Smolov: Review

drizzt

After having a few people ask me about Smolov and my thoughts on it, I wrote a review on how I felt it went... almost 3 months ago - a few days after setting my new PB in the Auckland Novice comp :oops: I had it sitting in a folder on my Work PC, and came across it today, so I thought I'd post up and share for anyone considering something like this. Questions and comments are more than welcome :) (inb4 tl/dr)

Smolov Review

Just thought I’d type out a few lines on my thoughts and impressions of the Smolov Squat routine, and maybe this will help someone thinking about entering into something as stupidly hard as this. This will be a longish read, so for most people I’d suggest skipping to the summary below :pfft:

As a bit of background, I entered into Smolov with my best squat (belt only) being a very tough 185kg, which was set about 4 months before beginning Smolov. I had somewhat plateaued after setting an easy 180kg the previous year, then going through a 13-week RV Sheiko routine only to see a pitiful, rough, 5kg gain on my squat.

A month or so prior to embarking on this crazy journey, I failed a 190kg squat in competition (stalled halfway up), but I did nail an easy-ish 175kg squat for the previous attempt in the same comp, so I decided to estimate my 1RM for the program as 180kg. I felt this was probably an accurate assessment of what I was capable of at the time, without grossly under or overestimating it. However if you must do either, I’d suggest you underestimate. Trust me.

We begun with the Introductory Microcycle – which some people skip entirely, but I suggest you do it if you only squat 1 or 2 times a week. This primes you for the workload to come in the Base Cycle. My training partner and I had been following a Westside-style routine of one ME and one DE squat session per week for a couple of months leading into Smolov. The weights in this cycle aren’t particularly challenging (at least, they don’t appear to be on paper), but the muscle soreness from 3 consecutive days of squatting to begin the program is a whole new world of pain if you haven’t been squatting regularly prior to beginning Smolov. I feel this cycle prepped us well for what would’ve otherwise been a tough first week of the Base Cycle. The first week of the Intro Cycle is by far the toughest, whereas the second week feels much more manageable.

We then tackled the Base Mesocycle. Looking at the spreadsheet, this is where we begun to have doubts over whether this program was actually doable. As if 7 sets of 5 reps @ 80% of your 1RM on the third day doesn’t sound hard enough, 2 weeks after that, you’re expected to add 15kg to this weight :-s

But we got through it all rather easily. In fact, between the 2 of us, there were probably 2 days out of the 12 that we may have been in danger of missing reps, and on these particularly tough days, we either grinded through it, or chucked on knee wraps for a bit of an extra boost (which neither of us had used in the past). Surprisingly, the 3rd week of the cycle – despite looking near-impossible on paper - was by far the easiest of the 3 weeks. We were both astounded at the way our bodies had adapted to the ever-increasing workload.

For the test day at the end of the Base Cycle, both my Training Partner and I put on (a fairly easy) 35kg to our previous best lifts, and I came out with a new 1RM of 220kg. I’ll note here, though, that my new total included the addition of wraps, which the previous 1RM didn’t. However, in the lead-up to the 220, I hit a fairly comfortable 200 without the wraps, and I believe there was a little bit more in the tank here.

Next up was the 2-week Switching Microcycle, which is designed to give you a break from the constant squatting to focus on speed and explosive exercises. We cut this cycle down from 2 weeks to 1, to help the cycle finish in time for a Novice Comp to test our final numbers on. If I have one criticism of this cycle, it’s that it should’ve included 1 or 2 squat sessions per week in it, to keep the squat muscles going. As it is, you get 1 week deload before the test day, and 2 weeks off squatting for the Switching Cycle (1 for us)... and are then thrown to the Wolves in the first week of the Intense Cycle where you are immediately asked to head to near-maximal weights based on your new 1RM. We’d soon find that this wasn’t much fun.

So we punched our new 1RM into the spreadsheet, and if we were having doubts before the Base Cycle, we were now having second thoughts about whether the (aptly named) Intense Mesocycle was even possible.

The first week was torture. Hitting 5 reps @ 85% of your new 1RM (which was more than my old max weight) on day 1 was tough! And it turned out for me, that day 2 was too much. My adductors had inflamed so much from the harsh re-introduction to squatting, that I was physically unable to force myself to squat further than the 2nd prescribed set of squats. Disappointed and disillusioned in the demands being placed on me, I skipped the rest of the session and had doubts about whether I’d continue on.

