Juggernaut Barbell

M.T

taking 215 for a stroll..

thats how M.T rolls 8)

too much friction from those beasting punga logs cuz

going good guns son, what are you hoping to achieve on test day?

Sole,

Not sure this time around tbh a 250 would be pretty good I guess kind of more focusing on getting a good Squat for once for the time being. Aint no Big J 300 but a 250 would be a good milestone for MT

5x5 week 6 day 3

Squats

1x10 @60

1x4 @100

1x2 @120

1x1 @140

1x3 @160 b

1x3 @175 b kw

1x1 @190 b kw

1x3 @185 b kn

Bench

1x6 @60

1x3 @80

1x3 @100

1x1 @120

3x3 @132.5 +1kg chains :phear:

BBrow

1x3 @60

1x3 @80

3x3 @95

Towel grip chin ups

3x3 @bw

Comments

[*]And just like that Squats are back to the original 1rm weight lol shouldn't have mucked around with it 190 was a 10kg jump and was not there would mean i'd be forever dropping reps throughout the rest of the program so if I keep to how I had before I should coast ok maybe add 5kgs here and there if I know it's in the tank *drizzt is smurking at me reading this

Bench was ok pretty drained at this point already managed to get em all out bbrow piece of cake. Wasn't feeling turks so canned them for some other various workouts hitting the core up the only one worth mentioning were the towel chins. Good session bit of drama at the post WO munchies as Drizzt has mentioned had I known it would have been my only meal until 11pm lastnight I would have ordered 2 of the suckers.

*drizzt is smurking at me reading this

Haha not at all bro, only you know what you're capable of, if you thought it was there, all you can do is give it a whirl - and as evidenced by getting 3 @ 185, you probably weren't that far off the 190 triple. Just didn't quite hit your line right or stay tight enough.

I think not pumping the max up though, and just doing it session by session (say, 2.5kg rounding-up like I've been doing lately) is probably a better idea, as you can regulate it depending on the day. I mean, I've hit 280 before (recently as well!) but I'm using 265 as my max, and I'm still scraping through a lot of the sessions by the skin of my teeth.

I think it's probably better to view this program as a week-to-week grind, and not a 1RM testing session (as the max you changed to would indicate), you're not going to be at your best every workout, so plan ahead accordingly by giving yourself a little room :cool:

Pumping up the max doesn't do this, it pumps every workout upward, which unless you're cruising through everysingleworkout with ease, probably isn't a great idea.

My 2c anyways.

Nice footage MT, those squats looked mean! :twisted: :clap:

Thank you comrade Vee

*drizzt is smurking at me reading this

Haha not at all bro, only you know what you're capable of, if you thought it was there, all you can do is give it a whirl - and as evidenced by getting 3 @ 185, you probably weren't that far off the 190 triple. Just didn't quite hit your line right or stay tight enough.

I think not pumping the max up though, and just doing it session by session (say, 2.5kg rounding-up like I've been doing lately) is probably a better idea, as you can regulate it depending on the day. I mean, I've hit 280 before (recently as well!) but I'm using 265 as my max, and I'm still scraping through a lot of the sessions by the skin of my teeth.

I think it's probably better to view this program as a week-to-week grind, and not a 1RM testing session (as the max you changed to would indicate), you're not going to be at your best every workout, so plan ahead accordingly by giving yourself a little room :cool:

Pumping up the max doesn't do this, it pumps every workout upward, which unless you're cruising through everysingleworkout with ease, probably isn't a great idea.

My 2c anyways.

Valid point bro will stick with what I started with and if it's there bang it up on the day. It's hard with being on 3x3 now to walk away feeling like you have worked to your full extenet where as the 5x5 weeks we were smoked by the end of it, so it was more about feeling satisfied at the end of a session more than the weight itself I guess.

Dear esteemed Journal-readers, and lifting buddies!

Drizzt and I have come up with a very cool initiative, where we use our next powerlifting comp on the 17th of March (and the training leading up to it) to drive for a good cause. That cause is raising money for the Child Cancer Foundation.

So we'll lift under the CCF banner (without offending NZPF ), and hopefully draw attention to this awesome cause.

We've got a bit of a fundraising page set up here, so if any of you would like to be incredibly awesome and chuck a few bucks into it to help us meet our target, we would greatly appreciate that

Otherwise, if you're in the Wellington region, why not come along and support us on the day? It's 272 Taranaki St, at The Powerhouse Gym (opposite Wellington High School). Lifting will probably start around 10, but we likely won't be on until the early afternoon (guessing, can confirm closer to the time).

Massive thanks to any support.

