sheiko.... SHEIKO!... cheeko!

tomsammce

what is sheiko i hear about it all the time on here and no where else have i heard it before... i know its some kind of training program... but someone even had sheiko delts on here the other day? what are they?

can someone please explain to this n00b.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Tom,

This is Sheiko in a nut shell would have taken me a while to type so just cut and pasted from my files.

Boris Sheiko is a Russian bodybuilding coach and renowned powerlifting expert. Several of his trainees have won national and international competitions. Along the path to prominence in the powerlifting world he developed his own training regimen, which came to be known as Sheiko Training.

Boris' training philosophy flies in the face of what most training regimens where you train each muscle group once each week. In contrast to this, Boris believes that frequency and volume performed at low intensities can drive progression and gains. In Sheiko Training, you repeat lifts several times a week, which both improves your form and drives growth. The key though is that the weight must be kept relatively low in order to allow your body sufficient time to recover.

I'll tell you straight up that the program is complex and if you're not into keeping a journal then this is not the plan for you. Measured progress is the underlying principle of Sheiko Training. In Boris' program, frequency refers to the number of days you train a muscle group each week, volume refers to the number of reps you for each muscle group and intensity refers to the weight-specifically, the percentage of your max weight that you're lifting. With so many things to track, you'll need to log your training sessions each week so you can see your improvements.

For the beginner, Sheiko Training can be confusing-especially since it has not been that long since it was first translated from Russian and most of them have been literal translations such as, "Trainings of arresters in the preparatory period." As a result, some of the terms and phrases can be difficult to understand for the layman. Also because its translation to English is relatively recent, it can be a bit tough to find detailed explanations of the program and its philosophies.

Sheiko Training uses percentages to manage your lifting volume. You start low and work your way up, increasing the percentage as you go along. For the beginner, the first bench press set might be 50% of max lift, then 60%, 70% and the finally 75%. Remember that although the weight may be lower than what you're used to doing, you'll be doing more reps (volume) than in a normal workout. In fact, with Sheiko training you may be going anywhere between 850 - 1000 reps each month, sometimes more.

In addition, there are three periods in Sheiko Training: the preparatory period where the foundation is established, the emulative period, which is more advanced and the transitive period, which prepares you to renew the cycle again. During the preparatory period volume is higher and intensity lower. Conversely, during the emulative period, intensity is higher but volume lower. And finally, during the transitive period, volume, intensity and the number of weekly workouts are all reduced in order to give the body time to recuperate.

There are a lot of different Sheiko Training templates to choose from depending on your level of familiarity with the program. Most Sheiko experts recommend that beginners start with training routine #29. This is a three day a week program that will help you get accustomed to Sheiko. This routine has you doing about 964 lifts (reps) per month.

As you progress through the templates things get tougher. For instance, in Sheiko Training template #37, the total number of reps for the month is 1093. Gains are also achieved by increasing the weight (percentage of max lift) lifted in the templates. Because of the complexity of the routines-keeping track of all those percentages and lifts can be a real chore, some guys have taken the time to make spreadsheets that automatically calculate the appropriate percentages for you, based on the one-rep max you enter.

Opinions on Sheiko training run to extremes. Some guys swear that they've made incredible gains following Boris' training templates with others saying that it's just too complicated and that any gains they made are negligible. Keep in mind though that because Sheiko Training is relatively unknown here in the United States, there really isn't enough information out there to say that the program isn't really effective.

Also, remember that the Russians have long been known for their expertise and success in developing some of the world's most powerful lifters and if you take the time to read the science behind Boris' training philosophy you'll see that he knows what he's talking about. So given that, I definitely believe that we'll be seeing and hearing more about Sheiko Training in the future.

From Me

Sheiko trains the movement, Neural Pathways etc creating a more efficent lifting pattern, if your technique sucks then this programme will make it worse.

WSB and other templates train the muscle involved in the movement, hence the arguement, over Muscle versus movement.

If you are competitive powerlifter then the Movement is where from my opinion you should be. If you are an Anthlete any sports then WSB 5,3,1 is where you should be.

Bound to start something lol

OB1

Great read Warren. One question I have about Sheiko. Do you actually get stronger following Sheiko or do you just get technically better at the movements?

What is your take on all this doc? Complex programs, westside 5/3/1 ect? What do you attribute your massive strength too? Progressive overload? Powerbuilding? Lol

Great read Warren. One question I have about Sheiko. Do you actually get stronger following Sheiko or do you just get technically better at the movements?