However, come day 3, I did continue. I hit the prescribed weights (which were much lower than the first 2 days), but had a feeling the 2nd week was going to be more of the same if I didn’t change something. So, although it wasn’t the end of week 2 yet, I took the advice of Pavel Tsatsouline, who wrote:

If you are not in a good enough shape to handle such a macho work load and you feel very tired by the end of week two merciful coach Feduleyev shall let you reduce the weight by 5-7% in all sets without cutting back on the sets or repetitions.

So I knocked my 1RM back to 210kg (reflecting the 5% drop), and while it didn’t make the weights easy by any stretch of imagination, they were a hell of a lot more manageable than what was previously prescribed.

Despite the 5% drop in weights, I still found some of the sessions very tough, and almost failed on one or two of the sets. But we both got through it eventually, and again, found that the last week was the easiest overall.

After a week of light conditioning work, we entered the Auckland Novice Competition to test our squats under “real” conditions.

After opening on 210kg (35kg more than my previous comp PB), I got an easy 227.5kg for a 2nd attempt. For the 3rd, I went for 240kg, and got that too – slight grind, but maybe 2.5-5kg more in the tank here. 9 white lights, 20kg more than my last test, and 55kg gain over the course of the entire cycle.

Smolov Summary

Intro cycle – tough start, but not bad overall. Recommended if you’re coming from little-no squatting each week.

Base cycle – starts hard, gets easier.

Switching cycle – possibly unnecessary, but not hard at all. Would be interested to see how it goes when the full 2 weeks are done.

Intense cycle – starts nearly impossible, gets marginally easier. The name should be a warning as to how hard it actually is.

Overall, this program is difficult. I’m not gonna lie. But if you want to up your pathetic squat like I did, and nothing else is working, then you’re going to have to work hard to get it moving. You might as well give something like this a crack. But prepare to be battered mentally just as much as you’ll be physically kicked in the arse.

A training partner helps! If not to encourage you when you’re finding it tough, or for the peace of mind of a spotter when you are close to failure, then just to know that someone else is going through the same pain that you are.

If I had any advice about changes to the program, the one big adjustment would be to do some sort of squatting through the switching cycle (above the prescribed light box squats and heavy negative squats). This will lessen the impact of muscle soreness in your first week back to regular squatting for the Intense Cycle – which I found insurmountable on Day 2.

I bashed through lots of muscle soreness in this program. Almost every session there was some sort of niggle that would flare up - the type of stuff that probably would’ve made me quit sessions in the past upon feeling it - but you soon find that squats cure everything. Heck, even my Test levels rose more than 30% from start to finish :shifty:

In the end, I gained 5kg of bodyweight without a terrible increase in bodyfat, my legs (and ass!) have grown massively, my squat technique has improved tenfold (not yet perfect, but much better than the – in hindsight - horrible beginning technique), and I’ve put 55kg on my 1RM max.

This program works, but is not for the faint of heart. Stick to it – you’ll get sore, harden up and don’t skip things unless you are physically incapable of it - and you’ll reap the rewards.

Weak minds need not apply. That is all.

Very well written review Drizzt! Some amazing gains.

Questions. Can u only run smolov for squatting or can u apply it to your bench and dead as well? Would you run smolov again and expect to get good gains again?

Will consider if I ever get serious about powerlifting. Thanks for posting :clap:

Very well written review Drizzt! Some amazing gains.

Questions. Can u only run smolov for squatting or can u apply it to your bench and dead as well?

Thanks bro :)

As for running it for bench; I've read that the Smolov Jr program is popular for this - some people even run a Smolov Jr for bench alongside the full Smolov for squat (I personally don't think my shoulders would take that) - but the percentages in the full Smolov are (apparently) too hard to keep up with for bench.

As for deads, I'd say there'd be absolutely no way you could keep up with the demands such intense deadlifting would place on the body. I'd love to see someone try it though! :grin: I've been wanting to try a multiple-deadlift per week program (Coan/Phillipi or Magnusson/Ortmayer) for a while now though, but even those programs are careful in the way they set their sessions out... I might be in a better position to answer this question after I've done something like that :nod:

Would you run smolov again and expect to get good gains again?

Yes I definitely would run it again - intend to do at least a base sometime in the first half of next year - but no, I wouldn't expect such good gains the next time.

If I were to run it again, I'd probably expect a 10-15kg gain from each cycle, although that is pure guesswork :huh:

how would you rate this program for someone who is doing calorie deficit diet?

