Benching, optimal line of travel

In terms of grip width, what would you big boys suggest for someone ~6ft with longish limbs? I feel stronger with a narrower grip but it seems counter intuitive as the path the bar has to travel is a lot longer, I can get a semi decent arch going and have reasonably good back development.

Grip width is purely up to you but naturally with most people they will have a "medium grip". When I start with new training partners one of the first things I notice is their close/medium grip. It takes time to work out to a wider grip and I normally encourage them to start moving it out - normally 1 finger spacing at a time. Once they are comfortable with the new width, go out again. Like you have mentioned, being in closer does make you may feel stronger and tighter but you sacrifice ROM. RAW Wide grip max 1-5RM max benching is definitely possible but we just have to put in the time to get confident with the wider grip. My current new training partner has been with me since Feb of this year and he is slowly inching out to a 81cm RAW bench grip. When he started it was probably 60cm, now hes out to 75cm so it has taken time.

I think most people I see in the gym start with the bar over there eyes and touch to high.

BINGO!! Training them to position the bar lower down also takes time as well