5x5 week 7 day 1

Last night...

bw getting low but still under wraps :wink:

Squats

1x10 @60

1x5 @100

1x3 @120

1x2 @140

1x1 @160 b

3x3 @185 b +kw

Bench

1x6 @60

1x3 @100

1x3 @115

1x3 @130

1x2 @145

1x0 @145

Dips

1x5 @bw

1x3 @20

1x3 @45

1x3 @60 3rd assisted

BB rows

1x3 @60

1x3 @85

1x3 @95

1x3 @105

Comments

Very tough session today for myself mind was not at the gym at all have had a bit of external stress and I carried it with me into the gym a big nono in my books. Continuing on going on a how I feel for Squats and felt like 185 was there for 9 reps (paper had me on 175 pft) and it probably was for the 1st set then 2nd was pretty tough 3rd borderline 1/4 squatting but that is what I wanted from my Tuesday sessions a very high and hard day so make the Sat feel that much easier and be more confident about hitting 190 for 3 for my top set. Wraps seem to be getting a bit stretched as I don't get as much from them as I used to so looking forward to my new Titaniums to arrive any day now.

Bench was a big grinder tonight pretty smoked from Squats but gave it errr thang just failed my last rep of 145 tried to make it up then me elbow didn't want to agree from the unrck so had to slowly bring it down to my chest and get Drizzt to muscle it up for me.

Dips still improving slowly and rows feel good, I think grip has gone up leaps and bounds with these and heavy deads a good side effect of lifting heavy objects.

With all that said main drive for us now is the Fundraiser for the child Cancer foundation I won't spam my log everytime about his but will be chucking in reminders now and then to make sure you all know what we are doing and why.

Here's a wee video done by the mixmaster Drizzt

5x5 week 7 day dos

oh pin press

1x5 @60

1x3 @80

2x3 @90

1x2 @90

deads

1x5 @70

1x3 @120

1x1 @170

1x1 @200

3x3 @220

Comments

Today I felt King Leonidis looking at the Persian numbers going oooooh s*#t boys she's gone be a long day today better eat up. Did I back down from the Persians?? heck no took the challenge head on because that's what Spartans do! even gave them a good run at the final set before I eventually died. Had to split up the deads but got there in the end, last set was probably the best but I can say that because it wasn't filmed so you have no choice but to believe me.

Here's what I mean

5x5 week 7 day 3

Squats

1x10 @60

1x5 @100

1x3 @130

1x1 @150

1x3 @170 b +w

1x3 @180 b +w

1x3 @190 b +w

Paused Squats

3x3 @140 b

1x5 @60

Bench

1x8 @60

1x3 @100

1x1 @120

3x3 @135

BB row

1x3 @60

3x3 @105

Comments

Ah man what a great end to the week still buzzing as I type this up have about 20mins spare until the movers come and i'm living in town \:D/ 1st session this week my mind was clear and focused on the task at hand has been a stressful week for me but glad to pull it together where it counted Heavy arse Squats.

Everything felt strong today 190 was great didn't feel too slow at all maybe didn't look too flash on camera but i'll take it!! looking forward to attempting 192.5 or 195 next week :gun: Bench was on point too started off MM and switched back to my old stance and felt just as good, no failed reps good day for MT.

Props to Drizzt smashing his 260 triple today :clap: didn't give him much on the 3rd rep was all him good work big fella.

last nights session got no interweb at home

5x5 week 8 day 1

Squats

1x10 @60

1x5 @100

1x3 @140

1x1 @160 b

3x3 @180 b kw

Bench

1x8 @60

1x3 @100

1x1 @130

1x0 @147.5

1x0 @147.5

1x1 @140

1x3 @130

1x6 @117.5

1x12@100

1x10@bar

Jedi Squats

1x1 @60

1x1 @100 pb

1x1 @100 pb

1x1 @120 pb

1x1 @130 pb

1x0 @150 b

Bear

1x1 @60 pb

Comments

Not a terribly good session today Squats were pretty tough just kept losing my tightness and throwing myself off balance which is clear on sets 1-2 on the video so tried to tighten up more and follow the line of descent and came right in the 3rd set which I was please with. Was well finished and Drizzt still had a set or 2 to go so thought i'd muck around with some no handed Squats or as I like to call them Jedi Squats (via TT) just for a bit of fun and they felt good was only going to so a couple to kill the time before Bench but D was keen to jump in so we made a WO out of it.

Feels like a pretty good exercise we both could see how important balance is and keeping upright without the hands turns it into a very technical lift I likey alot.

Bench was not to be today I think i've been losing too much weight and for every gram I drop it's a KG on the Bench. Trying to up my cals now and definately for week 9 and deload week want to be well fed come CDs. Just could not pump up the 147.5 at all so dropped it back 140 was ok and the rest was the working sets we were supposed to do leading up to the top set then trolled a bit on the 117.5 and 100kgs D set the target I try beat it kind of macho thing, worked a treat proper f*@ked afterwards.

So with mucking about we didn't really want or need to do dips and rows it was nice to change it up a bit threw in some Bear 1st go at this also was pretty good, can see the weights going up once I work out the technique and grip for each of the lifts.

Nice work on a down day. I reckon those bear drills are a great way to get some well rounded strength happening.

