Shin splits

total_gym1000

Hey there,

Ive quit smoking (yay for me) so i can take up running/biking again.

First few days i went bike riding which was fine, felt good, but i went for a jog last night and now my shins are killing me whenever i put any pressure on them.

Could this be due to inactivity and the impact is too much for them?

If so, what would people here recommend to slowly get used to running again, light jogs on treadmill increasing duration everyday mayb?

Hill running will make it worse. I had shin splints for ages, thought I couldn't get rid of them but by doing the right things got rid of them.

Dynamic stretches on them before running.

Lots of short extension and long extension stretches after.

Start out running on the treadmill or grass.

Massage - I had a couple of sessions on them and it was the most effective thing I did. After those sessions I worked into them myself with a small plastic ball I stole off my daughter! You could just use your fingers but I found working the ball into them really affective. It was about golf ball size.

Do all that and you should come right.

try running up hills

you tell someone who has shin splints to run? not sure if serious???

as above stretch the calves long and short ranges, ohter tight muscles can contribute to tight calves such as hammys and even lower back.

go see a physio its free on acc... why wouldnt u? acc is abit funny with shin splints as its not really an injury you get from a one off accident but most physios as pretty good and just word it right on your acc form.

physio will give it a hammering of a massage, then you will get told to buy polystirine cups and fill with water, freeze then rip half off and ice them alot as well as massaging.

run as least as possible x training till they sorted such as cycling, rowing, swimming etc.

this advice from someone who had shin splints bordering on stress fractures and was waking up in night coz of the pain lol.

physio for the win brah!

you tell someone who has shin splints to run? not sure if serious???

from his post it sounds like he wants to run. if it wasnt for this id say ride a bike or do something else.

i got really bad shin splints as well from running, but i found if i ran up hills it wasnt as bad as just running on the flat.

i also found when running that the heavier i was the worse my shin-splints got. the difference between 85kg and 89kg was huge. 85kg i could run every day for about 10 days before i needed to have a rest day. 89kg i needed a rest day every second day.

Another factor which hasn't been mentioned yet is the shoe. I got wicked shin splints when I started running with an pair of tennis shoes. I went to a proper sports shoe-fitting place, they checked out my walk, prescribed a pair of shoes that rolled my feet outwards, and it made a huge difference. Didn't fix it entirely, but certainly a vast improvement.

Hill runs are good, but you should never run on sore shins, they will only get worse. There is far less impact running up a hill and you are forced to stay on your toes (striking with your heels first is a pretty common cause ov shin splints). If you have a beach with soft sand near by you could go out and run on that.

These are just less impact alternatives to help build all the muscles up. I think shin splints are pretty common with the lifting type as it's common to go a long time with zero running while putting on weight. Not a good formula for when you want to start running again. As hhh mentioned bodyweight is a massive factor.

You should try and manage them as much as possible when you start running again. If you do too much too fast it's back to square one (take it from someone who's had major flare ups again after 2-4 weeks off about 5 or 6 times over the course ov 18 months).

Stretching is important, long and short calves. Also get a tennis ball into all the areas. And you should cut out all calve work in the gym while you're trying to build up your running as that's just another thing that's going to hurt your recovery.

Also I think a "proper" shoe is overrated. You will pay up and over $300 if you go to a place like shoe clinic and in my experience they just try and get you in and out as fast as possible. 90% chance it will not fix anything, you still have to train smart to get back into it. Just buy a decent shoe from rebel sport or something, you just need something where the sole doesn't narrow at the mid-foot area so it doesn't torsionally rotate easily.

Hill runs are good, but you should never run on sore shins, they will only get worse. There is far less impact running up a hill and you are forced to stay on your toes (striking with your heels first is a pretty common cause ov shin splints). If you have a beach with soft sand near by you could go out and run on that.

These are just less impact alternatives to help build all the muscles up. I think shin splints are pretty common with the lifting type as it's common to go a long time with zero running while putting on weight. Not a good formula for when you want to start running again. As hhh mentioned bodyweight is a massive factor.

You should try and manage them as much as possible when you start running again. If you do too much too fast it's back to square one (take it from someone who's had major flare ups again after 2-4 weeks off about 5 or 6 times over the course ov 18 months).

Stretching is important, long and short calves. Also get a tennis ball into all the areas. And you should cut out all calve work in the gym while you're trying to build up your running as that's just another thing that's going to hurt your recovery.

Also I think a "proper" shoe is overrated. You will pay up and over $300 if you go to a place like shoe clinic and in my experience they just try and get you in and out as fast as possible. 90% chance it will not fix anything, you still have to train smart to get back into it. Just buy a decent shoe from rebel sport or something, you just need something where the sole doesn't narrow at the mid-foot area so it doesn't torsionally rotate easily.

Your wrong my girl friend is a pod and she sees like 10 ppl a day with this - its your shoes or the calf is too tight pulling on your shin. You prob just got a bad pod or something. Weight is not a contributing factor.

Your wrong my girl friend is a pod and she sees like 10 ppl a day with this - its your shoes or the calf is too tight pulling on your shin. You prob just got a bad pod or something. Weight is not a contributing factor.

Yeah bodyweight isn't a factor if you're a 50kg marathon runner.

We were made to run mate, you don't need a shiny pair ov shoes to be able to do what we naturally evolved to do. There has been studies to in the states on marathon runners: shoe price vs. injury rate. It was found that the more expensive shoes they were wearing, the more injuries they were getting.

Unfortunately we weren't made to be 100kg+. I garuntee you, bodyweight IS a factor.

Yeah bodyweight isn't a factor if you're a 50kg marathon runner.

We were made to run mate, you don't need a shiny pair ov shoes to be able to do what we naturally evolved to do. There has been studies to in the states on marathon runners: shoe price vs. injury rate. It was found that the more expensive shoes they were wearing, the more injuries they were getting.

Unfortunately we weren't made to be 100kg+. I garuntee you, bodyweight IS a factor.

+ 1 at over 115k I get shin splints walking! It easies off as I get more conditioned but it takes a while. It takes me to be around 105 and less to actualy feel comfortable walking any kind of distance let alone run.