Pre-workout protein bars (draft)

Android

Made a new batch today, toasted oats longer and toasted the nuts and seeds. Used less chocolate WPI and added banna essence. Also made toffee mixture from Splenda and mixed it in rather than coat it on top.

Awesome results, needs more toffee mixture bit crumbly but toasted nuts are outstanding.

When I get vanilla protein powder I am going to soak oats in a shake first, then toast that. Should be able to increase the protein content this way without affecting mixture or taste!

• 3 weeks later...

You just reminded me about those...I had to stop making them cos I can't eat them this close to comps! damn I miss them.

But after this weekend I'll be making shitloads of these and trying to perfect a pre-workout and post-workout bar that I can use.

I found my Nutro's advice of a shake and a packet of raisins for pre-workout is pretty good tbh but it needs more complex carbs which these oats in the bars give, along with the fruit sugars.

cheers man!

Tried making these on Friday Android, and OMG they are amazing!

I used cooking chocolate instead of sugar icing for the top, and Vanilla protein instead of chocolate (as my chocolate one had a thickener than made it impossible for the oats to soak up), but they were amazing.

My entire household would like to thank you for adding this delicious and healthy treat to their lives! :nod: :D

Glad some people tried them :clap:

I made another slab of 20 bars in the weekend and am so hooked.

The recipe I am using now is modified from above (if you've made changes post them up too, keen to try new things as well).

There is now no need to heat the bars they just go into fridge so only oven-work is toasting oats and nuts.

Can sit them on the bench all week and they stay in great condition.

Will try and remember to post it tonight, stoked someone's trying this stuff!

I just use sugar free/fat free pudding as the base for mine. Mix in with 7 scoops protein powder and 1.5 cups milk. Stir in whatever fruit you want to add then mix in 10 scoops oats. Put it in a square dish and leave it to set in the fridge for half an hour. Cut into bars and bake for 4-5mins on high just to dry the outside out. Inside will still be fantasticly moist.

Yours will lower carb, nice!

There's a strange nice bar from the States that never made it big here called the Larabar. I made it 2 weeks ago, not exactly hard to make the only 2 ingredients are: Dates, Cashews.

That's it!

But the combination is outstanding taste.

Just chop up 5 fresh dates and finely chop a 70gm packet of cashews. Mixing these 2 together makes 3 bars that you just roll in tinfoil then like a child you bang it into rectangle shape while still inside the tinfoil, cut, and unwrap.

The Dates seem to hold the bar together like PlayDoh it's the most simplest bar I've ever made, and tastes awesome. Only one place left in NZ I know of where to buy is Nutrition Plus Takapuna. Buy one and copy it like I did :-)

Glad some people tried them :clap:

I made another slab of 20 bars in the weekend and am so hooked.

I have to be so careful to limit my intake of these bars, cos I could eat 3 in a row easy.

They are perfect as a snack for me to take DJing as well though, nicer than a regular protein bar, and cleaner than taking a piece of steak (which I have done before!)

I finished mine last night, may have to start making them each Sunday night so I have them for the week ahead.

• 1 month later...
this may be a silly question, but Mike Zero mentions putting "10 scoops oats" in his bars - Same scoop as protein powder? (a scoop isn't exactly a standard unit of measurement y'know?)

1 scoop is about 1/4 of a cup (on average), so 2 and a half cups. I find the old scoops to be a handy measuring device.........4 scopes for my morning bowl of oats, two scoops of oats in my pre-workout shake etc :nod:

• 1 month later...