Protein Cake

Mike Zero

Something I've been trialing lately, thought I would share:

1.5 scoop protein powder (I used choc banana flavour)

1.5 scoop oats

200ml milk

1 tspn splenda

1/4 tspn cinnamon

Mix contents in shaker, poor into a deep plastic container & microwave on high until the froth almost over flows (about 2 mins). Give it 20s to settle again and give it another blast on high until you get the same result (10-20s). Without stirring, let it settle and steam escape, then put it in the fridge/freezer until it is well chilled. If you're in a hurry you can just whack it in the freezer with the lid off.

Quantities depend on your macros obviously. Should play around with the ratio ov milk to PP/oats you use to get desired texture. Will be different for different sorts ov protein powders. Should be a spongey consistency if you get it right. The top (when turned upsidedown) is almost like an icing where the protein has settled and hardened. Or you can just eat it straight out ov the container like I usually do. But if you want to make it aesthetically pleasing to make your mates jelly, tip it out onto a plate.

Tastes amazing. Would be great topped with some yoghurt and/or fruit as well or ice cream IIFYM :wink: (not that it needs anything else)

Macros for those quantities about 50P 40C and trace fats.

post-1138-14166822320775_thumb.jpg

Layne Norton answered questions about protein being denatured quite well on another forum -

"Does microwaving your meats degrade the protein?

Yes, so does any kind of cooking, but that doesn't mean shit, your body degrades them during digestion too. You end up hydrolyzing all the proteins into the individual amino acids anyway so it doesn't really matter

Cool thanks i just read a couple studies about it and wanted to get your opinion. i make 5 days worth of chicken at a time and just pop it in the micro when needed so this concerned me a little

No, it's no big deal... i never understood why people made an issue out of it in the first place

while we're on the topic of protein degradation, a old roommate of mine used to make hot cocoa with his chocolate whey protein and microwave his shakes until they were steaming hot. I told him that he probably shouldn't do it since it could denature the protein but he said he didn't give a shit. But you are saying its not really a big deal anyways?

It is absolutely no deal whatsoever. You see proteins are long chains of amino acids that are linked together by peptide bonds. Each protein folds into it's own natural 'conformational' shape depending upon the sequence of the amino acids contained within it. Heat and acid will both denature proteins which means they will unfold from this conformational state. However, this does not 'destroy' the protein, it simply causes it to unfold. The amino acids remain intact and are still available. Just to make my point that it does not matter if you denature a protein, look at what happens during digestion. Proteins are exposed to concentrated acid in the stomach (6 Molar Hydrochloric Acid) which will denature almost ANY protein. In the small intestine the denatured protein is then cleaved into individual amino acids, di, and tri-peptides. So as you can see, denaturation is a natural part of digestion and in the end it really doesn't matter anyway if you denature a protein because it ends up being cleaved anyway."

Layne Norton answered questions about protein being denatured quite well on another forum -

Yes, so does any kind of cooking, but that doesn't mean shit, your body degrades them during digestion too. You end up hydrolyzing all the proteins into the individual amino acids anyway so it doesn't really matter

Cool thanks i just read a couple studies about it and wanted to get your opinion. i make 5 days worth of chicken at a time and just pop it in the micro when needed so this concerned me a little

No, it's no big deal... i never understood why people made an issue out of it in the first place

Awesome bro, repped

while we're on the topic of protein degradation, a old roommate of mine used to make hot cocoa with his chocolate whey protein and microwave his shakes until they were steaming hot. I told him that he probably shouldn't do it since it could denature the protein but he said he didn't give a shit. But you are saying its not really a big deal anyways?

It is absolutely no deal whatsoever. You see proteins are long chains of amino acids that are linked together by peptide bonds. Each protein folds into it's own natural 'conformational' shape depending upon the sequence of the amino acids contained within it. Heat and acid will both denature proteins which means they will unfold from this conformational state. However, this does not 'destroy' the protein, it simply causes it to unfold. The amino acids remain intact and are still available. Just to make my point that it does not matter if you denature a protein, look at what happens during digestion. Proteins are exposed to concentrated acid in the stomach (6 Molar Hydrochloric Acid) which will denature almost ANY protein. In the small intestine the denatured protein is then cleaved into individual amino acids, di, and tri-peptides. So as you can see, denaturation is a natural part of digestion and in the end it really doesn't matter anyway if you denature a protein because it ends up being cleaved anyway."

2 scoops oats

1.5 scoop protein powder

150ml milk

Mix it all up in a shaker, tip it into a bowl or container and microwave for 2mins on high. Take it out, don't stir it but let it settle in the fridge/freezer until it's well chilled and enjoy. Gives it a great fluffy texture, tastes like a desert.

