Pre-workout protein bars (draft)

Android

I made some protein bars today. Am looking to making my own and just playing with ingredients at the mo. My final bars will be full of carbs, protein, fats, stims, BCAAs, metal focus, and vits/mins to asssit my workouts.

Step 1 was building a basic bar and seeing what it looked and tasted like, here's what I put together...

Ingredients

300gms Oats 40p 170c 15f $1.50

75gms Almonds 15p 4c 40f $1

80gms Raisins 2p 66c 0f $1

50gms BCAAs $3.50

100gms WPI Powder 75p 3c 0f $6

30gms Sunflower seeds 2.5p 2.5c 6f $0.50

200ml Calci+ Milk - 11.6p 9.4c 0.4f $0.50

120gms Clover honey - 0p 100c 0f $1.50

80gms Prunes 2p 48c 0f $0.50

30ml Olive oil 0p 0c 30f $0.20

$16.20

150p 400c 90f + 50gms BCAAs

600+1600+810=3,010 calories

10 bars / 1 bar $1.60

15p 40c 9f + 5gms BCAAs

60+160+81=301 calories

8 bars / 1 bar $2.00

19p 50c 11f + 6gms BCAAs

76+200+99=375 calories

Yet to try one (have tasted and they are yummmy) but cannot eat one as it will blow my prep.

Shoulders workout tomorrow will have for my pre-workout instead of a shake and a packet of raisins.

Really happy that I have a use for the BCAA powder it mixed in easily with the ingredients and no taste came through from it.

Am getting soybean and pumpkin seeds tomorrow as these have a better protein profile to add. Also having this shown to the Vogel's Cafe Muesli product manager to disucss other ingredients that can help raise protein and lower the carbs (stevia etc). Thinking banana too but have heard banana chips come pre-sugared so have to look into that.

Looking to have a bar with Vinpocetine and Piracetam added for crazy mental focus just waiting for the powders to come through. Then will get a multi-vit powder as well as Vitamin-C powder.

Bit of fun with food as it's all I think of right now, and really surprised at how cheap these have turned out to be

those look pretty good android good ingredients bit of work but.

do you find yourself reading cook recipe books etc while you are dieting? i remember one time i dieted pretty hard i read all these cook books and when the comps where done i was like a hard out flash chef for about 4 weeks untill the novelty wore off crack up :P

those look pretty good android good ingredients bit of work but.

do you find yourself reading cook recipe books etc while you are dieting? i remember one time i dieted pretty hard i read all these cook books and when the comps where done i was like a hard out flash chef for about 4 weeks untill the novelty wore off crack up :P

Yeah me too, I go into bakery and by family muffins and choc cookies...I just love food right now.

The bars were no hassle had ingreds at home just mix all together with a spoon no need for power tools. I put them in the fridge to set to avoid cooking but cause there's no peanut butter used honey instead they wouldn't have set much, so in oven 20mins on 200 easy as

looks good

By pre-wo.... Do you mean 2-3hrs pre-train?? Or as u enter the gym?

Hey mike, I was meaning within 30-60mins before workout where I normally have a light meal, or shake and raisins. Think binding the BCAAs in food should stop them releasing within the usual 15mins? Am hoping when I add mental focus supps they also take time to release, may have to double their dosage?

Am gonna have one for first meal of the day but first am just on the way out the door after a coffee, for cardio. I have shake, raisins, and 9egg whites usually so this will replace shake and raisins nicely too. Ok now I'm drooling...time to run

Am looking for a high-protein low-carb option at the mo.

Last night I played with popcorn as the bar's main filler. Seems if I can keep the popcorn dry enough it doesn't compress down (when it compresses down you nee dmore and soon it's just like using oats as the main filler).

So I think I have to make to mixtures and then combine them to make an airy sort of protein bar.

Will skip the fruits and concentrate on nuts, seeds, soybean, WPI, and BCAAs. It should be high in protein and good fats given the ingredients I'm using.

Still reading into what options I have, the high-protein low-carb bars I would buy are mostly chocolate-bar style so there may be a reason for this...will see if my popcorn idea is workable first.

If you've tried a popcorn base this let me know what it turned out like please. Am considering things like lightly baking popcorn to make it less absorbing or moisture which would then lose it's crunchy airy-ness.

It looks like you're on to something good here!

Let me know if u want some whey to make them when you sort your recipe out... I've got about half of a 3kg bucket left, vanilla flavour. u can have it for free if ya want.

the stuff bloats me up too much ... I think I've developed some sort of lactose intolerance or something. it's just taking up space in my pantry so I'd be happy for u to put it to good use.

It looks like you're on to something good here!

Let me know if u want some whey to make them when you sort your recipe out... I've got about half of a 3kg bucket left, vanilla flavour. u can have it for free if ya want.

the stuff bloats me up too much ... I think I've developed some sort of lactose intolerance or something. it's just taking up space in my pantry so I'd be happy for u to put it to good use.

Cheers that would be handy.

I'm just going to perfect a light-carb bar and will catch-up with you then if you still have it. cheers matey

• 2 weeks later...

New bars and have to say these are the best.