What is your take on all this doc? Complex programs, westside 5/3/1 ect? What do you attribute your massive strength too? Progressive overload? Powerbuilding? Lol

I have never tried Sheiko bro. But I know that the likes of Tonka and Stephen Prichard are also big believers as well as many at CBC and PH. I don't know that much about it but it obviously works.

I must admit I was (still am) a bit ignorant about Sheiko and had this view that it was for advanced lifters who had been under the bar for a while and had found their weight class and who didn't have any glaring deficiencies in their physique. Very few weak points in other words. However as OB has pointed out, Sheiko 29 is designed for less experienced lifters.

I was more of a fan of linear programs in my serious competitive days. A 12-16 week build up with increasing weight and decreasing reps. Coan was probably best known for this. Since then I have moved towards powerbuilding and incorporating max effort days (Westside) into my training. The main reason is that I believe that you need to do lots of additional work and build and overall and balanced physique to become as strong as possible.

For young guys and girls coming through I really like a form of Wendlers 5-3-1 with some modifications.

I think that any approach that provides structure is a good one. Structure gives a clear path and provides something to fall back on. But I do favour templates that are more "powerbuilding" based. As well as focusing on building strength, Westside and Wendler 5-3-1 do seem to place greater emphasis on working on weak points and building muscle. I do see a lot of lifters using bench shirts and squat suits and they simply don't have the physique to get the most benefit from these.

I do like the point that OB makes about differentiating between movement and muscle.

Yeah I mean I don't know much about geared lifting ect but IMO if your putting a shirt on to press 160 kg theres something wrong...

Jesus bro, let's not get into the raw versus equipped debate on here again. :)

Nah that's not what I ment bro, I accept gear is powerlifting but like you said people jumping into equipment when they don't have the frame to utilize it or a decent base of raw strength

I must admit I was (still am) a bit ignorant about Sheiko and had this view that it was for advanced lifters who had been under the bar for a while and had found their weight class and who didn't have any glaring deficiencies in their physique. Very few weak points in other words. However as OB has pointed out, Sheiko 29 is designed for less experienced lifters.

You're actually right. Ever since the Soviet days, Russia's had a very good talent selection and development program that identifies these kids at a young age and pushes a more well-rounded fitness program through childhood and adolescence. They don't begin specializing -- which is where you'd see the "beginner" templates come into the picture -- until relatively later in life, after years of physical activity.

Sheiko says that his novices start out at 13-15 years old doing nothing but playing around with technique, and they're encouraged to play other sports. The Russian methodology in general isn't big on specializing too early, precisely because it leads to imbalances.

Only later do you see the templates that we're familiar with introduced, once the lifters have nailed technique and have established RM numbers to plan from.

Beginner in Russian terms means "beginner to powerlifting", not "beginner to training". A Russian kid who's grown up active and well-rounded isn't quite the same thing as your regular gym-junkie who decides to take the 29 for a one or two month ride. Westerners don't have the context of the Russian athletes.

Yeah I mean I don't know much about geared lifting ect but IMO if your putting a shirt on to press 160 kg theres something wrong...

Jesus bro, let's not get into the raw versus equipped debate on here again. :)

Nah that's not what I ment bro, I accept gear is powerlifting but like you said people jumping into equipment when they don't have the frame to utilize it or a decent base of raw strength

I'm with you bro. The issue is that equipment is so much harder to master these days. I don't want to start talking about the old days :) but I can recall when I used a brand new squat suit on the day of every competition. Yes brand new. They were Marathon Supersuits and they were beautiful. You would never dream of lifting in a suit that you hadn't "dialed in" nowadays.

My point is that lifters often don't have an off season where they lift raw and focus on improving their physiques. Some do of course but the equipment is so difficult to conquer that you need to be using it as much as possible to both master it and get as much benefit as possible and also to "dial it in".

Sorry we are getting away from Sheiko...

TWL mentions the shirt a lot - bro whats your bench 1RM?..get it out in the open and off your chest so to speak :lol:

Chuck a 2 sec pause in at the bottom for us too :wink:

Doc is right...you dont just put on the"magic" shirt and hey presto! a 200kg bench pops up. This shit is damn hard work and difficult to master...something I for one am not very good at yet and do prefer raw lifting mostly due to how frustrating the equipped lifting can be.

I dont think Sheiko is the be all and end all of programs for strength gains as its more designed for a lifter "competing" in powerlifting. The gains for newbies to the sport can be huge though and its not uncommon to hear of 30+kgs increases in totals over relatively short cycles eg 8-9 weeks, 13 weeks etc. A little more than "newbie gains" going on here?