Funny how you have a down day like that for you but if you look back 6 months you'd be dreaming about that workout. Hard in the middle of a programme but perspective is important. OH and I know someone else said it in Drizzt journal but damn you boys got some serious quads happening!

Nice work on a down day. I reckon those bear drills are a great way to get some well rounded strength happening.

Funny how you have a down day like that for you but if you look back 6 months you'd be dreaming about that workout. Hard in the middle of a programme but perspective is important. OH and I know someone else said it in Drizzt journal but damn you boys got some serious quads happening!

Just low energy aye think it's easily addressed with some good old fashioned food.

Hah thanks nothing special though, like SG says all you need to do for Quads is Squat literally the only leg exe I do and the odd calf raise.

Thought mine were ok up until the mid thigh then it goes albino too much wearing stubbies in the sun and don't even start on the permanent singlet :oops:

Next time we film at that angle have to go wide lens to fit in Drizzts massive Quads :shock:

Today's bro:

I noticed while piecing together the raw footage, that the best set you did (the 1st one) there was no mucking around, it was pretty much bend down to grip the bar, and lift in about 5 seconds.

The second set where things took a turn for the worse, I counted twenty seconds from the time you bent down to grip the bar, to the time you started lifting.

I'm not necessarily saying you should start "gripping & ripping" (a bicep :pfft:), but IMHO you're definitely out-thinking yourself here bro :nod:

Thanks for chucking that up bro. yeah I pointed that about a week or 2 back to OB the less time I f*ck around down there the quicker the bar comes up. Didn't feel like 20 secsonds :shock: but your right grip and rip ftw.

5x5 week 8 day 2

OH pin press

1x4 @60

1x2 @80

1x3 @90

1x2 @90

1x3 @90

Deads

1x5 @70

1x3 @120

1x2 @170

1x1 @200

1x3 @225 b

1x3 @225 b

1x2 @225 b

1x1 @225 b

Comments

Pretty convinced my OH pin press is not going to get any stronger just seem to have peaked at the 90kg mark no biggie.

Deads were up and down today (excuse the pun) 1 set started off awesome everything aligned felt strong hips were low just glided up easy. Then sets 2 and 3 form went out the window hips shooting up to the sky forcing me to round back the mother up which sucks for getting off the floor which in turn mucks up my lockout. As a result i'll be doing more deads after heavy Squats on Sat may even drop the Bench who knows just needs to be addressed sooner rather than later.

We have decided to drop next Saturdays session for a skills can't wait for that got an idea of openers now want to see how they feel. Stink buzz about Drizzt's back hope that sorts itself soon.

5x5 week 8 day 3

Squats

1x10 @60

1x5 @100

1x3 @120

1x1 @140

1x3 @155 b kw

1x3 @175 b kw

1x1 @195 b kw

1x0 @195 b kw

Paused Squats

2x2 @140 b

1x5 @100

Bench

1x6 @60

1x3 @100

1x1 @120

8x1 @140

Various bb exercises

Comments

Toughie on the Squats today triple @ 195 was not meant to be not sure why was getting out of the hole ok which is my usual sticking spot then coming up mid way getting stapled curling over and had to be saved twice (good bail out Drizzt)

Bench was s*#t had to make it singles 8th rep was tough so didn't attempt the 9th.

Heaps of bb to get a pump on for a photo HATE doing that get tired too quick good effort to the bbers out there.

5x5 week 9 day 1

Bench

1x8 @60

1x3 @100

1x1 @125

1x1 @150

1x0 @152.5

1x0 @150

1x1 @140

Squats

1x10 @60

1x5 @100

1x3 @140

1x1 @175 B wrap less pb

1x1 @190 B W

1x1 @200 B W PB

1x2 @200 B W DOUBLE PB? :-)

Comments

Pretty good turn out for a Tuesday arvo we hadn't planned on doing a wee test today but just kind of headed that way in the end. Bench was ok not too strong kind of accepting the fact I have taken a hit on that not by too much but doubt if a PB will be there come CDs thought 150 felt ok wee bit slow 152 wasn't there at all. Drizzt had an awesome hit out though got a PB there so least were not both taking a dive.

I wanted to do some deads today to work on form but also wanted to break in my new Titanium wraps. Boy did I break em in good probably the best Squats have EVER felt since my time at the House. Warm ups felt amazing nothing wrong with the body felt strong as very confident right from the bar to 175 very fast and tidy balance was on form body tight. Jumped to 190 to test out the wraps and honestly felt easier than my final warm up. So thought shoot ride that train chucked on 200 same process to a tea and that went up easy as well!?! So much so Drizzt wanted a double but I had already started to rack and didn't think I would be capable of it. Took 5mins rest and gave it another go and double was there 2nd rep depth was a bit off but a double on a pb I had only done 5 mins ago was pretty awesome small milestone for MT onwards and upwards from here.

Called it a day there we still want to test on Sat.