BeastBuilder

Comp Prep Week 1 Day 1

Squat

Squats: Topset of 180x5

GHR: Bwx12, 20kgx10, 20kgx10, 20kgx10

Leg Press: 1ppsx100, 2ppsx75, 3ppsx50, 4ppsx40, 5ppsx30, 6ppsx20, 7ppsx10

Leg Curls: 100 reps

Leg Extensions: 100 reps

Started prepping for the Canterbury Raw Champs today, guna be a 3 week prep plus a 1 week deload just before the comp. Doing a 5 rep topset this week, then 3 rep next week, then good single the week after (probably like second attempt at comp numberswise). Also since Raw comp, had to get rid of wraps on squats so today was just belt and sleeves, bit different but still happy with result :nod: looking like should hopefully get a nice total if all goes according to plan, looking for some of those Raw records in the next wee while 8) Legs are fucked after all this, could hardly walk but great session and will have video up shortly hopefully :P

might see if Alf will put me as a novice..

Novice? You will be cleaning up!

You should be able to use my knee sleeves at the comp. Haven't been able to do any heavy squats or deadlifts because of my back so might just do the bench then spot and load or ref.

Haha, well do I still count as a novice ? Might as well ask :lol: If not I'll be happy to go in the Open main one, but I mean better to have me as a novice than Fry :pfft:

Aw cheers, I was guna ask you that next time I saw you down at the gym bro, I just used Craigs tonight but not allowed to use them in comp..

Wait, what'd you do to you're back ? That sucks man, but now I might have a chance of placing somewhere \:D/

Haha, well do I still count as a novice ? Might as well ask :lol: If not I'll be happy to go in the Open main one, but I mean better to have me as a novice than Fry :pfft:

Novice pretty much just means that you are not registered with local association or NZPF. Benefits of being novice being that you don't have to pay registration fees and sign up to the drug register also you can lift in shorts and t shirt. Downside is that you can't break records or win tittles and once you have done two comps as a novice (1 bench and 1 3 lift) you have to register.

Fry just wants to be a novice so he doesn't have to pay is rego fees to do one comp. Maybe he should come in and do a skills test one day.

Nice Squatting man. I did notice, however, that your safety rails are a bit far away from the bottom of your Squat. I'd suggest moving the safety rails up two to three holes, so that they're only a few centimeters away from the depth that you're going for. That way, you'll be safe to bottom out on the rails in case your spotter lets you down.

Sometimes you may also find yourself squatting without a spotter around... and in that situation, you don't want to learn that you're not flexible enough to bottom out on the rails without getting hurt, because you put them too low. Hehe, I learnt that one the hard way... now, I make sure that they're set right every time... it might take a minute to set them, but I think it's a worthwhile habit to get into.

:-)

as the man said "thats good money"....any thoughts what ya reckon ull hit come singles time?

Hey bro, cheers :)

Umm singles it'll be interesting to see how the reps transfer over, I would have liked a longer period to ramp up in (say 2 months instead of 1) but i was loving 5/3/1 too much haha.

Hopefully get something like 210ish Squat, 135ish Bench and Deads are kinda up in the air but looking for a 260-270ish I'm thinking.

Novice pretty much just means that you are not registered with local association or NZPF. Benefits of being novice being that you don't have to pay registration fees and sign up to the drug register also you can lift in shorts and t shirt. Downside is that you can't break records or win tittles and once you have done two comps as a novice (1 bench and 1 3 lift) you have to register.

Fry just wants to be a novice so he doesn't have to pay is rego fees to do one comp. Maybe he should come in and do a skills test one day.

Oh true, glad you know what's going on haha, well I cant say I mind being on the drug register and I've already paid rego fees and bought a lifting singlet so looks like Open for me :nod:

I'll bring in the form and cash with me to the gym whenever I'm there and hopefully catch you there soon, might need ya there for inspiration on Bench tomorrow :grin:

Nice Squatting man. I did notice, however, that your safety rails are a bit far away from the bottom of your Squat. I'd suggest moving the safety rails up two to three holes, so that they're only a few centimeters away from the depth that you're going for. That way, you'll be safe to bottom out on the rails in case your spotter lets you down.

Sometimes you may also find yourself squatting without a spotter around... and in that situation, you don't want to learn that you're not flexible enough to bottom out on the rails without getting hurt, because you put them too low. Hehe, I learnt that one the hard way... now, I make sure that they're set right every time... it might take a minute to set them, but I think it's a worthwhile habit to get into.