Even the best lifters still make pretty good gains in a relatively short period of time...Stephen Pritchards name was mentioned for this very reason. Some of the PH and CBC crew too have gotten good results too.

From what Ive seen in the past 2 years (I know its not long so far as observation goes) sheiko would be one of the better programs to follow if you were interested in pursuing PL as a sport. Wendlers too if adapted to IPF style lifts (eg no mono lifts so no real need for wide stance high box squats) has seen lifters get pretty good results too in the 3 lifts although there is less volume. We always have a few guys using it in some form along with 5X5 and even Westside at the moment. - hell, they all work but IMHO sheiko would be the more PL specific of them and probably the most suited to IPF rules.

So far as muscle growth or size gains I think you cant help but develop because of the volume.

TWL mentions the shirt a lot - bro whats your bench 1RM?..get it out in the open and off your chest so to speak :lol:

Chuck a 2 sec pause in at the bottom for us too :wink:

Doc is right...you dont just put on the"magic" shirt and hey presto! a 200kg bench pops up. This shit is damn hard work and difficult to master...something I for one am not very good at yet and do prefer raw lifting mostly due to how frustrating the equipped lifting can be.

I dont think Sheiko is the be all and end all of programs for strength gains as its more designed for a lifter "competing" in powerlifting. The gains for newbies to the sport can be huge though and its not uncommon to hear of 30+kgs increases in totals over relatively short cycles eg 8-9 weeks, 13 weeks etc. A little more than "newbie gains" going on here?

Even the best lifters still make pretty good gains in a relatively short period of time...Stephen Pritchards name was mentioned for this very reason. Some of the PH and CBC crew too have gotten good results too.

From what Ive seen in the past 2 years (I know its not long so far as observation goes) sheiko would be one of the better programs to follow if you were interested in pursuing PL as a sport. Wendlers too if adapted to IPF style lifts (eg no mono lifts so no real need for wide stance high box squats) has seen lifters get pretty good results too in the 3 lifts although there is less volume. We always have a few guys using it in some form along with 5X5 and even Westside at the moment. - hell, they all work but IMHO sheiko would be the more PL specific of them and probably the most suited to IPF rules.

So far as muscle growth or size gains I think you cant help but develop because of the volume.

Steak, nothing personal against you guys that do the equipped thing I just see it as pointless and myself watch vids ect and want to know what the guy can move without the contraptions on... That's just my opinion and don't get me wrong I love powerlifting I probably follow it more closely than bbing sometimes. I'm just against equipment period it doesnt make sense to me... Raw max record 715, equipped 1015 ish..... It just seems weird to me when I appreciate more what the human body can do on it's own rather than what the body can do with the equipment if you know what I mean. I'm not saying it's not and art in itself and takes years to get the skill right with suits ect I'd just rather see it stripped back.

Last time I tested my max it was 160 with my attempt at a pliftng setup and pause but that's a while back now ATM it would be 155 I'd say. No I'm not strong and don't claim to be!

Well with a bit of good thought you may see IPF RAW in NZ next year bro...

I too am a bit like you (only a little though bro :lol: ) in saying that RAW lifting does show a "true" strength but PL is an eqipped sport and the equipped lifts are nothing like the raw lifts so its like 2 different sports within the same sport....if you catch my drift.

I dont take anything personally on here bro and I thinks its great we can have a bit of banter just like we would at the Viaduct on a friday night :lol: Incidently we have similar raw benches and my shirted bench sucks so we are still even :grin:

yeah ol steaky loves the ol banter! i do have to say benching in a comp is alot diff to benching in the gym. i would like to naturally finish my set then try a bench shirt out one day ya know bench 300kg for shits and giggles see what its all about... lol jokes.

Cant wait for CBC comp... unleash my sheiko #71

Well with a bit of good thought you may see IPF RAW in NZ next year bro...

I too am a bit like you (only a little though bro :lol: ) in saying that RAW lifting does show a "true" strength but PL is an eqipped sport and the equipped lifts are nothing like the raw lifts so its like 2 different sports within the same sport....if you catch my drift.

I dont take anything personally on here bro and I thinks its great we can have a bit of banter just like we would at the Viaduct on a friday night :lol: Incidently we have similar raw benches and my shirted bench sucks so we are still even :grin:

Yeah nah i totally get that bro apples and orages i just prefer the apples! simple as that.

One of the only reasons i log on here is to poke shit at the powerlifters but its all a joke and is for banters sake were are all brothers of the same iron, i'm a closet powerlifter i always have been and if it wasn't for testing id be more interested than training for that than getting in speedos an flexing, i would just do it with 13%bf LOL