You may survive it on a calorie deficit, but I would say you'd be limiting your gains by doing so. I started Smolov on Leangains (got through most of the base cycle on it), and as unrestrictive as that was I found I just needed to eat when I wanted and let Smolov do it's thing :nod: I was constantly hungry throughout the program, can't imagine trying to restrict calories on it :-s

If weight gain is what you're worried about - I know a couple of guys who ran the base cycle and lost a few kilos. Because I was already relatively well conditioned going into it, I didn't see as much of the fat loss as perhaps guys with a bit more to lose did. Reading others thoughts on Smolov, losing a few kilo seems to be quite normal - but then ('scuse the stereotype fellow PLs :shifty:) they might have been carrying around a bit extra anyway. Could always cut rest periods down though, my TP and I just took our time.

Nicely written bro. Repped. Don't think you mentioned in there about extra work you were doing? EG. Did you bench and dead while you were running Smolov?

Good point AND assistance days on top of lol.

I guess that bench program was just to ensure our bench didn't go backwards got very minimal gains from it and didn't bother with deads as we were under the assumption of Squats goes up Dead goes up.

I'm sure Drizzt will go into more detail however stay tuned.

Nicely written bro. Repped. Don't think you mentioned in there about extra work you were doing? EG. Did you bench and dead while you were running Smolov?

Thanks bro.

I didn't want to stray too far from reviewing Smolov into the assistance and stuff, because - while relevant - I'd already written a novel and I didn't want to scare more people away by doubling it's length :pfft:

But seeing as you asked! :grin:

For bench, we ran a low-volume Gillingham template. One light, and one heavy session which coincided with Days 1 and 2 throughout the template. This actually worked pretty well as is evidenced by MT's gains in his bench. However, the squat volume wreaked havoc with my left shoulder... which probably would've been managable on it's own, but coupled with the bench it just continued to get pounded and exacerbate the injury. I started to miss reps and sets, and while my strength didn't really go backwards, the injury prevented me from improving. I've no doubt if you're not as broken as I am, you can run a low-moderate vol bench template alongside Smolov with good success.

In saying that... I'd also be faaaaiirly confident that you could do one bench maintenance session per week and that would tide you over quite well :think:

As for deads, I was pretty confident from the beginning that we wouldn't really lose a lot, but it took until the July comp (after going through Smolov) to find out for sure. With all of the squat volume, we weren't keen to compound our misery by adding in deadlift sessions alongside the squatting.

However, I've heard of people successfully implementing a quick speed-dead session once a week, something like 70-80% for maybe 6-8 singles could go down well? Next time I run it, I'd like to do something like that alongside it :nod: Definitely possible, but depends on how keen you are I guess :huh:

As it is, without doing any deadlifting apart from 1 speed session soon after Smolov finished, I got a 2.5kg PB on my deadlift. To be fair, that 2.5 was likely there before Smolov, but it's good to know it didn't go backward in either case.

+1 Good analysis as always with his write ups

I didn't want to stray too far from reviewing Smolov into the assistance and stuff, because - while relevant - I'd already written a novel and I didn't want to scare more people away by doubling it's length :pfft:

It scared us mere mortals what you were doing, oh to be 30 years youngerveryold.gifveryold.gif then I might get strongrolleyessign.gif

• 4 weeks later...
As for running it for bench; I've read that the Smolov Jr program is popular for this - some people even run a Smolov Jr for bench alongside the full Smolov for squat (I personally don't think my shoulders would take that) - but the percentages in the full Smolov are (apparently) too hard to keep up with for bench.

How are the shoulders mate? :pfft:

Hmm, some days are better than others, but they're arguably better than the first time I went through with a low-vol bench template, so maybe that says something for jamming them harder.

Also maybe sticking to the suggested upper back stuff and band pressdowns are helping :huh:

Can I expect my 180 squat to become 240 too?

Na lol jokes, I'm gonna give this a go. Yes, I might die, but if you cant squat, why live?

Honestly, you never know bro. I went through with a 180 max, and I just hoped to get to 200 out of the first cycle, and maybe 210-220 from the intense. Interested to see how you go :nod:

Hmm, some days are better than others, but they're arguably better than the first time I went through with a low-vol bench template, so maybe that says something for jamming them harder.

Also maybe sticking to the suggested upper back stuff and band pressdowns are helping :huh:

Can I expect my 180 squat to become 240 too?

Na lol jokes, I'm gonna give this a go. Yes, I might die, but if you cant squat, why live?

