Perfect poached chicken breasts every time

Diab0lic

Thought I'd share my poached chicken method as I have recently improved on it a lot. Note this isn't a "recipe" recipe, just the way I poach chicken. Once poached you can do a thousand and one things with it. It's a nice low-fat way to cook chicken and there's no cleanup of messy grills, etc.

I used to just chuck it on a gentle boil for 10-15 minutes, which works, but I've found this method gives a superior finish.

Ingredients: boneless chicken breasts, water, chicken stock cube(s), dried mixed herbs, bay leaf, cracked pepper, peeled garlic cloves.

You can add white wine and other goodies if you want too but just make sure you don't over do it. If you don't use stock cubes, add some salt to taste instead.

Prep & cooking time is 30 minutes, 20 of which you'll be watching TV.

1) Place chicken breasts in the bottom of a saucepan. Choose a pan that is big enough to have all the chicken in a single layer. They can be snug-fitting but not stacked.

2) Make up enough chicken stock with the water and stock cubes to properly cover the chicken (see stock cube instructions on how many to use). I usually use just over 2 cups of warm water for ~ a kilo of chicken breasts.

3) To the chicken, add mixed herbs (1 tsp), a bay leaf, cracked pepper and garlic cloves to taste (I usually smack garlic with the side of the knife to crack them open).

4) Pour in stock ensuring it covers chicken, and bring to the boil.

5) As soon as it is boiling, mostly cover and turn down to a low simmer for 5 mins

6) Turn element off, put lid on properly and leave chicken in the hot water for 15 mins. Strain off water (keep it if you can use it in another recipe as it makes a great stock water)

Done. They will now be soft and tender and very juicy. You can eat straight away or make sandwiches, salads or even freeze them. If storing in fridge, use an airtight container as usual.

Allowing them to cool down a bit in the water stops them sweating out alot of their moisture and so they should be nice and tender the next couple days too.

I'm probably preaching to the converted here but I'm sure there will be some of you wanting to try poaching. Enjoy.

(also keen to hear of any other methods if they differ much)

Thought I'd share my poached chicken method as I have recently improved on it a lot. Note this isn't a "recipe" recipe, just the way I poach chicken. Once poached you can do a thousand and one things with it. It's a nice low-fat way to cook chicken and there's no cleanup of messy grills, etc.

I used to just chuck it on a gentle boil for 10-15 minutes, which works, but I've found this method gives a superior finish.

Ingredients: boneless chicken breasts, water, chicken stock cube(s), dried mixed herbs, bay leaf, cracked pepper, peeled garlic cloves.

You can add white wine and other goodies if you want too but just make sure you don't over do it. If you don't use stock cubes, add some salt to taste instead.

Prep & cooking time is 30 minutes, 20 of which you'll be watching TV.

1) Place chicken breasts in the bottom of a saucepan. Choose a pan that is big enough to have all the chicken in a single layer. They can be snug-fitting but not stacked.

2) Make up enough chicken stock with the water and stock cubes to properly cover the chicken (see stock cube instructions on how many to use). I usually use just over 2 cups of warm water for ~ a kilo of chicken breasts.

3) To the chicken, add mixed herbs (1 tsp), a bay leaf, cracked pepper and garlic cloves to taste (I usually smack garlic with the side of the knife to crack them open).

4) Pour in stock ensuring it covers chicken, and bring to the boil.

5) As soon as it is boiling, mostly cover and turn down to a low simmer for 5 mins

6) Turn element off, put lid on properly and leave chicken in the hot water for 15 mins. Strain off water (keep it if you can use it in another recipe as it makes a great stock water)

Done. They will now be soft and tender and very juicy. You can eat straight away or make sandwiches, salads or even freeze them. If storing in fridge, use an airtight container as usual.

Allowing them to cool down a bit in the water stops them sweating out alot of their moisture and so they should be nice and tender the next couple days too.

I'm probably preaching to the converted here but I'm sure there will be some of you wanting to try poaching. Enjoy.

(also keen to hear of any other methods if they differ much)

I do this as well, however I dont put anything into the water, and I put all my chicken breasts in a pot. I dont care that it is in a single layer as I often stack mine in the pot.. This is a very easy way to do chicken. I love it. \:D/ :clap: :nod:

So simple and bet it tastes amazing, good read man def trying this one out over the weekend.

George Foreman getting the boot.

lol, you should see the state of my foreman grill. It's not that dirty, just almost worn completely out...

It does taste great, and you can just use water (if you plan to smother it in sauce or something).

Looks like stacking aint a problem too. Depends how much you want to cook at a time I guess. I only do a couple days worth at a time

I would normally do anything between 7-10 and once I turn it off I tend to forget that I have dont it anyway. After I drain I then put some of them into the freezer. much easier to use post cooking, then its a matter of pulling it out adding veg and a little carb and then reheating it in the microwave at lunch. TV dinner anyone. :clap:

i have my breasts all marinated in the fridge raw.

i normally use olive oil,cracked pepper

then a combo of the following depending on what i want

soy

minced garlic

smoked paprika

peri peri

general seasoning

minced ginger

cayyenne pepper

chilli

i cook mine on the bbq, normally 3-4 meals worth at a time :nod:

just brought another fridge/freezer to fill up tommorow lol

i have my breasts all marinated in the fridge raw.

i normally use olive oil,cracked pepper

then a combo of the following depending on what i want

soy

minced garlic

smoked paprika

peri peri

general seasoning

minced ginger

cayyenne pepper

chilli

i cook mine on the bbq, normally 3-4 meals worth at a time :nod:

just brought another fridge/freezer to fill up tommorow lol

*drooling at desk*

• 2 weeks later...

Just tried this for lunch. Put chicken in pan. Add water. Add 2 teaspoons Maggi Chicken Stock powder. Add 2 squashed cloves garlic. Add a shake of Masterfoods Italian Herbs. Then boil. How easy is that?!

When the chook was cooked, I pulled it out, and boiled the pan of stock with the lid off to reduce it a bit more. Added some broccoli, and called it a soup.

Yep, I'm a convert. Nice one, Diab0lic. :D

Now I'm thinking about all sorts of other possibilities involving ginger, lemon zest, mint... =P~

Just tried this for lunch. Put chicken in pan. Add water. Add 2 teaspoons Maggi Chicken Stock powder. Add 2 squashed cloves garlic. Add a shake of Masterfoods Italian Herbs. Then boil. How easy is that?!

When the chook was cooked, I pulled it out, and boiled the pan of stock with the lid off to reduce it a bit more. Added some broccoli, and called it a soup.

Yep, I'm a convert. Nice one, Diab0lic. :D

Now I'm thinking about all sorts of other possibilities involving ginger, lemon zest, mint... =P~

Good job on re-using the liquid. I saved my last batch and made a risotto with it which tasted awesome. If you try your ginger & lemon one, let us know how it goes!

• 2 weeks later...
I'v been on these poached breasts for a week and a half now, I think Iv'e got a new addiction :pfft: .

Awesome recipe Diab0lic :clap:

I'm the same. Cooked using this recipe for the last 3 weeks now and

I'm definitely converted!

I tried it last night, had been marinating a couple breasts in some peri peri sauce, then remembered this thread and thought I'd give poaching a go. I'm convinced after the one attempt! New favourite way to cook chicken :nod:

Also agree! :nod:

Cheers

Danny

i've tried this and I have to say it was not that good. I think I will just stick to grilling or drop the chicken all together.

So you don't like chicken? What was not good about it? Probably what you did with it afterwards

Or before...

Yeah. I'm not trying to claim that this tastes better than properly BBQ'd chicken, cos lettuce be reality here, it doesn't...

• 3 weeks later...

When I do mine (9-12) at a time, I use cold water bring to the boil boil for 5 then turn off, and walk away. I tend to come back to them 30-45 minutes later some times it can be a few hours later. Its all good just leave them for a while and they will cook.

Last night I forgo them completely and my husband had to put them in the fridge, I was busy sorting out all our food to take camping and just forgot and fell asleep on the couch.