Building muscle without bulking

danellaj

Hi,

Maybe I've labeled this wrong but here you go, I'm looking to build muscle, but I am already very lean. How do I do this without loosing that leanness and having to eat insane amounts. is there a specific training type. I would assume lift heavy and low reps? but how much extra do I need to eat. Cause i believe people would normally build muscle then strip fat second. Anyway hope thats understandable... :shifty:

Hi,

Maybe I've labeled this wrong but here you go, I'm looking to build muscle, but I am already very lean. How do I do this without loosing that leanness and having to eat insane amounts. is there a specific training type. I would assume lift heavy and low reps? but how much extra do I need to eat. Cause i believe people would normally build muscle then strip fat second. Anyway hope thats understandable... :shifty:

you can lean bulk. this wont be as fast but you will build muscle without the fat gain. just eat a little over your daily calories so that you are gaining weight slooooowly. keep up the cardio a few times a week too

in order to build muscle you need a surplus amount of calories. fat gain may occur; being a lady, you are more susceptible to that.

theres no such thing as a "lean bulk." the reasoning behind this is, the propensity for gaining fat from a surplus caloric intake will always be there, but is superseded through supplementation/cardio implementation. with that being said, i also dont allow, nor want my body fat to come down too low while bulking.

in order to build muscle you need a surplus amount of calories. fat gain may occur; being a lady, you are more susceptible to that.

theres no such thing as a "lean bulk." the reasoning behind this is, the propensity for gaining fat from a surplus caloric intake will always be there, but is superseded through supplementation/cardio implementation. with that being said, i also dont allow, nor want my body fat to come down too low while bulking.

LOL .. why do you say that bro?. Female fat cells behave exactly the same way as male fat cells fundimentally.

The term lean bulk doesn't mean eating less calories - in general terms its used to describe a bulk constructed on whole, low fat and non-processed foods if you get my meaning.

General rule for females is their muscle development is likely to be more efficient between 18 and 22% bfat. But then there are exceptions to this rule as there are in so many other functions of the body based on genetics, age and physical history etc ...

Hi,

Hi Danella

I hate making assumtions without first getting a background on your your routine and diet. But assuming your doing cardio for an hour more than 3 days per week - I'd drop this back to 3 time at 20 minutes a session. Just enough to maintain adequate fitness.

I'd wait 10 days at that point to see if you have a change in composition. If not ... then I would add 200 cals into your daily plan - then again wait 10 days to see if there is a change --- if not then keep following that cycle of adding 200. Reason being is you can quickly adapt if things speed up a little too fast. if you start losing more condition than you feel comfortable - drop it back 100 but don't drop below your daily requirement + 10%. You also need to factor in that you will retain more water around monthly cycle - this could give you the impression it working - which is why I'd do it cautiously.

The boys are right though - expect your bodyfat to go up but you can mitigate it by adding more protein than carbs doing it like I have suggested. Protein is difficult for your body to breakdown and therefore uses more energy.

You can definately build and cut at the same time. IMO it's easier to do by maintaining fitness in short bursts and not over working.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys I work out now like that:

1. 7 sets of hack machine squats

2. 2 sets of barbell squats

3. 5 sets of lying machine leg curls

4. 2 sets of stiff legged deadlifts (12-15 reps each)

5. 4-5 sets of leg press machine calf raises

I have increased all these ramps 2 sets more and now I felt good and bulk any suggestion guys.

[quote name="Optimass"

General rule for females is their muscle development is likely to be more efficient between 18 and 22% bfat. But then there are exceptions to this rule as there are in so many other functions of the body based on genetics' date=' age and physical history etc ...

Opti. Whats your thoughts on the male equivalent, percentage wise?

Apologies for the hijack

General rule for females is their muscle development is likely to be more efficient between 18 and 22% bfat. But then there are exceptions to this rule as there are in so many other functions of the body based on genetics, age and physical history etc ...

Apologies for the hijack

Can be a bit of variation but more commonly the text books will say 12%. I find I'm better around 14% (endomorpho) but for most ordinary guys its 10 - 12%.

Apologies for the hijack

Can be a bit of variation but more commonly the text books will say 12%. I find I'm better around 14% (endomorpho) but for most ordinary guys its 10 - 12%.

Thanks mate

First of all there are three body types, endomorph, ectomorh, and mesamorph. Some people just tend to build muscle mass because of their genetic make up. If you are not that body type, jumping will increase some muscle mass but it is a cardio work out and is better to lose or maintain weight. To build muscle, the natural way, you must lift weights. Join a gym and have a trainer put you on a program, begin slow and work your way up, you will definitely build muscle this way, but remember to factor in your body type, some people will really bulk up where others will build muscle, look very toned and in excellent physical shape but never reach the "Arnold" stage.

Hope this will help you!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hi,

Some quick fire tips.....I suggest a cross fit workout type programme. Google crossfit for more info. This will add muscle (as well as a appropriate diet which I will get to in a minute) without making you too bulky. Remember also to do at least 10 minutes of stretching per day.

As for diet, don't go overboard on the protein, as this will bulk you up.

I suggest for you, about one and a half more protein in grams than your weight in kg's per day. So say you weigh 50kg's it would be 75 grams of protein.

Eat clean, at least 3 standard vege servings a day. Drink at least 3-4 litres of water per day. Goodluck.

• 2 weeks later...
Some quick fire tips.....I suggest a cross fit workout type programme. Google crossfit for more info. This will add muscle (as well as a appropriate diet which I will get to in a minute) without making you too bulky. Remember also to do at least 10 minutes of stretching per day.

I suggest for you, about one and a half more protein in grams than your weight in kg's per day. So say you weigh 50kg's it would be 75 grams of protein.

Eat clean, at least 3 standard vege servings a day. Drink at least 3-4 litres of water per day. Goodluck.

wtf-are-she-talking-about-.jpg

wtf-are-she-talking-about-.jpg

repped