Bodyweight training and calisthenics

I was bored last night and felt like trying something a bit different, so I went to the gym and made a complete dick of myself. I thought I'd try some calisthenics. Well, I tried, and pathetically failed.

First I attempted a human flag. This was, quite literally, a flop. If you don't know what a human flag is, here's a 5-year-old doing it, and setting a world record in the process. :shock:

So then I tried some handstand pushups. Not having mastered the balance for a proper handstand, I figured I'd just do them up against the wall. I managed to grind out one rep. Here's the same little shit showing me up again:

There's nothing like being shown up by a kid to get you motivated, so what started off as playing around is now serious! I WILL perform a human flag and a free-standing handstand pushup.

Has anyone else tried these exercises? More to the point - have you succeeded? :P

Lol, I bet wolf was laughing his head off.

I did some hand stand push ups a few years ago when training with a couple of clients. I had never tried them before so was relieved that i was able to do any (or else I would have looked a complete tosser) I think I did about 6, but that was back my overhead pushing strength was about 25% more than it is now. So you will have to focus on bringing this up a bit I think.

I have done the flag before but that was 30kg ago when I was a teenager, and doing like 10 hours a week martial arts training (think 1000s of sit ups and oblique exercises) and even then I could only hold it for like 3 seconds!

You will struggle with this because of your height and the fact that your over 90kg, physics is against you. Its a hell of alot easier for shorter lighter guys as the leverages really work in thier favour.

Lol, I bet wolf was laughing his head off.

I deliberately chose a time when the gym should be empty - I mean who goes to the gym at 11pm on a Friday night? Quite a few people, it turns out. :oops:

I had another go at the flag tonight, and it felt a lot more promising. Still collapsed immediately, but this time it was a controlled collapse.

Its a hell of alot easier for shorter lighter guys as the leverages really work in thier favour.

That's what I've been telling myself. Toddlers have it easy. :P

Haha I've had a go at both of these and did exactly what you described on the flag. Just collapsed into a heap.

Although the hand stand press up wasn't too difficult. Think I was probably around 5'11 and 80 something kilo when I tried it - could only get a few reps, but I was happy with that.

You're a brave man trying those human flags in a public area. I tried them at a park a few years ago and managed to hold myself there for about .02 of a second before the momentum wore off and I smashed my head on the way down haha.

Can do a couple of handstand push-ups but I suspect the wall lean helps quite a bit...

A big part of handstand pushups is being comfortable with the position and knowing how to move your body effectively. A strong overhead press doesn't mean you can bang out 20 handstand pushups and vice-versa.

Personally when I don't have access to a gym I think the best thing you can do is get out and do some heavy labour. Lugging a chainsaw up and down a steep bank, loading logs, splitting it - it's all the leg/back/trap/arm/shoulder work you need. Same deal with shovelling gravel, building etc. Your mind is kept busy, you get something done and it's a great workout.

You can throw in some basic bodyweight stuff at the end of the day if you think you need it.

I used the squat rack, because it was bolted to the floor and couldn't fall on me. Then I played around with just hanging off the frame, or putting the safety rail down to the lowest position and the barbell at its highest.

Squat rack is not going to work for me. Only one avail and the sides are all square and too fat for my hands.

I thought I was out of options at the gym, until I was half way through abs tonight and noticed a railing, kinda like a ballet railing that I could use the down poles. I'd be flagging with my bottom hand 1inch off the floor (probably safer!!!).

I'll give it a go next time.

I've been scouring the web for tutorials.

Here's the best one on Youtube:

Thanks! Very useful!

What do you think would be some good training for the human flag apart from trying it over and over again?

Having become slightly obsessed with the human flag, I've been scouring the web for tutorials.

Here's the best one on Youtube:

Also check out this article on Beast Skills about how to perform a human flag.

Very helpful! You've inspired me to give it a go. I'll try at the park over the next few days, hopefully don't wreck my shoulder.

• 1 month later...