double shot of coffee (or a few tsp instant if you don't have a machine)

-2 scoops powder

Chuck it in the fridge to chill it and knock it back before you hit the gym. Goes down so easy.

THANKS for the recipe man, I'm on Venom too :)

sweetas bro

thats 71c a shake.

Bioplex at $280 for 22lb is $560 for 20kg

Fonterra h1 said was $400-$430 for 20kg

Venom at $84 for 4kg is $420 for 20kg

Bioplex loses by $130-$160 per 20 kilos

Yes but u have too compare apples with apples, bioplex is flavoured and for venom flavoured its $115 for 4kg on the website, and $105 for unflavoured(not sure where u got $84 from)

Yes but u have too compare apples with apples, bioplex is flavoured and for venom flavoured its $115 for 4kg on the website, and $105 for unflavoured(not sure where u got $84 from)
When I placed the order online, I noticed that the site had a place for a discount voucher code. A quick Google search led me to a 20% off code, which worked and pulled the price down to just under $84. Things were looking good, assuming the product turned out to be OK.

I value unflavoured over flavoured when it comes to buying bulk. You have the freedom of switching things up when you've gone through 5 kilos.

If you want to compare flavoured though

115 x 0.8 = 92

$92 x 5 = $460

Still saving 100 bucks.

Mate 20% off is awesome! Thanks for the tip and calculations, looks like Venom will be my next protein, how long u been on it? What do u think of it?As in mixibility etc

Yeah mate. I didn't know about a 20% off code so I only got $5 off my first order and $20 off my second order.

I'm only about a quarter way through my first bag but have had no problems so far. It mixes easily in the shaker they give you, no clumps at all. I don't know what the flavoured tastes like but if I were you I would go for the unflavoured which you can barely taste (depending what you mix it with).

I don't imagine that 20% off code will work for much longer though...

Mate 20% off is awesome! Thanks for the tip and calculations, looks like Venom will be my next protein, how long u been on it? What do u think of it?As in mixibility etc

im just about done my first 4kilo. its awesome, i find it drinkable with just water. mixes alright may want to throw in the little spring ball you get with your shaker. just buy it bro.

Yeah mate. I didn't know about a 20% off code so I only got $5 off my first order and $20 off my second order.

I'm only about a quarter way through my first bag but have had no problems so far. It mixes easily in the shaker they give you, no clumps at all. I don't know what the flavoured tastes like but if I were you I would go for the unflavoured which you can barely taste (depending what you mix it with).

I don't imagine that 20% off code will work for much longer though...

Hey Jigs,

Ive already had me first order about to go for me second but cannot see anywhere, where im entitled to $20 off second order?