Honestly, you never know bro. I went through with a 180 max, and I just hoped to get to 200 out of the first cycle, and maybe 210-220 from the intense. Interested to see how you go :nod:

• 1 month later...
Absolutely phenomenal results. I have to ask though, is this all natural? I've read that the program is very hard for natural lifters and only really suited for those with a little 'help'.

Look forward to your response :)

Not a bad First Post for a Natural Powerlifter, :clap:those response's that you have read, are from western forums? They seem to be the only ones who cannot do the programme's, so they make up excuses for their own shortcomings. Read his training journal from the beginning then give us your view.

I am not to sure whether, he would waste his time responding, then again he could take it as a compliment.

OB1

I am not to sure whether, he would waste his time responding, then again he could take it as a compliment.

OB1

Thanks OB, I definitely take it as a compliment, you know your lifts are getting ok when people think you're getting "assistance" to get there :D

being that drizzt is a mod, im sure he will be checking whos 2nd account that is :lol:

Ha, whoever it is, is coming from a filtered address, so we'll never know :) Doesn't really bother me. Actually kinda sad it's taken someone this long to ask :( :shifty:

Absolutely phenomenal results. I have to ask though, is this all natural? I've read that the program is very hard for natural lifters and only really suited for those with a little 'help'.

Look forward to your response :)

First of all, thanks mate, appreciate the time taken to read and the kind words :nod:

I can say with 100% honesty that I was not "enhanced" for this program (nor have I ever gone down that route in my lifting career).

Speaking for myself here; while I'm neither for nor against PEDs as such, when it comes to a tested federation such as the IPF/NZPF, I feel like I'm morally bound to abide by their laws. I wouldn't risk the personal embarrassment of testing positive for something, nor the shame it would bring on my gym/training partners/mentors.

I guess to kind of back up my honesty here, I do have blood tests that were taken before and after my Smolov routine, both of which show my T levels are middling at best within the "healthy" range. Doesn't exactly prove I'm drug free, but it should support my case somewhat :)

I'm really just a guy who trains as hard as I can... and then eats pretty hard to back it up :grin:

My suggestion is to not let the negative advice that you've read from others prevent you from training to your potential :)

Any more questions feel free to ask 8)

Thought you were about to come clean there for a second :wink: . Can back this up he surely has put in the hard yards from memory only missed 1 session due to sickness something that you don't see too often these days many people always come up with some sort of excuse to not train, it's just one simple rule that SUAS has summed up perfectly shut up and SQUAT.

Sorry pal no offence intended and I certainly wasn't accusing you of taking anything, just wanted to ask in case I was just setting myself up for failure. I came across your review when I was researching Smolov and it's the best I've read, the write up and the results. My 1RM is 190kg, so similar to yours when you started so it's really amazing to see what I could potentially put on my squat in such little time. My only worry is my deadlift dropping.

Well thank you for the response and again, apologies if I have offended anyone.

Not a bad First Post for a Natural Powerlifter, :clap:those response's that you have read, are from western forums?

Yeah mostly American sites I was reading. I'm Scottish myself (I hope outsiders are welcome :shifty: ) but it seems to be mostly reviews from Americans that I have read.

Sorry pal no offence intended and I certainly wasn't accusing you of taking anything, just wanted to ask in case I was just setting myself up for failure. I came across your review when I was researching Smolov and it's the best I've read, the write up and the results. My 1RM is 190kg, so similar to yours when you started so it's really amazing to see what I could potentially put on my squat in such little time. My only worry is my deadlift dropping.

Well thank you for the response and again, apologies if I have offended anyone.

Hey cMac, no offence taken at all on my part, I can understand the scepticism :)

As for deadlift, I sort of brushed over it in my review, but at worse it stayed the same, at best, it got maybe 5kg better... I don't believe you need to train it during Smolov, but if it makes you feel better about it, speed pulls after the last session of the week can be done. This would probably be more for technique continuity/peace of mind than any real strength gains though, I'd suspect :nod:

You're more than welcome to hang around the boards and start up a training log, there's a decent Powerlifting contingent here who I'm sure would be interested in following :)

Either way, all the best with the training :)

Thought you were about to come clean there for a second :wink: . Can back this up he surely has put in the hard yards from memory only missed 1 session due to sickness something that you don't see too often these days many people always come up with some sort of excuse to not train, it's just one simple rule that SUAS has summed up perfectly shut up and SQUAT.

I got all excited and had my note pad out so I could write down some tips... instead all I get is hard work and diligence! Blah.... surely there's an easier way!!!!!!