Does weight make a difference to strength?

samuelNZ

Why does more body weight make a difference to how much you lift?

Wouldn't a powerlifter have an advantage cutting to a lower body fat then building strength while keeping fat off? So he'd compete in a lower weight class but would still have reasonable muscle mass and strength?

Or is it just that powerlifters love to eat ? :pfft:

Simply put, why does weight gain usually = more tin moved?

Wouldn't a powerlifter have an advantage cutting to a lower body fat then building strength while keeping fat off? So he'd compete in a lower weight class but would still have reasonable muscle mass and strength?

because of leverage.

it takes years to build up lean mass, alot quicker to carry some chub while you wait.lol

because of leverage.

it takes years to build up lean mass, alot quicker to carry some chub while you wait.lol

mass has momentum :nod:

Because more muscle on any given frame means greater force-generating potential. I didn't say strength for a reason -- more muscle translates to greater torque around joints, but there's still the whole neural coordination (skill) side of the matter to consider.

In wider terms, a higher total body weight means more lean tissue. You'll almost always hold the most muscle mass while being a little chubby, unless you're biologically inclined to be sick lean (or don't mind using chemical help).

Sometimes, yes. In my case, there was no point in walking around at 95-100 when I was barely lifting more than I can sub-90. Contrary to popular opinion, fat doesn't do shit. If holding the extra weight makes you lift a little better because you're holding more LBM, that's one thing. Getting fat just to get fat isn't helping anything, IMO and IME (well, aside from a thick midsection being great for squatting strength).

Sometimes it depends on where the weight classes fall, too.

You can never rule out the Wendy's factor :lol:

Because more muscle on any given frame means greater force-generating potential. I didn't say strength for a reason -- more muscle translates to greater torque around joints, but there's still the whole neural coordination (skill) side of the matter to consider.

In wider terms, a higher total body weight means more lean tissue. You'll almost always hold the most muscle mass while being a little chubby, unless you're biologically inclined to be sick lean (or don't mind using chemical help).

Sometimes, yes. In my case, there was no point in walking around at 95-100 when I was barely lifting more than I can sub-90. Contrary to popular opinion, fat doesn't do shit. If holding the extra weight makes you lift a little better because you're holding more LBM, that's one thing. Getting fat just to get fat isn't helping anything, IMO and IME (well, aside from a thick midsection being great for squatting strength).

Sometimes it depends on where the weight classes fall, too.

You can never rule out the Wendy's factor :lol:

Doesnt work like that for me. At 110kgs fat Im far stronger than 97 leanish. The extra 13kgs of fat helps heaps with my strength.

Look at Savickas compared to Pudzianowski. If Savickas was to get his bf down to Pudzianowski he wouldnt be able to lift nearly as much.

Then if you look at Travis Ortmayer who lost weigh came back faster but not as strong.

Different things work for different people as for fat not doing shit I beg to differ.

It made a truck load for me. Carrying an extra 10 kilos of weight made a mass of improvements to my bench , dead and squat. Sometimes i stall for a while then pop on a few kg and the strength increases follow. Of course this doesnt mean i could slam back 6 litres of milk a day forever and look like a xmas ham. What im looking for is lean mass gains. A bigger muscle is a stronger muscle.

Doesnt work like that for me. At 110kgs fat Im far stronger than 97 leanish. The extra 13kgs of fat helps heaps with my strength.

Look at Savickas compared to Pudzianowski. If Savickas was to get his bf down to Pudzianowski he wouldnt be able to lift nearly as much.

Then if you look at Travis Ortmayer who lost weigh came back faster but not as strong.

Different things work for different people as for fat not doing shit I beg to differ.

I won't argue with any of that. Being chubbier helps you hold as much LBM as you're going to hold, and there are leverage issues to think about. A guy like Savickas doesn't have to worry about a weight class, and from his perspective there's little reason to slim up when it's not going to help his sport.

I just think that the "fat is strong" belief gets taken out of context. It's one thing for guys topping out the superheavies, another thing for smaller-framed guys to put work into getting sloppy fat when it's really not helping strength in quite the same way.

I won't argue with any of that. Being chubbier helps you hold as much LBM as you're going to hold, and there are leverage issues to think about. A guy like Savickas doesn't have to worry about a weight class, and from his perspective there's little reason to slim up when it's not going to help his sport.

I just think that the "fat is strong" belief gets taken out of context. It's one thing for guys topping out the superheavies, another thing for smaller-framed guys to put work into getting sloppy fat when it's really not helping strength in quite the same way.

Agree. But I call myself festivaly plump rather than sloppy fat. :pfft:

Just going off my personal experience here have to agree also, Drizzt and I found that when we hit 100+ in BW most of the Smolov days were far easier than being under. I don't think it's a co-insidence that putting on 5 kilos in 4 weeks increased Squats by 35kilo 1RM and putting on a further 4 since then expecting the same kind of gains (maybe not 35 but you get the idea).

For you Sam your trainings going really well the only thing lacking infact is your not fueling the tank as much as you should be.

I think the best way to look at it is an optimal range of body fat for best strength performance results, rather than a linear relationship where more body fat always leads to greater strength.

Being too light (A) is bad, so going from (A) to a chubbier condition (B) will help you a lot, whereas going from (B) beyond a certain threshold © won't really help your strength level in the same way.

Moving from A to B is good, from B to C has a much lower return on investment.