:-)

Cheers boss :)

Yea I did notice that like as soon as I sat down after my set to, I was like f*ck lucky I got it and Surya has spotted me well before haha, thanks for the concern though, I too have also learnt that the hard way as Alf can remember I'm sure, but we shall never speak of that moment again :pfft:

I'll bring in the form and cash with me to the gym whenever I'm there and hopefully catch you there soon, might need ya there for inspiration on Bench tomorrow :grin:

Got touch on Thursday so won't get to see your bench. Surya got 4 tonight so you should take him down.

Squats looking good. Pity we don't have a video from the day you decided to try and face plant into the rack :pfft: .

Got touch on Thursday so won't get to see your bench. Surya got 4 tonight so you should take him down.

Squats looking good. Pity we don't have a video from the day you decided to try and face plant into the rack :pfft: .

Awk, dam you multi-talented people !! :lol:

Should do, just going for an easy 5 to build up to some heavy stuff, will do some pauses the week beforehand to make sure I got it down pack !

I'm rather glad I've only started having videos of my lifts now, because you would never let me live it down if you had it on video. You still don't let me even though no one else saw it :pfft:

Comp Prep Week 1 Day 2

Bench

Bench: 125x4

Incline Bench: 60x15, 80x12, 100x8, 100x8, 100x8

H.S. Incline Press: 120x15, 130x15, 140x15, 140x15/100x20/80x12

Flys: 17.5x15, 20x15, 22.5x15, 25x12

Pressdowns: 54x20, 60x20, 66x20, 66x20

Cable Extensions: 4 sets of 20, 42kg

Dam it.. Wasn't really feeling it today, should have been a good 5 on Bench but things just didn't go my way.. Was feeling pretty tired and crap, sleep and proper nutrition had been hard to come by with Cup Day on Tuesday and then a big as f*ck bike ride and up finishing assignments on Wednesday night, but oh well, no excuses !! 130 for 3 next week so will just have to smash that !! Still managed to get a pump going and chest is sore today so must have done something right :pfft:

Training has been fucked up this week, only training 3 times, I'm getting withdrawal symptoms !! Next week will be a lot more structured and planned, Deads on Saturday though, should be good !! :nod:

Comp Prep Week 1 Day 3

Deadlifts

Deadlift: 220x5

Wide Grip Pulldowns: 160x10, 170x10, 180x8, 190x8, 200x6, 210x6, 200x8, 200x8, 180x10, 180x10

Seated Row: 72x15, 78x12, 84x10, 90x8, 96x6

Happy with Deads today, seemed harder than it shoulda been but got the reps out and can't expect too much jumping the weight up after doing high reps for so long. Did some Lat work since I didnt get to do any during the week and I have to squat again on Monday so wasn't keen on thrashing the Hammys and Lower Back ! Had to cut it a bit short too as I had work, but still got the Deads in and some Lat volume in there too so cant complain too much :lol:

I have video of Bench and Deads I'll post up, Bench is interesting to watch, so is Deads, seems so much slower when you are actually doing it :pfft:

your one strong mutha!!!!haha

read at the start of your journal your doing 531 with powerbuilding twist. i was thinking of doing something like that but did some research and ol jim weldner recons its only effective when followed strictly to each rep. guess hes wrong cause its working for you bro. did craig hook you up with that progam? may need to pay him a visit.

Haha love the vids of surya. hes the man and the nicest guy, i remember him from the uni gym. good see his deadlift is getting strong, ESBB must be treating him well.

all the best with your training and competition bro. got some numbers in mind? you must be working up to that 600 total.

your one strong mutha!!!!haha

read at the start of your journal your doing 531 with powerbuilding twist. i was thinking of doing something like that but did some research and ol jim weldner recons its only effective when followed strictly to each rep. guess hes wrong cause its working for you bro. did craig hook you up with that progam? may need to pay him a visit.

Haha love the vids of surya. hes the man and the nicest guy, i remember him from the uni gym. good see his deadlift is getting strong, ESBB must be treating him well.

all the best with your training and competition bro. got some numbers in mind? you must be working up to that 600 total.

Haha, cheers boss :)

Aw well I'm still following his protocol exactly on 5/3/1 lifts, I just change up the assistance stuff and he says you can do whatever you want assistance wise so I thought I'd give it a shot, just I do a lot of bodybuilding stuff as my assistance exercises instead of one of his templates. I actually got Craig interested in 5/3/1, me and Surya decided to do it and told Craig to check it out and then yea, he's basically adapted it to his ideas from there. Don't really have a programme as such, just certain things I need to do (eg 5/3/1 lifts, back work etc) and I work around doing that however I feel like it :nod:

Yea he is a Gc, been awesome training with him, he's off to India on Tuesday till like Mid-Feb so I'm going to have to fend for myself till then :pfft: ESBB treats everyone well bro, you should come down and check it out sometime !

