"Maggie Goes on a Diet" children's book

Pseudonym

An "inspirational" children's novel promoting weight loss has come under heavy scrutiny before it has even become available.

Maggie Goes on a Diet tells of the story of a 14-year old who goes on a diet and becomes the school football star. The book is aimed at children aged six and up.

The synopsis on the publisher's website reads: "Maggie has so much potential that has been hiding under her extra weight."

It's a topical issue with the rise in childhood obesity rates causing alarm among health authorities in most Western countries. But the book's equation of slenderness with success sends the wrong message, say local child psychology experts.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/diet-an ... z1WBZw1NnZ

The-cover-of-the-forthcom-007.jpg

Good idea? Bad idea? What do you reckon?

Obviously I can't comment on the book itself without having read it, but the idea, I think, is great. It's aimed at 6 year olds, kids who already have years of programming by Maccas, K-Fried et al, who's parents believe chocolate milk is good for them "cos it's got milk in it", and who's idea of exercise is a good thumb workout on the X-Box. If the parents can't be gotten through to, then the next best option is to address the kids themselves. True the whole "going on a diet" thing is probably not as good a message as one based around an holistic approach to good health, but then again, "Maggie adopts healthy eating choices and engages in a regular exercise program" probably wasn't as catchy a title.

As for equating slenderness with success, let's face it, that's a fact of life in the real world. Ok, maybe not "slenderness" per se, but healthiness, "being-in-shape"edness, and "not-being-a-heart-attack-waiting-to-happen"edness, hell yes. When was the last time a 400 pound behemoth won the Olympic 100m? Only in the rabidly PC world of social workers and politicians is it ever a good idea to emphasise "it's ok to be fat, lazy and unmotivated as long as you're happy" versus "get off your arse, put in a bit of effort and you'll feel even better about yourself". Even the fast-food peddler's recognise the truth of equating "slenderness" with success and happiness, why else are the people on Maccas and Coke commercials not morbidly obese?

My kids have seen me as a fat lazy prick, and they now see me as someone who eats right and trains regularly. They can see the differences in the quality of my life, they know "now Daddy" is a lot happier and more fun to be around than "then Daddy". They like that Dad can now get out and throw a ball around with them, or chase them around the yard, rather than sit on the couch. They don't need me to buy them a book that can illustrate the wisdom of making those choices. But other kids are not so fortunate, and for them, this book could be a valuable tool.

Obviously I can't comment on the book itself without having read it, but the idea, I think, is great. It's aimed at 6 year olds, kids who already have years of programming by Maccas, K-Fried et al, who's parents believe chocolate milk is good for them "cos it's got milk in it", and who's idea of exercise is a good thumb workout on the X-Box. If the parents can't be gotten through to, then the next best option is to address the kids themselves. True the whole "going on a diet" thing is probably not as good a message as one based around an holistic approach to good health, but then again, "Maggie adopts healthy eating choices and engages in a regular exercise program" probably wasn't as catchy a title.

As for equating slenderness with success, let's face it, that's a fact of life in the real world. Ok, maybe not "slenderness" per se, but healthiness, "being-in-shape"edness, and "not-being-a-heart-attack-waiting-to-happen"edness, hell yes. When was the last time a 400 pound behemoth won the Olympic 100m? Only in the rabidly PC world of social workers and politicians is it ever a good idea to emphasise "it's ok to be fat, lazy and unmotivated as long as you're happy" versus "get off your arse, put in a bit of effort and you'll feel even better about yourself". Even the fast-food peddler's recognise the truth of equating "slenderness" with success and happiness, why else are the people on Maccas and Coke commercials not morbidly obese?

I was going to put my 2c in, but I think you've got me covered and then some :clap: Happy Birthday too :grin:

It's a sad reflection on our society, but books like this may be necessary. The Push Play and 5+ a day type campaigns have helped a little, but there's still much that needs to be done. Why not books like this?

I was going to put my 2c in, but I think you've got me covered and then some :clap: Happy Birthday too :grin:

It's a sad reflection on our society, but books like this may be necessary. The Push Play and 5+ a day type campaigns have helped a little, but there's still much that needs to be done. Why not books like this?[/quote]

Why not? because sadly most of the target market probably can't read!

Should have made it a video game, instant appeal to kids.

It's a sad reflection on our society, but books like this may be necessary. The Push Play and 5+ a day type campaigns have helped a little, but there's still much that needs to be done. Why not books like this?[/quote]

Why not? because sadly most of the target market probably can't read!

Should have made it a video game, instant appeal to kids.

It's called Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas :lol: You eat heaps you get fat, eat too much, you puke, workout, you get muscular or are able to run further distances without tiring out. Behind all the drugs and murder, it's really educational! :pfft:

After having a read of the article on the SMH web site there should be more education on teaching six to 14 year olds on healthy eating instead of 6 to 14 year olds spending money on KFC,Mcdonalds,burger king and other junk food.When I see a overweight kid I think they are on the road to health problems.

When I see a overweight kid I think they are on the road to health problems.

When I see an over weight kid they are usually followed by 1, over weight parents or 2, parents trying to compensate food for love.

It's the parents that need educating first.

After having a read of the article on the SMH web site there should be more education on teaching six to 14 year olds on healthy eating instead of 6 to 14 year olds spending money on KFC,Mcdonalds,burger king and other junk food.When I see a overweight kid I think they are on the road to health problems.

what do you think should be done about it ratty?

Childhood obesity in the United States is a huge polemic and issue. About 17 percent of all children younger than 19 would be considered medically overweight. One publication, recently listed on both Amazon and Barnes and Noble attempts to deal with this epidemic carefully, with nutritional advice. This book, however, might be doing a lot of damage. Child psychologists and nutrition experts are saying that this book does not approach children's weight issues in a safe and sane way. Check this out: Maggie Goes On A Diet raises questions of childhood obesity. Albeit “Maggie Goes on a Diet” is about eating right and exercising, it also concerns about eating disorders. The story starts with the main character hating her body, and she makes changes because of that. The book is focused toward youngsters who are at the age where eating disorders can often begin to develop. For children who are overweight, nutritionists recommend healthy habits that will help them grow into the weight they do have, rather than specifically reducing weight because diet is not about STARVATION but about proper nutrition and proper exercise.