For this I think the sweeter the PP the better. I used banana flavoured whey which is quite weak (good for drinking, but not for this). Added a teaspoon ov splenda and 1/8th teaspoon ov cinnamon. Tastes amazing. Would be great topped with some yoghurt and/or fruit as well or ice cream IIFYM :wink:

I will never be drinking that crap again.

Will give that a crack, cheers Fry.

2 scoops oats

1.5 scoop protein powder

150ml milk

Mix it all up in a shaker, tip it into a bowl or container and microwave for 2mins on high. Take it out, don't stir it but let it settle in the fridge/freezer until it's well chilled and enjoy. Gives it a great fluffy texture, tastes like a desert.

For this I think the sweeter the PP the better. I used banana flavoured whey which is quite weak (good for drinking, but not for this). Added a teaspoon ov splenda and 1/8th teaspoon ov cinnamon. Tastes amazing. Would be great topped with some yoghurt and/or fruit as well or ice cream IIFYM :wink:

The old Fry would have just had the protein with water. You've changed.

Pic for ultimate justice, this texture was the result ov 1.5 scoops protein, 1.5 scoops oats and 200ml milk.

Already half destroyed before I took photo (couldn't help myself)

I like to try this :nod:

Would you elaborate on the size of the scoops please, or convert it into "cup" eg half a cup. If you don't mind :wink:

Thanks!

well that puts that myth to the rest then!excellent info agent!thanks!

Pic for ultimate justice, this texture was the result ov 1.5 scoops protein, 1.5 scoops oats and 200ml milk.

Already half destroyed before I took photo (couldn't help myself)

I like to try this :nod:

Would you elaborate on the size of the scoops please, or convert it into "cup" eg half a cup. If you don't mind :wink:

Thanks!

Just ya standard protein scooper, think it translates to around 1/3 ov a metric cup.

What i am eating right now- which is pretty yum ( if you don't cook the sh*t out of it) aim for 35secs

2 egg whites

30g nutratech protein powder ( or a a delish choc protein powder of your choice)

10g of cadbury cocoa ( depending on richness) or you could use cadbury hot chocolate - that would be epic

a little yoghurt, like half a pottle

20-30g peanutbutter ( melt this first, add a little water and make a goey paste)

combine all together so it makes a shiny squishy batter

microwave 30-35 secs at a time

BOOM!- healthy proteiny dessert

sometimes over cooking creates a rubbery texture which is strange... but all g!

• 2 weeks later...

1.5 scoop protein powder (I used choc banana flavour)

1.5 scoop oats

200ml milk

1 tspn splenda

1/4 tspn cinnamon

Mix contents in shaker, poor into a deep plastic container & microwave on high until the froth almost over flows (about 2 mins). Give it 20s to settle again and give it another blast on high until you get the same result (10-20s). Without stirring, let it settle and steam escape, then put it in the fridge/freezer until it is well chilled. If you're in a hurry you can just whack it in the freezer with the lid off.

Quantities depend on your macros obviously. Should play around with the ratio ov milk to PP/oats you use to get desired texture. Will be different for different sorts ov protein powders. Should be a spongey consistency if you get it right. The top (when turned upsidedown) is almost like an icing where the protein has settled and hardened. Or you can just eat it straight out ov the container like I usually do. But if you want to make it aesthetically pleasing to make your mates jelly, tip it out onto a plate.

Tastes amazing. Would be great topped with some yoghurt and/or fruit as well or ice cream IIFYM :wink: (not that it needs anything else)

Macros for those quantities about 50P 40C and trace fats.

u shud add egg whites and use a little honey to bind it together

pretty keen to try the cake out.

at night time before bed i have a cottage cheese popsicle.

-1 cup cottage cheese

-100ml milk

-2 egg whites

-3 tblspn milo

-3 tblspn splenda

blend until perfectly smooth. should be thickish like runny cake batter. Tip it into popsicle moulds with ice cream sticks pushed half way in (i have a popsicle mould etc specially designed for this thats how i came up with the idea). put it in the freezer. Once fully frozen take them out and let them melt just enough to slip out of the moulds.

Good for a hit of casein protein before you sleep so your body has some slow release protein to feed on. I've tried so many cottage cheese recipes because it always seems to taste like s*** but this ones pretty decent.

2 scoops oats

1.5 scoop protein powder

150ml milk

The old Fry would have just had the protein with water. You've changed.

u mirin' chefbrah? lol

I've taken a liking lately to having crackers with mashed avocado, cottage cheese, tomato and heaps of black pepper =P~ If you're after savoury instead of sweet it's the way to go.

Will have to try. Always on the look out to find new and exciting ways to get some cottage cheese in to the system.