Thanks man, yea defs looking for that 600 total next month, hopefully everything works out as planned, although we all know things rarely go to plan :lol:

Comp Prep Week 2 Day 1

Squat

Squat: 190x3

GHR: BWx12, +20kgx10, +20kgx10, +20kgx10/BWx5

Leg Press: 1ppsx100, 2ppsx75, 3ppsx50, 4ppsx40, 5ppsx30, 6ppsx20, 7ppsx10

Leg Extensions: 100 reps

Leg Curls: 100 reps

Awesome workout today !! Happy with Squats, going heavy again is sweet, and they were quick as out of the hole, on the third rep I lifted my hip quicker than torso and so had a bit of a GM grind out of there but still all were quicker than the 180 last week :D Feeling like it's going to be a good week and comp !! Had a mad pump going too, must have been all those carbs I've been eating :pfft: In tomorrow for Back, will be good to get back in routine !

And to make matters even better I have basically finished my PT course, just getting it all signed off and then I'm officially qualified so world look out !! :nod:

Comp Prep Week 2 Day 2

Lats and Bis

Wide Neutral Grip Pulldowns: 170x10, 180x10, 190x8, 200x8, 210x6, 220x6, 200x8, 200x8, 190x15, 190x12

Seated Row: 72x12, 78x10, 84x8, 90x6

T-Bar Row: 50x12, 60x10, 70x8, 80x6

Straight Arm Pulldowns: 130x15, 150x12, 170x10, 180x8

Barbell Curls: 40x12, 50x10, 60x8*, 60x6

Alternating Dumbbell Curls: 20x24, 22.5x20, 25x16, 27.5x16

*Couple cheat curls at the end of this set, nothing major but wouldnt call them strict :wink:

Good workout today, had Coach on my case majority of the session till I went to do Bis (he must have been scared, jokes if you're reading this Craig :pfft: ) But yea made for a mean workout and kept intensity high, bit different training without Surya there now but I'll just make do ! Back feels like it's growing already though so must have done something right :lol:

Also got all my stuff at course all signed off today so just got Graduation on Friday and then I'm officially a working PT, one of the few who actually lifts and may know what he is doing (I hope) :nod:

Comp Prep Week 2 Day 3

Bench

Bench: 130x3

Decline Bench: 100x12, 110x10, 115x8, 117.5x8

Incline DB Bench: 32.5x12, 37.5x10, 40x8, 42.5x8

H.S. Incline Bench: 4 sets of 15, 120kg

Rope Pressdowns: 48x20, 54x20, 60x12, 60x10

Rope Extensions: 36x20, 42x20, 48x15, 54x12

Happy with Bench today !! A lot happier than last week !! Looks like Comp should workout well, easy get 130 with a pause atm so that's already better than last comp :nod: Get the Chest growing by thrashing it with some more pressing haha, then Tri's at the end, felt good today, must have eaten something right :lol:

Anyway, managed to coordinate with Craig today and got a vid of it

Inb4 phaggotry about my racking technique or the like :pfft:

Comp Prep Week 2 Day 4

Deadlifts

Deadlift: 230x3

Good Mornings: 60x12, 80x12, 100x12, 110x12, 120x12

Leg Curls: 3 sets of 20 with Stack

Westside Ab Pulldown: 36x15, 36x15, 42x15, 42x15

Glad I got the reps on Deads today, kinda had not a lot of sleep last night so everything felt heavy but managed to get 3 so I'm happy, means that next week when I've focused on nutrition and sleep the whole week one at 240 should be all good !! I think my body is still in rep mode in that the reps were quite slow and the first one was the hardest, don't think I'll go for 260 at comp now, think 250ish may be more realistic, would have loved to go heavier with more time to prep but I couldn't miss an extra cycle of 5/3/1 :pfft: Heavy Good Mornings for the first time in awhile, good fun, back, hammys and ass were feeling it so must be doing something right !

Got video, will put it up later on when Coach uploads it.

Bring on Squats on Monday !!

happy birthday.

wats the $$ for a PT up there for squats n shit?

Cheers boss :P

Um ya mean for like one session ? Everyone sorta has their own prices, Les Mills has like set charges and shit, the decent PT's out here would be like 70-80 odd for an hour ae, I'm sure if ya wanted to come up for a session I could work something out for ya though, NZBB Discount :lol: