Serious Fat Reduce and Tone Up

Mel6051

Hey guys,

I have just joined the site and can't wait to get some much needed help! :D

I am 18, female, 75kg roughly 170cm tall. Size 14 in clothes (pants only though)

At the moment I am going to the gym atleast 4 times a week and with each session I have a 2km run and either 1km cycle or cross trainer for cardio. Not doing any weights at the moment (yes i know this is no good if you are wanting to tone up). Just don't know where to start thats all.

I wouldn't say I am really fat or anything but i do have the good 'ol tyre tube around tummy accompanied with a rather unnescessary amount of fat around legs hips thighs and bum. Eating habits are generally good though I think i should be eating more frequently and should start with breakfast in the morning from now on!! Anyone know the best fat burning workout? Interval training? please help. Sick of not being able to step out in a bikini each summer. Will post photos of my body soon :)

might wana post your daily diet up, the ladies/gents here can help you setup a newer one/advise you on what needs changing

basically its kind of like this (sorry couldn't put any more detail as i dont have a set plan yet.

Morning 7:30am - Slim protein shake

Snacks- raisins or a piece of fruit, and sour cream and chives corn thins (2)

Lunch- some crackers with sealord tuna

Snacks- Orange/piece of fruit + 2 corn thins

Dinner- generally quite healthy- baked chicken and vegies or a home made stir fry or similar.

Hope that gives a fair idea of my diet :)

A varied and healthy diet along with cardio.

You cant spot reduce body fat. It is the decrease in overall body fat which will decrease fat in the problem areas as well.

Just remember, the more effort you put in the more you will get out of it. I really dislike cardio but when I'm doing it I always think to myself "the pain that I'm feeling now is helping me and going to make it easier next time". If you go running and do the same circuit every time record how long it takes you and try to beat it each run.

Try to win all the small battles throughout the day. If you choose an apple over a piece of chocolate cake that is a small battle that you have won and you should feel good about it. Winning these small battles will help you achieve your main goal.

Well done for posting the pic - and trust us, there are men and women on here who started off far worse than that.

Dontrun is right - there's a lot of good advice in that post. Here's some of my hard-learned lessons:

A. nutrition (don't say 'diet')

B. nutrition...

C. exercise - weights and cardio

D. Little Victories.

Getting your nutrition right will be a key. When even a reputable magazine like the US "Runners' World" recommends a higher ratio of carbs (and I say even because their goals are for running, not for fat loss), although your calorie intake probably isn't too far outa whack, the ratios may be.

Doing weights training, if done with the right intensity, will probably work well BECAUSE you're not doing it at the moment. A combination of some weights, with cardio afterwards (using the muscle glycogen to fuel the muscles first, then when the glycogen's depleted, doing cardio to tap into stored calories/ bodyfat) will also improve your results.

Don't rely on the scales - lean muscle is denser but not as bulky as bodyfat, so use pics (or the "magic test pants" - you know, the ones that dont.quite.fit.anymore) as your gauge.

I said "don't say diet" - what you're going to do is learn how your own body behaves, and change your lifestyle to suit. The changes are permanent - not a four-week South Beach diet that ends and lets you regress.

Little victories - every day you stick to the plan, is a win.

Test yourself - keep a journal of your training, cardio and weights. Like DRWK said, time your runs, or log your distance on the machines, and aim to add a little in the same time. No-one else needs to know, but you... but you need to test yourself. Even the strongest men and women on here log their weights to make sure they keep progressing.

Good luck :)

Thanks everyone. Definitely having one of those days where you feel on top of the world and ready to hit the gym hard! Motivation :D

Will head to the gym soon and update everything I have done and record times/distances etc.

Won't be relying on the scale for a very long time as I know that as you lose weight you gain muscle too. many people I know try to lose weight then get unmotivated and give up when they see a weight gain or no difference (when really they may actually have lost body fat)

Will post diet and gym log for today tonight :)

Thanks guys!

been having Internet problems so very sorry for the delay as I said I would post it earlier.

gym:

5k cycle in 15mins

1000m row

1k treadmill

Super set: arms 9kg 15 rep then 15 sumo squats. 3 sets of this.

Seated row 12kg 15 reps 3 sets.

Quadriceps 26kg 10 rep 3 sets

15 rep 3 sets lunges

Super set: 5kg bag on shoulder squat 15 rep then 15 bag lifts (triceps). 3 sets.

30 crunches

opinions?

Any good or should my training be more intense?

30 straight leg lifts laying on back

Keep on with the weights you have, gradually you will be able to change the weight of them, and variation. Also I suggest interval training as you have obviously been using the treadmill a fair bit, turn the treadmill up high, run for a short period then walk, continue this. Not to much fruit in your diet as this contains fructose (fruit sugar) try eat more complex carbs such as brown rice and kumara. Meats like grilled chicken breast, turkey breast and steak is great. Plain tuna is great, crackers not so much, try eating your meats with the rice as complex carbs take longer for the fats to release giving you more time to burn it off. watch the sauce you use on your stir fry too. Hot sauce is an awesome topping as well as it contains low fats and suggars, you can basically have as much as you like. Also I suggest a group class such as a pump class or cycle class, it keeps you motivated, you meet great people and the atmosphere is awesome.

Just a thought, might not be available or your thing, but have you tried group exercise classes as an alternative to treadmill or other cardio? They can be a great way of pushing yourself further than you might do on your own (on say the treadmill), as you have an instructor barking at you to push harder, and you also have others around you which can be a motivator. And they can be a ton of fun if you find the class that's right for you.

For me when I want to drop some weight I'm a big fan of spin classes. I absolutely detest cardio, and most cardio group exercise classes are not for me because of the high impact (I have dodgy old lady knees :pfft: ), but after trying out a few different classes and perservering through the first couple of weeks when it's just plain tiring, I've found that spin is actually really enjoyable and burns of a truckload of calories (I generally manage anywhere between 400 in a lazy 50 minute class right up to my personal best of 590 calories in a go hard 63 minutes.

Thanks everyone!

I will be using all these tips from now on. Tonights task: Go to gym and work hard. goal: to be dripping with sweat. Task: Find out aout group classes and join up.

Will also try to start posting my diet and gym routine everyday. This will help in two ways: I'll stick to it as I said I would post it. And will keep on track and get some great info for you :)

You've been given plenty of solid advice in this thread :nod: Cardio and interval/circuit type training to get fitter and burn calories, weight training to help maintain muscle and build strength, and diet to strip off the fat and provide energy for training. Stay consistent and you'll reach your goals.

I just have one little gripe with one thing said;

Not to much fruit in your diet as this contains fructose (fruit sugar)

Minnipumped, can I ask your logic and reasoning behind this? I know you're not advising her to cut out all fruit, but what do you consider 'too much'? If you're worried about the adverse affects too much fructose can have, I believe most studies demonstrating this have used dosages of at least 50g daily, often higher. Fruit is rarely the cause of issues with high fructose intakes, as there is surprisingly little fructose in many fruits. Remember, not all the sugar contained in fruits comes from fructose - it often contributes between 40-60% of the total sugar count. It's the soft drinks loaded with high-fructose-corn-syrup that are mostly responsible for the high fructose levels and negative effects. (If I've jumped to the wrong assumption about your reasoning, I apologize.)

In saying that, Mel (sorry if I've gone a bit too in depth for you, I'm just always keen for a good discussion :D ) I'd advise you to definitely keep, or add berries and apples as cheap, available, nutritious and filling fruits. Berries and apples are relatively low calorie when it comes to fruits, providing a good whack of vitamins and minerals, as well as fibre. It may pay to avoid bananas, grapes, and dried fruits as they're higher on the sugar/fructose spectrum, but there's no need to avoid fruits all together.

Thanks Chloee!! Some progress so far: Weighed myself today... and Im 73.7kg!! I think my first post was 2 weeks ago and I weighed roughly 75kg.

You are a brave girl posting your pic :) Won't catch me doing that. Love to know of your progress. And great advice by all, will use it for myself too!

Just had my new 6 week programme put together through a conaultation at the gym.

Looking like this:

Cardio

800metres level 10 on treadmill, 200m recovery at level 5. Have to do this three times. All ads to 3km. 10km cycle/2000m row/3km crosstrainer (my choice). I go for the interval training on the treadmill and add a cycle in usually.

Resistance

Body Weight squat: 20 rep, 3-5 sets

BW Lunges: 20 rep, 3-5 sets

36 kg lat pull down: 20 rep, 3-5 sets

5kg (each hand) Dumbell shoulder press: 20 rep, 3-5 sets

Core

Sit ups: 20 rep, 3-5 sets

Hollow Progression hold 1min, 3 sets

Reverse hollow progression hold 1 min, 3 sets

So far going good. not able to do 3 sets for everything yet as i get too sore but its still early days.

Any thoughts?