Buying larger oats and lightly toasting them and then joining it all together with a toffee-like mixture means a much lighter bar, more airy.

Even though there is 200gms WPI chocolate you can't taste any protein powder whatsoever, it's just like a fruit and nut bar tbh.

Missus has taken one to work for the Product Manager to taste, he designs these sorts of things and gave me some tips to try out.

20g prot, 40g carbs, 16g fat

Mixture was perfect amount for the new tray I just brought. Half the apricots went into the mixture and the remaining half was left to sprinkel on top. Aftert that the sugar-coating is spooned on and that holds everything in place. An alternative would be to use Splenda which I am looking into and that with another change I am planning will lower the macros to: 20g prot, 34g carbs, 10g fat

Then as I make more batches I will slowly add in more protein, as long as I can bond it without introducing a protein powder look or taste which the older ones had I will.

post-2764-14166822838974_thumb.jpg

3 are missing from the batch, already in a container for me today to eat, replaces a packet of raisins and a protein shake which I have as part of breakfast and same for pre-workout. Same macros so suits me fine.

post-2764-14166822839223_thumb.jpg

Close-up they look as good as they taste

post-2764-14166822839382_thumb.jpg

Just got the feeddback from the Product Manager...

***** recon you did a good job for someone who hasn’t got much experience for making bars, it tasted good.

Few tips from him:

• Toast grain and nuts all separately to keep them crunch

• Then mix them in the same bowl

• For syrup, he will give me some free samples, best to use : oil, liquid glucose, “lecethin (don’t know how to spell)”

• 70% dry stuff, grain, nuts, fruit

• 30% syrup

• He said you could add flavours, I think you did add vanilla

• Also he said do press them hard

• Last step, put them in the fridge to set

This is starting to be a lot of fun \:D/

Yeah I agree with you chocolate fiends, have considered hiding some vitamins and caffeine inside some mint chocolate and run that over the top...awesome pre-workout bar with an energy kick \:D/

Here's the latest recipe I wrote as I made them...let me know how yours goes if you do make some: the rolled oats are the larger flake variety, usually comes in a budget brand in supermarket or buy from a Natural Foods store.

Toasted protein bar

******Bar Mixture******

400gms rolled oats 57p 224c 37f

200gms sultanas 5p 140c 0f

200gms dried apricots 5p 120c 0f

100gms blanched almonds 20p 5c 55f

70gms cashew nuts 12p 12c 34f

100gms sunflower seeds 23p 2c 36f

200gms WPI chocolate 150p 0c 0f

******Sugar coating******

100gms butter 1p 1c 70f

100gms white sugar 0p 100c 0f

1/4cup water

*****Instructions******

Toast 300gms rolled oats at 150 fan bake for 10mins, turn often.

Make a shake with 150gms WPI and 200ml water.

Mix oats and shake together.

Add 100gms rolled oats to soak up excess moisture in the mix.

Add raisins.

Add nuts.

Add 100gms apricots.

Spread mixture onto tray.

Add 100gms apricots on top.

Boil sugar coating.

Spoon over apricots and mixture in tray.

Cook in oven at 150 fan bake for 10mins then open oven door and cool down.

Total = 273p 604c 232f

15 bars

1 bar = 19p 40c 16f

not sure if you should add the sugar coating lol...

it is a protein bar afterall, wouldnt want it to start looking like a "chocolate bar"

Haha that's true, but imagine the taste :pfft:

I do like the look of chocolate chips on a bar and am looking for an ingredient to mask some supplementation I want to add into the pre-workout bar...e.g caffeine, Vinpocetine, B12, B6 and a few other ideas. Mint-flavoured chocolate would disguise these quite well?

not sure if you should add the sugar coating lol...

it is a protein bar afterall, wouldnt want it to start looking like a "chocolate bar"

Haha that's true, but imagine the taste :pfft:

I do like the look of chocolate chips on a bar and am looking for an ingredient to mask some supplementation I want to add into the pre-workout bar...e.g caffeine, Vinpocetine, B12, B6 and a few other ideas. Mint-flavoured chocolate would disguise these quite well?

the key here will be trying to find a low calorie icing to top it off. surely you could make something from choc protein powder?

mint flavour would be nice but again its a protein bar lol not a snickers bar

There's the chance to squeeze in more protein in a chocolate topping...the bar can't fit anymore WPI in without losing it's fruity nutty taste and texture but a topping can, compromise?

Just on the recipe if anyone does try and make these...

As little water as possible, u want the mixture to be as dry as you can. I had to add 100gm oats untested to soak up some moisture for that reason, not because of taste or anything. Just make the WPI shake thick as you can.

Also chop the nuts up of course lol

Toasting oats is easy spread onto tray and stir occasionally just making sure they don't burn. Slight co our change but hard to tell wen ready tbh, any heat on them will toast them to some degree so no worries.

And blanching almonds is easy. Boil some water and add almonds for 3 mins, take them out and put into cold water then the skins swell up and remove easily...blanching done.

Will toast nuts next time wouldn't hurt to try as most bar manufacturers do it preserves nuts longer and gives a nice crunchy texture.